4hi/low - popping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie - first real post

I have been lurking the site for a while and thought it was time for my first real post. Did a search on this topic and found some info but, not being a mechanic, I could not piece a solid answer together.

I have an '87 60 - stock (for the most part, just a few mods but non-running gear related)

Just to keep things lubricated, I was told to lock the hubs and engage 4x4 hi and low. Did this around town tring to avoid any sharp turns (I heard you can blow up your t-case doing this). I had a to make a semi-sharp turn and heard some poping. Do I need to maintenance something, fix or replace something?? Or is this normal and a sign to back off the turn so I dont break something??

Thoughts? Things I can check? I am trying to become a "do it yourselfer" so any help would be great.

BTW - THIS SITE RULES!!! Thanks to all those who post and help those in need! :beer: :cheers:

Welcome!

While it's good to lock the hubs once in awhile, regardless of driving surface. But it's not good to put it into 4wheel on dry pavement. Dry dirt - OK though. The tranfer is a fully locked unit, no slip between front/rear axles. As you turn, the each wheel follows it's own arc, which means each wheel actually turns at a different speed. Open diffs in the axles tolerate this fine (in fact are designed to do just this) however the trans doesn't like it at all.

Upshot - the noise almost certainly was due to bind in the drivetrain.

Do you think I have hurl anything or scewed it up?

Go drive it in the dirt in 4wheel and see if there any noises.

If you didn't drive that way for more than a few hundred feet, you should be ok.
Unless you were on the throttle. Then it's possible.

There really isn't much need to put it in 4WD to lube stuff. Just locking in the hubs is enough.
But, if it makes you feel better, put it in 4WD with the hubs unlocked and drive it a few hundred feet, then put it back in 2WD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom