4core hzj75 radiator for 1hz swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hzj75 radiator for 1hz swap in 80

Waddup cruiserheads...........in planning my 1hz swap into my 80 w/a440, i have been digging around on subjects such as overheating issues with the 1hz/turbo (got to add the turbo right?).

Now before you guys ask "wtf is this guy adding an auto to 1hz?".......hear me out. I bought my 80 not only for its off road capabilities, but also for its luxury. Plus for the ease of resale i will keep it as stock looking as possible.........did i mention it will have a 1hz? :grinpimp:

To the tech stuff now.......

Now, from the oz sites the radiator from the hzj75 is the way to go to cool the turboed 1hz. But the hzj75 only came in manual tranny, without a tranny cooler, meaning i will have to add one like the Mishimoto. From you guys experience is this sufficient with mild towing?

Btw, as a goal to keep temps down, i will add an oil cooler as well. Along with the turbo, ac, tranny cooler, oil cooler, and engine all taxing the radiator, is the 4 core really enough?

.....i defer till the experts speak.

Jonathan

Last edited:
New OEM US spec FJ80 rad. Diesel 80 rad shroud is a straight bolt up. Inlet/outlets in the correct spots.
If it can keep a 3FE cool it then it will have no problem cooling a 1HZ.

.....Expert indeed, hello Sheldon.

I have a 97 fzj80, looking at toyodiy.com the 3fe & 1fz had different radiators......but are their fan shroud bolt configurations the same? If the same, that means i can use the hzj80 shroud with my radiator (and same $ for now).....woohoo!

While i am at it, I wanted to confirm with you that the 3fe & 1hz tranny bolt pattern is the same? In the Chassis RM184E manual, it only shows one bolt pattern on the A440, for fj80, hzj80, & hdj80. This mean i can just get any A440 from an fj80 (i am in states) to use.

Hey btw, did you sell the 1hdt combo? i was really interested in it, but my clean 50,000Mi 1hz is coming in a couple weeks. Oh, and i need to get some BEBs from you soon, amongst other things...:idea:

Jonathan

Last edited:
Yes, different rads. Inlet/outlets are more or less in the same spot but the rad shrouds won't interchange.
IIRC it's just the captive nut locations on the top that are the hang up. I am sure you could rig it just fine.
If you are having any reservations about cooling then a new OEM rad is a nice place to start and the $450 is not a big deal in the grand scheme of the conversion.
The Bolt pattern on the A44# trannies has been all the same in my experience. Just different Torque converters, valve bodies and bellhousings to suit the various engines.
You will need to come up with a 1HD-T/1HZ ATM bellhousing and torque converter for sure.
Did your 1HZ come out of an ATM Cruiser? If not there will be a bunch of other bits required.

I have a pair 1HD-T A442F combos sitting in my shop that I am trying not to sell, waiting for the right FJ/FZJ80s to come up for sale that I can convert.

Still have a few sets of BEBs on hand, as well as new OEM con rod cap bolts.
Let me know when you need em.

Sheldon

I just went to your website, seems you are parting out a few hdjs. I am looking for fuel system parts, basically everything except injectors and injection pump........so fuel lines, feed pump, heater system, tank.

Regarding bellhousing, even though the bolt pattern is the same, the gasser & diesel A440 bellhousing is different.....is this due to length, girth to support the different flexplate, TC? Is the A440 spline count to TC on 3fe, the same as diesel? OH, and no the 1hz came with a manual R151.......

Also, are any of the hdjs you are parting auto?.....

I will probably need to order the things i need successively as the conversion progresses, so i can wrap my head around the parts......:confused:

Btw, i don't blame you for keeping the 1hdt, i only went 1hz because its cheap and i can run wvo.

Thank you

Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom