Builds 4BT/ NV4500/ SOA - AKA- Project Snowball❄️

Hojack

“Roads...where we’re going we don’t need roads”
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
1,640
Location
Eagle Creek, Oregon
Hopeful the last time I’ll need to remove the axles for final finish up work. Time to install the front 3rd member & locker, disassemble the front leaf pack and add the longer OME add a leaf. Pressure wash & wire wheel them. Dry and primer and paint. Reassemble the pack. Paint the rest of the Ruffstuff SOA hardware. Weld on the hangers and primer and paint. Degrease and clean knuckles and get ready for reassembly. Construct new transfer case crossmember. Connect drivelines. Work on the brakes. A lot of projects still but moving forward. I’ve learned to be patient. The year mark for the 4BT/ SOA conversion is closing in on Mid- January. I thought this project would be half a year but it’s tough with a family, work and enjoying life. The 60 work can’t take up all my time...
 

Hojack

“Roads...where we’re going we don’t need roads”
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
1,640
Location
Eagle Creek, Oregon
Yes but your project snowballed... :rofl: Ok couldn't help myself.

I'm hoping we've got it back on the ground by the end of December. If you finish up the frame welding and get all the painting done reassembly will go quick.
It definitely snowballed in a great way Mike:clap:
 

Hojack

“Roads...where we’re going we don’t need roads”
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
1,640
Location
Eagle Creek, Oregon
This Krylon spray paint is amazing stuff. Sets up fast and has a great feel when dry... perhaps is the good job I’m doing with the flap disc:rofl:
890936D9-9350-406B-A692-E122DBDB7C4C.png
 

Hojack

“Roads...where we’re going we don’t need roads”
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
1,640
Location
Eagle Creek, Oregon
Snows falling and temps getting cooler on Hood. Today was finish up for the Timberline snow gun system. Met with electrian and ran the 480Volt 3phase service to our VFD controller. Bled the air from system and turned it on.
CB68E9E0-0642-4059-9BC0-6EE1D537822F.jpeg

Set drive parameters and started flowing water.
322ED063-21BF-492A-9AE2-82BC16121D3C.jpeg

Cooler next week which will be perfect snow making conditions.
868975C1-1375-43F1-A331-4DE70A7D11C3.jpeg
E08FBA78-BE65-4646-9E41-EA91A9C56A4C.jpeg

Was awesome at 105psi not having one leak.
 

Hojack

“Roads...where we’re going we don’t need roads”
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
1,640
Location
Eagle Creek, Oregon
Solo day trying to get as much off my bucket list as possible. Set the rear axle on axle stands and removed springs and shackles. Pressure washed the Chevy 63s and started primer/ painting the Ruff Stuff hardware.
E6D64BD1-6304-478F-9E17-6D66F264D543.jpeg

Welded the front shackle hangers and spring hanger to the frame. Used a 2” PVC pipe to go over the rubber bushing to keep the paint off of it.
3B0939BB-BDDF-41A0-9056-2E884E2EBDB7.jpeg

Welding the inside spring hangers was fun to figure out. With it so tight I had to weld from the opposite side looking under the transmission and bell housing.
BEF0E3C0-84A8-4D68-A836-E057A4C381D7.jpeg

Welded the top side of the overload plates on rear axle to keep water out of the top. Primer and painted the overload plates.
73523FE4-1326-4F92-9D8D-8CA333A0E33F.jpeg

Next on the list is painting the 63s when dry. Clean the seal on the differential so the 3rd can be installed. Disassemble the front leaf pack. Wire wheel and clean up. Paint and add in the new add a leaf. Start cleaning up and preparing the knuckles. Getting closer...
 
Last edited:

Hojack

“Roads...where we’re going we don’t need roads”
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
1,640
Location
Eagle Creek, Oregon
Front leaf pack disassemble. Used pipe vice to clamp spring. Claw part of hammer worked really well to remove the clamps.
F3794E58-E393-4479-9E1D-9F0C03C540F2.jpeg

Once free, cut nut on bottom of pack with grinder then used punch to drive out the bolt. The bolts were really hard to remove.
9E7E7564-6653-47B7-8BD9-57C96F738048.jpeg

Got out wire wheel and started the cleaning process.
BEFORE
25BCD50C-1A79-4FEF-8ED2-232DE62F62FA.jpeg

AFTER
3F41A3B3-8435-40EC-8864-A4905BC820ED.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom