Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About 10 hours of non stop work on the front axle today.
66556E6C-EB1E-43DE-979A-4ABE7C6C0581.jpeg

Used the I-beam and forklift to get the weight of cruiser on the springs.
98DE81D0-D682-4199-B3C7-4FFFDE2E336F.jpeg

Shackle angle at ride height ended up being 41 degrees.
1E6EB8D5-1144-45F4-9B51-192CE56FDB0B.jpeg

154C8F99-6AAD-4AC7-A71C-E5ECDB1C9986.jpeg

Finally the installation of the Ruff Stuff Kit. Axle placement is 1-1/2” forward from stock.
8E8F875F-58DA-44EA-8ACE-32CC236265FB.jpeg

Mocking everything up and figuring out pinion angle.
95628515-9719-4E11-8D5F-0C2521FF6049.jpeg

Tack welded the brackets to the axle.
5FB9309E-D416-461B-B32A-AB1B48EF82B6.jpeg

Removed the axle and welded on the hardware.

We made good technical progress today and having that forklift to play with was awesome. It made getting ride height with the weight of the rig super easy and we were able to really drill down on what it was going to sit like. With the pinion angle set (will run a DC joint on the driveshaft) we had 2 degrees of caster. Since the axle was prepped we went ahead and cut 'n turned to 4.5 degrees of caster. I know it was only for 2 degrees more but running bigger meats, being taller, and Hojack's intended usage made the cut 'n turn worth it. It only added about an hour of extra work so it wasn't out of the way in the big picture of the time we're spending on it to do it right.

We did do a bit of grinding on the ruff stuff passenger perch to get it set where we wanted it but I think it turned out great. The 3rd member will need a slight shave to be able to slide the rear perch inner bolt into place from beneath.

Looking at the springs we want to put in a long AAL to give the pack a little more support. With plans to take the packs apart for cleaning and painting anyways it will be convenient to do. They turned out very flat at ride height.

Again thanks for the help Mike. Your knowledge and foresight is most appreciated! A lot of progress today, pictures don’t show half of it. Should have taken more. Some more helpers possible next week Friday/ Saturday. More stuff for me to prep. Also need to take 3rd member and Elocker into KNA Offroad for install.

My buddy Jeremy who did the diesel swap with me had his first kid, a boy, on Friday. He said he may be able to assist next week.

My buddy Matt was elk hunting today. Hope to get a report late tomorrow or Monday when he gets back. He said he’d be able to help next week.

Looks good guys.
As for that passesneger side spring bolt I just ground half of the bolt head off. I just completely tossed that thin piece they sent to go under the passenger spring perch, I was not impressed by that design.

I see you also have the same issue with the u-bolts as I did. Either Ruffstuff is sending the wrong bolts or they are bending them too small, I had to cut them all off and get 3.5” U-bolts
from a 1-ton axle and they fit perfectly.

Went hunting and sure didn’t figure on coming back with a pup but the ranch dogs had a great litter that they wanted to find homes for. My brother found 2 friends that wanted ones too. Here he is just before heading home. His name is Reload.
View attachment 1829909
He’s cute! Cattle dog?

Looks good guys.
As for that passesneger side spring bolt I just ground half of the bolt head off. I just completely tossed that thin piece they sent to go under the passenger spring perch, I was not impressed by that design.

I see you also have the same issue with the u-bolts as I did. Either Ruffstuff is sending the wrong bolts or they are bending them too small, I had to cut them all off and get 3.5” U-bolts
from a 1-ton axle and they fit perfectly.
After tack welding the perches we removed the axle and welded both on the axle stands. Cut that plate in half. Used grinder to match the contour of the side of the pumpkin. I should have taken some pictures but evening was quickly approaching. I’ll take some when we pull the axle again for painting and installing the locker in 3rd member.
We had to also grind the axle for the U-bolts but they fit tight. I think Ruffstuff would rather have them too tight then too loose.

He’s cute! Cattle dog?
Yep. Boarder Collie, Australian Shepard, Blue Healer mix, he’s almost 7 weeks. While Mike and I worked my brother called his friend who took my pups brother we brought back from hunting. They got to play for about an hour together.

Yep. Boarder Collie, Australian Shepard, Blue Healer mix, he’s almost 7 weeks. While Mike and I worked my brother called his friend who took my pups brother we brought back from hunting. They got to play for about an hour together.
My female is half Aussie (blue and cinnamon), half who knows but thinner and long legged unlike an Aussie. Insanely smart and annoying. My male has the colouring of an Aussie and Shepard but the appetite and fierce love of a lab. My mutts are the perfect mixes. Reload will be right up there too. Congrats!

C840D694-43F8-4575-811B-7B99E2C96DD6.jpeg

Going to add a longer leaf to the front pack. With load the springs have a very slight negative arch in the rear.
Remove the springs and disassemble the pack. Wire wheel and remove the rust. Primer and paint. Going to call Oregon Spring to get an additional long leaf hopefully tomorrow.

8E93C3DA-9C20-48CD-B069-6002A49EBC43.jpeg
8AC54E57-E0E2-45AD-8247-16C8207A73F3.jpeg

The cutter wheel broke just as it cut through the outer axle. Had to use angle grinder with cut off disc on the second cut. Both worked well. The blade on our Rigid pipe cutter is really old, plus the deeper the cut and it started to drift more toward the shoulder of the axle.

@cruiseroutfit
I called and talked to Byron today about adding another long leaf to my rear spring pack I moved to the front of my 60. Will the OME one you have work with the stock springs?

@cruiseroutfit
I called and talked to Byron today about adding another long leaf to my rear spring pack I moved to the front of my 60. Will the OME one you have work with the stock springs?

It's not an application we've done much with recently. Physically they can fit, but they are not designed for stock springs and fhe stock spring clamps will need some modification.

It's not an application we've done much with recently. Physically they can fit, but they are not designed for stock springs and fhe stock spring clamps will need some modification.
Do the leafs have the same thickness as the stock ones?
My spring clamps look as though they will need to be replaced if I add another leaf.

Last edited:
Do the leafs have the same thickness as the stock ones?
My spring clamps look as though they will need to be replaced if I add another leaf.

Yes, similar thickness.

Ordered OME add a leaf to stiffen my stock springs from @cruiseroutfit. Thanks Kurt.
The Harrop Elocker is at KNA Offroad with the 3rd member.
This Saturday will be time for the rear 80s axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom