Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Didn't know my 4 speed in the garage could bring 500 wow. I sold a good running 2f for 500 and was tickled to get it!
Considering I spent $692.00 on transmission service 12/2016 I'm happy to get $500 back to spend on the project.

Yeah i wouldn't be inclined to putting anti-seize on components, have seen anti-seize cause problems when it gets hot.
I was thinking of using copper antiseize on the bolts for the exhaust manifold.

Considering I spent $692.00 on transmission service 12/2016 I'm happy to get $500 back to spend on the project.
Heck...I have 3-4 of the 4 speeds sitting in my shop. Giving one to a friend but would be awesome to sell the others :)

If you use loctite instead it will prevent thread corrosion. Purple or blue should work for most engine fasteners. If you are worried bolts will get rusty and break you can also upgrade to stronger bolts like grade 8 or 10. For my exhaust manifold bolts on my ls motor I am upgrading to grade 10 bolts since the stock ones are famous for breaking. You can also apply fipg to threads to keep corrosion out. Once it dries in the hole it will seal it off.

My buyer for the 2F motor is coming this afternoon. His motor has two bad cylinders plus he said it's his wife's cruiser so this should be interesting. Any other lady cruiser followers on IH8MUD? He said he was willing to pay $1000. I went to school with his cousin so that's pretty cool. Hopefully it works out. Should be able to pull the motor and transmission Tuesday so the build can begin.

I drove over the scale today to weigh in the 60 with 2F. It weighed 4500 pounds. Tomorrow we are going through the 4bt and installing new alternator, started, gaskets, removing killer dowl pin, etc. This is my daily driver and plan to keep it that way so I'm looking for a comfortable safe ride. I like the OME SUA. With the 4BT and OME I'm assuming I still need a shackle reverse for clearance. The only part I don't like is seeing the leaf springs. If I go SOA will it be a less comfortable drive? Should I get new springs for SOA, rearch existing springs? I'm not a suspension expert so looking for advice. I'd like to have some other 4bt swappers give their advice.

Mine is soa and has the original springs with an add a leaf in the front and back. I have a bumper in the front and rear and eventually added rear air bags for towing a trailer. It's comfortable and allows you a greater tire selection.

Been a rough week at work but the step van sold today so I got $500. My coworker at work is buying its Husky tool chest for $200. The 4BT is on the engine stand now as we're going through it. Painted a few spots to check color. Now I just need a 2F motor buyer. Had a buyer but his grandpa is the mechanic to install and thought they'd just rebuild their motor with 2 bad cylinders. He thought it would be less to rebuild their motor.Thought $1000 pulled was a great price.

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7921.JPG

I need to find a picture of mine when I first got it for comparison. It was grease and oil coated. I say yours looks like it just rolled off the factory floor.

I think it may have. The previous owner was a house framer and bought the step van for a mobile tool shep. It was an old FedEx truck so it was a safe spot for tools. When I drove it back to Oregon on the freeway I flew past Toyota Prius like they were sitting still:rofl:

I think it may have. The previous owner was a house framer and bought the step van for a mobile tool shep. It was an old FedEx truck so it was a safe spot for tools. When I drove it back to Oregon on the freeway I flew past Toyota Prius like they were sitting still:rofl:
Curious to know which turbo you have on there.

HX30? Your oil pan is in backwards than mine is. Make sure you can clear the diff, might have to bolt it on the other way.
Yeah that's the step van configuration. Is yours that deep? We are still in the air if I want SOA or stay SUA. I know your SOA which I like better for clearance and looks. I like the SUA for a more comfortable ride. If I go SUA I'd go OME with a shackle reverse. On your SOA you just added a leaf? Did you rearch the springs too? How's the ride compared to stock?

When I bought mine, the soa was already done. Im pretty sure the previous owner did not re-arch. I'll ask him the next time I see him. The ride is comfortable, but that is relative to what you're used to. I had top change the seats because they were lopsided. I've taken it all across Texas to new Mexico and back, pretty enjoyable ride. But its obviously not as comfortable as my 2017 Tacoma. So it depends on what youre used to and your tolerance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom