Builds 4bt cummins 96 FZJ (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I have been around here for about a year collecting information and feel like people will be interested in see the progress

A little info on me:
First truck 91 Toyota extra-cab 4wd. Only had it a year and needed a bigger truck. Fad a few fords in the mix and Toyota cars and a jeep cj7 for 13 years during all these. Jeep evolved into a crawler 40" tires coilovers with the 4bt.
The jeep got to big and wasn't wheeling as much so parts it out to get the fj-80.

My current rides:
98 12v dodge 6bt with 240k
03 Suzuki SV 650 40k
96 fj-80 230k diesel swap in progress.

Now on to the swap...

Kept the 4bt out of my jeep. Planning on using stock auto so my wife feels comfortable driving it. 10" coilover front minimal lift. 35" tires

Last edited:
Since buying it
35" x/t and M/T classic II
1.5" body lift for 3" over the frame exhaust
Custom front winch bumper and custom rear tube bumpers
Neoprene heated seat covers
7 pin mod
Center diff lock
Led interior lights off E-bay

image-304419453.jpg

image-4117598170.jpg

image-97252333.jpg

image-540550921.jpg

Took a week off to work on the diesel swap here's where it's at now

image-108560043.jpg

image-2252431175.jpg

image-979907040.jpg

image-700279348.jpg

image-3163182534.jpg

image-853431112.jpg

Looking very nice. Whose adapter are you using? Jonesy's?

Pat

Yes diesel adapter/allmaras machine/ jonesy unit

I will get more of a write-up going this week

Yes diesel adapter/allmaras machine/ jonesy unit I will get more of a write-up going this week
Lucky you. I understand Jonsey will no longer sell the adapter to the general public. Pat

Last edited:
Nice build so far! That is one crazy rear bumper! :cheers:

Lots of power options on the 4BT as I'm sure the OP is aware of. Most 4BT owners don't keep their engine in stock form.

I'm looking forward to watching this build.

Are you concerned going from 212hp down to 120hp?

The adapters are still available, www.dieseladapters.com :cheers:

Lucky you. I understand Jonsey will no longer sale the adapter to the general public.

Pat

YUP :cheers:

Jonesy's doesnt make the adapter, dieseladapters.com does (69rambler is his name on here) . The adapter is still readily available.

I'm looking forward to watching this build. Are you concerned going from 212hp down to 120hp?

I mentioned a have had this 4bt in a jeep CJ7. I swapped out a 300hp AMC 360 V8. Even at the stock 105hp I was happy. It's a balance of HP and torque.

It will be closer to 200hp when in stalled in the cruiser. Probably had about 150hp when I pulled it out of the jeep

Last edited:
BTW OP, how do you like all that engine room??? Pretty awesome...lots of room for an intercooler/ etc with that adapter stock trans setup. The stock dodge auto many use put the 4BT way too far forward, no room at all. Have fun! :cheers:

Love it.

Almost don't have to even mess with tie rod or oils pan. Pic of the tie rod and pan touching is full compression no castor correction.

Will be takin a little bit out of the pan just for good measure and 3/4" of clearance behind the tie rod and about 1.5" up. Even though with a 2" lift and bump stops it's really not needed in my book.

Subscribed! How do you plan on handling the electronics for the stock auto?

Great job so far!

Its funny when people find out you are putting in a 4cyl diesel that only makes 120hp in place of a 215hp gas engine. People do not realize how little they use the 215ho of the stock engine having to rev over 4000RPM to get it. I'll take 450ft/lbs at 1700rpm any day over that. Not to mention 180-200hp is fairly easy to get out of the 3.9L diesels.

Keep up the good work. :cheers:

Subscribed! How do you plan on handling the electronics for the stock auto?

I have two options in the works.
1. Keep TB sensor and linkage for stock computer and inputs to make the computer happy. And then run linkage to the injection pump. This I am confident will work but not ideal for full control
2. Get the controller that diesel adapters is developing for there kit. Depends on price.

How would #1 option work? It would seem like without an actual running 6 cylinder under the hood, the computer wouldn't control any part of the transmission because it would think the motor was off? Do you have any more info on option #1?

Someday I hope to stick a 4bt in my cruiser, but I haven't heard too many options on what people are using on the a442f and their electronics. Thanks!

I have two options in the works.
1. Keep TB sensor and linkage for stock computer and inputs to make the computer happy. And then run linkage to the injection pump. This I am confident will work but not ideal for full control
2. Get the controller that diesel adapters is developing for there kit. Depends on price.

you have a a442f that already has a stand alone controller but you just can't re-program. I have the a343 which is controlled integral with the engine harness. I have some work ahead of me but it will start with basically having the TB hooked up under the hood (not in my intake) for Throttle position input. I will rig up linkage to the injection pump that is adjustable to give transfer to the actual throttle on the injection pump and eventually make much more compact linkage after proving the whole thing in. Not saying it's a proven way to do it just have some ideas. probably will not be ready to start that portion for a month or more. Diesel Adapters/69Rambler/Allmaras Machine is way ahead of me on this learning curve.

The second option will be probably taken. I have talked with 69Rambler several times over the last year and a half. he is developing some good products. I am determined to make it work whether it his kit or not. When I started down this path a year ago there wasn't a controller on the market so I had already stared playing with the idea of integrating the old computer and tricking it to do what I wanted.

Hope that gets you thinking about it. No swap is easy but I like the build and challenge just as much as driving and wheeling, maybe more.

The ability and control with Compushift is ideal and is very close to being released.

Great job so far!

Its funny when people find out you are putting in a 4cyl diesel that only makes 120hp in place of a 215hp gas engine. People do not realize how little they use the 215ho of the stock engine having to rev over 4000RPM to get it. I'll take 450ft/lbs at 1700rpm any day over that. Not to mention 180-200hp is fairly easy to get out of the 3.9L diesels.

Likewise been watching your engine build on 4btswaps.

Ya it would be worth while for someone to over lay a 5.3 chevy, 4.5 1fz, 4bt, 4bdt1/2 6bt torque and hp curves on one graph. it's probably been done.

I love diesel's usable power. when you talk Diesel HP and torque max is at running down the road RPM and not down shift to achieve it power. I personally hate to have to down shift to get the power needed for mild terrain changes on the hwy it aggravates me. but I am a long time diesel nut.

Cool build!:beer:

Great job so far!

Absolutely!!:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom