4bt and nv4500 project cost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
Cracking numbers so others can see how much a diesel cruiser swap can run.
The step van with 2007 Cummins factory 4BT rebuilt and 5 speed Eaton transmission cost $4200.
I wanted to know my final cost with a 4BT and a newly rebuilt nv4500.
I've got buyers for the following and costs.
Original cost $4200
Step van - $500
Husky tool chest -$200
Eaton transmission. -$400
2F FJ60 motor -$1000
4speed FJ60 tranny -$500
4BT cost $1600
NV4500w/ bell hsg +$2000
Project cost. $3600
That's a $600 profit from original cost and we have a 2007 Cummins rebuilt motor and a freshly rebuilt nv4500 with warranty and bell housing.

Last edited:
Nicely done

My buddy Jeremy recently swapped a 6BT Cummins in his 72 Ford Highboy which has a flatbed. He is a great book of knowledge. I'm not a Motörhead but he is and also has a friend Casey who's about as good of metal fabricator as they come. Knowing Jeremy who's diesels well I found an ad on Craigslist on a 4BT FJ80 swap in Montana. The FJ80 looked nice and the video of the 4BT running and idling sounded good. The interior video looked alright, a bit worn. He was asking $13K which was high for me so I asked if he had a low number...??? He said he would go down to $10K. Reviewing the video with my wife and seeing rear retractable seat belts and 3rd row seating my wife jumped on board. "WHAT ABOUT YOUR CRUISER???" She asked.? Ya??? The excitement about a diesel and I forgot about my 60. "Well I guess I'll sell it" Called Jeremy and some other buddies and sent video. Looks good, sounds good. The seller said he would drive to Oregon. Set up a a day to meet. Jeremy and I met seller and noticed first thing oil was leaking all over front driveline.
The second valve cover had oil all over it. When looking at the motor is was tilted leaning toward passenger side with the starter resting on the frame. The interior was more than a little worn it was really bad. My guy sank but I climbed in the drivers seat and we started it up. Instantly that diesel tractor rumbling drew my attention. We went on about a 5 mile drive. The 4BT was way different than my 2F. I knew I wanted one. We got back to my shop where Jermey and I talked. We figured it was really worth 7-8K. We went back and offered $7800 but he tucked tail and said he'd put $30K in it. Wow, if I sank $30K in a vehicle it'd still look like it. He said he'd be in Portland for a day and think about it. After he left I looked at my 60 with joy I still had it. We need to put a 4BT in my cruiser I told Jeremy. Great he said. Now we just need to find one... and that's where my 4BT swap story continues on my other post. So thankful I did not part with my 60. Your vehicle becomes a part of you so drive what you enjoy. I enjoy mountaineering and wilderness backpacking and my cruiser gets me there everytime and is the first to greet me on the journey home.

IMG_7847.PNG

IMG_7848.PNG

I saw that 80 series listed on craigslist. what happened the next day?

I saw that 80 series listed on craigslist. what happened the next day?
He decided that with all the issues we noticed and money he spent that he was just going to keep it.

Best thing I ever did to my 62 was put a 4bt in it. My smiles per gallon nearly doubled.

Last edited:
Smiles per gallon is the only number that really matters.

My buddy Jeremy recently swapped a 6BT Cummins in his 72 Ford Highboy which has a flatbed. He is a great book of knowledge. I'm not a Motörhead but he is and also has a friend Casey who's about as good of metal fabricator as they come. Knowing Jeremy who's diesels well I found an ad on Craigslist on a 4BT FJ80 swap in Montana. The FJ80 looked nice and the video of the 4BT running and idling sounded good. The interior video looked alright, a bit worn. He was asking $13K which was high for me so I asked if he had a low number...??? He said he would go down to $10K. Reviewing the video with my wife and seeing rear retractable seat belts and 3rd row seating my wife jumped on board. "WHAT ABOUT YOUR CRUISER???" She asked.? Ya??? The excitement about a diesel and I forgot about my 60. "Well I guess I'll sell it" Called Jeremy and some other buddies and sent video. Looks good, sounds good. The seller said he would drive to Oregon. Set up a a day to meet. Jeremy and I met seller and noticed first thing oil was leaking all over front driveline.
The second valve cover had oil all over it. When looking at the motor is was tilted leaning toward passenger side with the starter resting on the frame. The interior was more than a little worn it was really bad. My guy sank but I climbed in the drivers seat and we started it up. Instantly that diesel tractor rumbling drew my attention. We went on about a 5 mile drive. The 4BT was way different than my 2F. I knew I wanted one. We got back to my shop where Jermey and I talked. We figured it was really worth 7-8K. We went back and offered $7800 but he tucked tail and said he'd put $30K in it. Wow, if I sank $30K in a vehicle it'd still look like it. He said he'd be in Portland for a day and think about it. After he left I looked at my 60 with joy I still had it. We need to put a 4BT in my cruiser I told Jeremy. Great he said. Now we just need to find one... and that's where my 4BT swap story continues on my other post. So thankful I did not part with my 60. Your vehicle becomes a part of you so drive what you enjoy. I enjoy mountaineering and wilderness backpacking and my cruiser gets me there everytime and is the first to greet me on the journey home.

View attachment 1609957

View attachment 1609960

Love seeing a nice saw in the back, ran a saw on a Hotshot wildfire crew for a couple years. You find a 4bt yet? You mentioned the story continues in another post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom