49 State VS CA Emissions Cat (CARB) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Questions for CA mud members who have replaced their cats.

I am looking at buying a new y pipe and cat from Magnuson.

Besides being more expensive I'm assuming the CA (CARB) versions are more restrictive.

Has any one used a non CARB version and passed sniffer/visual?

Just trying to figure out what the difference is and if it really matters on a truck this old.

Thanks.

CARB version will have labeling on the outside. A new cat without the correct labeling and application will fail. You will not notice a difference, with exception to a lighter wallet.

Yep if you're in CA they will check for the CARB label on anything after market. I put headers on my dodge truck when I lived down there, which were CARB approved, but the guy didn't see the label. He failed my truck even though in his words "it tested cleaner than a Prius". In this case I was able to point out the label and get it corrected but if you don't have one your wasting your time. For the most part there is no difference in the products, some companies just don't want to spend the time and money to get the approval.

Good luck to the smog tech finding numbers after I ceramic coat them and have slider armor in the way.
Supposedly the CA versions are more “efficient” so do that mean you get a higher flow, same, or less?

I have the CA Magnaflow y-pipe + cats and they still gave me hell. They were adamant I had an illegal aftermarket downpipe even though the first cat had the CARB #. We had to pull up the CARB website, find the approved part numbers and compared it to multiple photos online before they finally agreed. I wouldn't mess around with non-CA versions or covering up numbers unless you have a tech you can trust.

I have a cage around mine so we included cutouts for the numbers to be visible.

EnIDpbEh.jpg

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as "49 state legal." That's a made up term that basically means it will not meet CA emissions. Since CARB was established BEFORE the formation of the EPA, CARB was granted allowance to govern the state of CA independently. This works because CARB standards have consistently been more aggressive than EPA standards which govern "the other 49 states." CA is the only state with separate emissions and air standards. As for the other responses in this thread, they are correct that unless there is a CARB "E.O" number clearly and visibly stamped on any aftermarket part touching any component between the air intake and the exhaust tip, SMOG can fail you - though the inspectors really only look at major intake components and exhaust items through the exit if the catalytic converter.

Here's the real clinker, and it's going to be a huge headache moving forward. EPA standards apply to ALL 50 STATES, and explicitly prohibit the tampering of ANY factory emissions system on any vehicle manufactured during or after 1975. Doing so is a direct violation of the Clean Air Act and is a criminally punishable offense. Only some states have smog inspection, so the assumption by many has been "if they ain't looking, I ain't breaking any laws." Not to be a doomsday'er, but with the current administration overseeing the White House, the Senate and Congress, and their stated objectives to significantly advance global clean air initiatives, don't be surprised if you see 50 state emission inspection become a thing - very soon. And, every car manufactured after 1975 that doesn't have factory emissions will have to either cease operation or have to be returned to factory emissions compliance.

Sounds like a horror story, right? Noodle on this... How do aggressively force a transition of transportation infrastructure to EV? Well, one simple way would be to start enforcing existing EPA laws in "the 49 states" outside of CA. Additionally, if you subscribe to the belief that increasing taxes is a sound economic theory to generate revenue, consider that requiring all 50 states to start SMOG inspection would generate Billions in service fees, equipment investment, tech training, state and local fines, etc., not to mention leveraging many consumers to buy EV.

Just to add some more salt to the wound, if you think laws can only be made by the legislator, you'd be wrong. The EPA is the ONLY exception to that rule. The EPA, as a government agency, has the privilege of creating law with absolutely zero debate from either political parties or lobbyist.

Maybe this is all just me wearing my tin foil hat, but that's the writing on the wall I see...

I have the CA Magnaflow y-pipe + cats and they still gave me hell. They were adamant I had an illegal aftermarket downpipe even though the first cat had the CARB #. We had to pull up the CARB website, find the approved part numbers and compared it to multiple photos online before they finally agreed. I wouldn't mess around with non-CA versions or covering up numbers unless you have a tech you can trust.

EnIDpbEh.jpg

Man I love that SB plate. Looking forward to having them work on my rig, once I find the time to get it over to them.

EnIDpbEh.jpg
My neighbor's Prius could sure use one of those...

:lol:

/ hijack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom