46&2's 85 4Runner build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sweet rig now after finding your post and seeing your flex shots I cant wait to get mine done!!!!!

Went to Cal Rocs 2009, here are some high light photos

redjeep2.jpg

brokenyota.jpg

extraction.jpg

stockerredjeep.jpg

max9.jpg

This is a guy I have gone snow wheeling with several times named Brandon. He did pretty damn good... too bad everyone in this course pointed out by hitting too many cones.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

b9.jpg

b10.jpg

b11.jpg

b12.jpg

b13.jpg

From Guatemala

Greetings from:
Guatemala C.A.

Men you have a amazing machine!!
I love 4X4 and i own a Suzuky (JImny, non sale un USA), but im looking for a beter 4X4 mine is kind of tiny.:rolleyes:
So im looking for a 4Runner, great vehicle, the only probrem is the front independent suspencion.

You´r Tread is spirador, for how i want mi 4X4 to look.:cheers:

Here you can´t find ass much 4x4 equipment, as you do on the States, here we built them, or pay alot $$$ for geting them.:bang:

But for the pictures on you tread, now i have an idea, to how to do stuff and modifications.:idea:

:clap:congrats ansome tread, raely useful info!!!!:cheers:

(sorry for my English, i dont write to much in english)

Greetings from:
Guatemala C.A.

Men you have a amazing machine!!
I love 4X4 and i own a Suzuky (JImny, non sale un USA), but im looking for a beter 4X4 mine is kind of tiny.:rolleyes:
So im looking for a 4Runner, great vehicle, the only probrem is the front independent suspencion.

You´r Tread is spirador, for how i want mi 4X4 to look.:cheers:

Here you can´t find ass much 4x4 equipment, as you do on the States, here we built them, or pay alot $$$ for geting them.:bang:

But for the pictures on you tread, now i have an idea, to how to do stuff and modifications.:idea:

:clap:congrats ansome tread, raely useful info!!!!:cheers:

(sorry for my English, i dont write to much in english)

Thank you very much!!!! It means a lot to me to know that what I have done can be of some assistance to someone else. That is exactly why I put the build online, to hopefully help someone else find a cheap way to build their truck. If you have any questions, let me know!

For everything I wasn't able to find at a junkyard, I went with Marlin Crawler. They produce top notch parts and they have awesome customer service. Hope to see you starting a build up thread for your 4runner soon!!! Also no need to apologize for your english, I understood you perfectly :)

Take care. :cheers:

I haven't updated in a while.... I broke down a month or two back, I thought I blew up my tranny. I was driving out of a parking lot one day and about to shift from first to second when suddenly there was a loud bang and my truck just reved out and didn't go anywhere. I tried to lock my hubs and use 4wd, but that did not work either. Driveshafts were not spinning. The truck acted like it was driving, but just sat there idling in gear, not going anywhere. There was a loud clackity clack grind noise that SOUNDED like it was coming from the transmission, so I assumed it was either the clutch or the tranny.

First I checked the clutch, it was still good, the Centerforce Dual friction I put in 5 years ago still had at least another year or two of live left. So I ordered a new Marlin HD 1600 lb clutch anyway to keep the Centerforce as a trail spare. I noticed that I am missing the little ball that goes in the shifter of the transmission, so I will need to get one of those. The tranny never gave any indication of being on its way out, there were some chunks in the tranny oil but it never burned the oil bad gave me any problems. Plus I always thought W56s were supposed to be pretty tough trannies. Anyway I got busy and frustrated with the whole situation, coupled with buying a DD (85 celica supra) left the 4runner sitting for a while.

marlinHDclutch.jpg

Finally getting the motivation to work on it again I pulled the rear case off and inspected the adapter and 4.7 input shaft. This is what I found :eek:

strippedmarlincoupler.jpg

strippedmarlincoupler2.jpg

Input was mangled and coupler was nearly stripped aside from the outtermost splines on the rear case side of the coupler.

I called Marlin Crawler and spoke with Jon and explained my situation. He told me to send the coupler and the input in and he would take a look at it and figure out if he could help me out.

My adapter only had 15,000 miles on it since it was installed a year and a half ago, and the 1 year warranty expired before I even installed the dual cases (didnt put them in until a year and a half after I bough the adapter) so I thought I was going to be up s*** creek.

I should have known better though, because its Marlin Crawler, duh!!

When I talked to Jon again he told me what happened. My 4.7 gears were one of the first 500 sets made by Marlin Crawler, a LONG time ago. They had been in my truck for at least 10 years or more (PO couldn't remember when he had them put in) and what ended up happing was the splines on my input started to get mangled over time, and eventually raped the hell out of the coupler in the adapater. I had thought it was the other way around. Unfortunately, there were no replacement 4.7 inputs that were the same design as the ones I had. So my only option was to buy a new 4.7 gear set.... :crybaby:

BUT... in true Marlin Crawler fashion.... they hooked me up!! Being a broke ass college student I feared that this was going to cost way too much for me to repair any time soon, but Jon told me what they were going to do. They were going to give me a new 23 spline (my old one was 21) coupler free of charge, and they also gave me a pretty kick ass discount on the new 4.7 gear set with the total spline technology.

Least I can say is THANK YOU MARLIN CRAWLER!!!!! :beer::beer::beer:

The parts came today. My tcases are all torn apart at my buddy's shop so Monday I will get the parts over there so we can get the new gears and coupler in and slap it all back together. Hoping to have my 4runner rolling here shortly.... :steer:

new47sandcoupler.jpg

how much was your estimated cost for doing everything?

how much was your estimated cost for doing everything?

I could get you an overall cost estimate based on how much I have sunk into it from day one, but that would take forever, and also probably make me cringe, Though I think I did save a lot of money in the long haul. So what I will do is compile a list of the components I am currently running at this point in time and the overall estimate of what I have sunk into the CURRENT set up.

Let me crunch some numbers.

Chevy 63s w/ stock chevy shackle: $60
Wagoneer stock front springs: $40
Front drop spring hanger from 4x4 Labs: $100
6" shackles front and rear (dual in the rear w/ chevy shackle) $30
rear spring hangers: $15
front and rear shocks Bilstein 5125s(4): $320
extended steel brake lines all around: $20
front drive shaft: $60
Rear Drive shaft: $100
MarlinV6 calipers w/ pads: $240
MarlinFJ60 rotors (2): $80
Marlin Big Bore master cylinder: $130
Ford shock towers: $beer
IFS Box: $beer
Marlin High Steer: $400
Marlin Sliders (on sale): $100
Marlin Rear Bumper: $300
Marlin Dual Case Adapter (w/ 23 spline coupler): $370
Marlin 23 spline 4.7s: $300 :D
5.29s and V6 rear axle, welded: $200
5.29s, open front: $300
15x10 black steel rims: $50
35x12.50x15 Goodyear MTRs: $300
Misc Nuts bolts and other bull****: $200

Approximate Total: $3,715

I did most of the labor along with my friends Wade and Kyle who did most of the welding. Their fee was beer, so you can probably figure in another $100 or so in beer costs if your welders accept liquid money :D

Also remember I spread these costs over a time span of about a year or so and bought what I could, when I could. Being a poor ass college student, the only way I could go about this was gradually. While $3,715 seems like a lot, I feel I saved a huge amount of money in the build process from start to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom