*J45/47 Body Style, Frame Dates, and Production Numbers(revised). (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bear

SILVER Star
Threads
*UPDATED CHART BELOW*
Having followed the various 45 registries here on Mud, I have a question for the "experts" among us: what are the various starting and stopping dates and frame numbers for each of the different 45/47 series models?

To start a collection of this info, I have typed a summary of the most recently available date, and this is all subject to corrections from those "in the know."

So, here goes:

This can all get quite confusing with the various models and variations over a 60 year span !
Sometimes Toyota changed its model designators.

The Specter Off Road FJ45 Frame List only lists 1964-1968 frame numbers, and it is apparently for all the various concurrent models thrown in together. But what are the dates for: FJ45P/FJ45LP short bed pickups, the pre-1980 FJ45P-B/FJ45LP-B long bed pickups, FJ45V/FJ45LV wagons, and the pre-1980 Troopies? I have info for the 8/80-4/86 FJ45, the 8/80-10/84 BJ45, and info for the 8/80-6/85 HJ47.

Is there any info about pre-1980 production serial numbers of soft-tops vs hard-tops, fixed-top vs removeable top shorties?

I have read that the 45 series frame numbering actually started with FJ45-10001--is that correct, since Toyota printed that the 45 and 47 assembly lines each started with serial 000001 (eg. "FJ45-000001") for all except exports to the European market (those are 800001, 850001, 900001, 950001)?

Since as stated above, records from 8/80 onwards, state that there were different serial numberings for models intended for the European market, are there different numberings for the Japanese home market as well, or are they part of the overall 45/47 frame numbering records?

And to complicate matters even more, what exactly are the frame numbering records for the various non-Japanese assembly plants: Venezuela, South Africa, Brazil (Bandeirante), etc. that assembled CompleteKnockDown trucks from Japanese and home-market parts. I'm assuming that the flat-beds assembled in Australia were from cab/frame models sent there from Japan? South American ID (VIN) plates indicate a different numbering system.

Part of my reasons for asking this is to put the various FJ45 models in the Mud registries into perspective, bracketed by a starting and a stopping point, since so many examples seem to have been lost or destroyed over the years.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
UPDATED ON 2/1/2023:

*J45/47. BODY STYLE, FRAME DATES, AND PRODUCTION NUMBERS

WAGONS
........................ FJ45V + FJ45L..........1961-1967

PICKUPS (P)
Short Beds
... Fixed Top... FJ45P + FJ45LP...........1961-5/64
...Remov Top. FJ45P + FJ45LP...........6/64-1965

Long beds
.................... FJ45P-B + FJ45LP-B......8/64-1/75
..........?.........FJ45P + FJ45LP..............11/67-1/75 ?
.....................FJ45RP............................1/75-6/85
.....................FJ45LP.............................1/75-4/86
.....................BJ45RP+ BJ45LP............3/80-10/84
.....................HJ45P-B + HJ45LP-B.....4/72-1/75
.....................HJ45RP + HJ45LP...........1/75-7/80
.....................HJ47RP............................3/80-6/85
.....................HJ47LP.............................3/80-10/84

TROOPIES (V)
.....................FJ45V + FJ45LV................6/77-7/80
.....................FJ45R...............................8/80-10/82
.....................FJ45L................................8/80-10/84
.....................BJ45RV + BJ45LV.............3/80-10/84
.....................HJ45V + HJ45LV...............4/79-7/80
.....................HJ47RV + HJ47LV.............3/80-6/85

SOFT TOP TROOPIES
.....................FJ45R.................................6/76-10/82
.....................FJ45L..................................6/76-10/84

Wagon and Pickup production numbers until 10/67 were combined and not separated by the factory.
Pickup and Troopy production numbers were combined and not separated by the factory.
FJ45 total combined production.......................412,383
BJ45 total combined production.......................9,488
HJ45 total combined production.......................27,056 on 2/79 (2/79-7/80 is unknown)(HJ45-041511 known in 1980)
HJ47 total combined production.......................39,593

*J45/47 total production all models................488,520 (possibly 503,000 apx)

If you see any dates or the basic model designations that need revision, please comment on the last page of this thread. Thanks !

Last edited:
Scrolled back a month, and finally found it, but don't think this is what you were looking for. It was posted by @Onur so you might see if he has what you are actually looking for...

632BCD4A-8F04-4100-8E56-9FB40C67EB79_1_105_c.jpeg

Thank-you, @frismanis . I have seen that before, but no one has ever indicated that each of those plants actually assembled 40-series Land Cruisers.

I'm hoping that Onur or one of the other knowledgeable folks here can share their expertise on the questions I asked above. I do think the answers would benefit the whole community.

Anyone willing to share their knowledge about this or suggest a good place to research it?

Where are those plant codes on the vehicle? There’s nothing on the early VIN tags except engine S/N and frame #, which starts with YOP.

Thanks @Onur .

I don't know anyone of authority who can share the start and stop dates of the various 45 models: the 45 wagon, the 45 short pickups, the longed, and the different Troopies? If it involves a lot of research, point me in the right direction and I'll investigate it and report back here. For some reason, Toyota lumped all the 45-series frame numbers together, and I think other 45 enthusiasts would also like to get a handle on the numbers of each model that were originally produced if that data is known.

The various 45 registries are nice, but don't give either the year span or the numbers actually produced years ago, being more of "how many are still left" survivor kind of lists.

Appreciate any help or guidance you can offer.

MS

Have you tried contacting Toyota Corporation in any way ? Perhaps they kept good records and with old Cruisers so popular around the world, they may share information.
Still asking for help on these questions.

Thank-you. Unsuccessful thus far with Japan. Hoping one of the several members here who know the data will chime in.

8/85 was end of long-chassis production at Venezuela Cumana assembly plant, sold as 1986 model year. Available in troop carrier and "heavy-duty" (documented in Canada as "1-ton") pickup model (easily identifiable for the locally produced bed that has the stake pockets on the outside instead of the tie-downs). From everything I've gathered the frames came from Japan, but it's hard to tell, they were definitely not sequential to Japanese production.

Thanks, @Exiled. The "VIN" plates from South America, Australia, Brazil, etc. are different from those of the other countries where the Land Cruisers were shipped, and it appears the frame numbers from a few of these countries use a different sequence, as with the later Euro assembly line, and possibly a Japanese domestic assembly sequence. Spanish has been used, French, Japanese, and probably Portuguese if from Brazil. But it is the different numbering sequences that makes counting production numbers difficult.

BTW, there were Japanese frames stamped in 1986 and some were likely sent to some of the non-Japanese assembly plants.

What I'm seeking is definitive info on starting and stopping dates, as well as the corresponding frame numbers, broken-out for EACH of the different 45-series models. This would show the actual numbers PRODUCED for each model. The info currently available is pieced-together from guys reporting the vehicles they own--current owner lists-- rather than what was manufactured and possibly long-ago scrapped.

I would imagine this info is not particularly secret as the models in question are from long ago, and corporate interest in them withered away some time ago. Enthusiasts of other brands seek-out such info on their particular vehicles and Mud would be a good location to share some detailed info about the 45-series production.

By asking this question every so often, eventually one of the folks who have this info will be willing to share it with the other enthusiasts here, rather than see it be lost when they move on to other interests.

It's good to see others respond interested in seeing data for their trucks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom