*J45/47 Body Style, Frame Dates, and Production Numbers(revised). (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

------->The very first entry on the very first page of this thread has all the latest updated information.<-----------
The original postings that followed--whether correct or not--have been left as they were written, but the currently most accurate information is on the first page chart.
We encourage anyone with future corrections, adjustments, or revisions to post their information following this entry as it becomes available. Thank-you.

@flx ,

Thank-you for reminding me of those latest pages you posted. There is still a need to fill out the production chart with more accurate numbers. Posting "VIN" plates certainly is visible evidence of how Toyota labelled their products. I hope some day to see a factory listing of numbers actually produced monthly going back to the very first FJ45, all the way up to the 8/80 - 6/85 chart that is available, along with any other similar data that may have been printed during those years. Separating combined production for several model numbers would be great, as well. Unseen so far is the frame data for frames supplied to non-JDM assembly plants (South Africa apparently received their assembly plant frames pre-numbered directly from Japan and would be already included in the known production data).

So...........it appears that slightly under 1/2 million 45s and 47s were produced worldwide over the course of 26 years, most commonly as FJ45 pickups. Approximately a similar number of the shorter 40/42 series were made also during that period.

Agree flx's addition that HJ45's began late in 1972, though in Australia it was sometime in 1973 as per our parts records - though they are conflicting. The B engine was offered at the same time. In both cases the take up [both literally and in a sales sense] was slow.

Last edited:
A nice ad from OZ of an early Troopy, courtesy of cruisercult.com and @red66toy
Interesting, inter alia, that for the FJ45 both final reduction gear ratios are available: 3.70 and 4.11

Last edited:
At home in the 'ruggedest' conditions. This is definitely written by an Aussie!

I'd be interested to know what year this brochure is from with the SF anf FF rear axle options. AFAIK there wasn't a choice and was dictated by build date, with the changeover on 01/1975 with the one-piece doors, 2F, bottom-sweep wipers etc. SF before obviously and FF after.

Great to see this brochure !

Question about the above brochure. Does the "7712" at the bottom of its last page indicate a publishing date of December 1977, and if so, pictures would be of a Troopy produced in 1976? Also I thought the fold-out legs on the jump seats--at least for the 40 series-- started in late 1978 or early 1979, or was this dependent on the model or the destination country, and not across the entire production line on the same change-over date?

The brochure photos appear to show variations in wiper positions and seat styles--indicating again that Toyota mixed-and-matched photos when revising their brochures. But certain spellings--"colour" vs "color"; "tyre" vs "tire"; "km/hr vs "mph"--and wordings as @cult45 has indicated, point to production aimed at specific destinations.

3B256DA1-8285-4738-96B0-07F6D64C55FF.jpeg

7E700630-B854-4D8B-9DD6-365C6DB48294.jpeg

E56EFDEF-5D83-41F2-8E9C-CEE7405F3920.jpeg

2C47601A-E6AD-4325-9AB0-7BCA0F34408A.jpeg

058AFD49-8A46-41E6-886D-4499753DBACB.jpeg

B151F14E-E5D3-4AC6-BD95-D3C75835EC69.jpeg

31BD80DD-CE5A-47C3-BCB4-F70791EECFFB.jpeg

B70CF900-0DC9-4A40-B082-68E79B7FF205.jpeg

Thank-you, Onur. Stupid me, I had concentrated my efforts on the REAR of the '86 catalog and only had a foggy recollection of the info you've also printed from the FRONT pages. Now I see them. Geez. Thank-you for pointing me in this direction ! I will re-double my efforts to amend the info I have printed so far. Mea culpa.

BTW, are there any available sources for similar information about the earlier 40/45 series models, or production info from the satellite assembly plants?

Thanks for your help !

MS

Bump.
Wish I could help.
I just joined this forum today (First forum joined ever) hoping for help identifying the year of manufacture for two serial numbers. Can you direct me to a thread/discussion that could help, or do you know? I have two serial numbers: FJ4353056 and FJ45406405. I have a vehicle titling service in Virginia and need to start the storage lien process for these two vehicles but want to verify their year of manufacture.

Kathy,

I personally do NOT have a record for your FJ43, but it would be pre-January 1980.

Your FJ45 was built in March of 1984.

HTH

@Bear I admire your tenacity with this research, I just finished reading all 4 forum pages and actually learned a bit….thank you

Attached is a copy of the data plate for my 1985 FJ45 from Venezuela…. I was trying to determine date (month) of manufacture. Hopefully something here can benefit you

IMG_0948.jpeg

@Bear I admire your tenacity with this research, I just finished reading all 4 forum pages and actually learned a bit….thank you

Attached is a copy of the data plate for my 1985 FJ45 from Venezuela…. I was trying to determine date (month) of manufacture. Hopefully something here can benefit you

View attachment 3581559

10/1984.

It's a CKD/incomplete truck. The information could be off a bit.

@OGBeno I find it terrific you have this information. I’m thinking ; what would incomplete mean? Cab and chassis for flatbed installation? How incomplete is incomplete? My conversation with @Bear actually challenged me to dig as deeply as I could and try to find anything remotely close…nothing. My US spec FJ40 was easily discoverable.

I had a fairly close affiliation with H-D motorcycles over my life and back in the early 1970’s the factory would ship some bikes to the dealerships as incomplete. This meant some showed up without pistons in their engines…they had to be installed by the dealership mechanics. Talk about incomplete…
ADDED THIS LITTLE DETAIL:
Turmoil within the Harley company since the AMF/ Brunswick ownership was substantial. The motorcycle company was truly ready to close up and file bankruptcy. They did everything they could push as many motorcycles as possible despite the fact that they were turning out pure crap dealerships were expected to take up the slack and had successfully done so. At the 11th hour,… a group of investors within the board of Harley Davidson and a few others got together and purchased the company from AMF. At that point, the motorcycle company started to improve and back in the later 80s to the early 90s for the first time ever there was a waiting list of almost 2 years to buy a Harley Davidson motorcycle …. it seemed as though everybody had to have one.

So now in the 1970s and early 80s .That led to some jokes. You know how so many bikers back then were very gung ho …Harley-Davidson…’don’t buy a rice burner’ etc.etc. ‘Jap crap’ They were So gung ho that the joke was… ‘ so, if Harley-Davison built airplanes, would YOU fly in it?” 😂

Last edited:
@OGBeno I find it terrific you have this information. I’m thinking ; what would incomplete mean? Cab and chassis for flatbed installation? How incomplete is incomplete? My conversation with @Bear actually challenged me to dig as deeply as I could and try to find anything remotely close…nothing. My US spec FJ40 was easily discoverable.

I had a fairly close affiliation with H-D motorcycles over my life and back in the early 1970’s the factory would ship some bikes to the dealerships as incomplete. This meant some showed up without pistons in their engines…they had to be installed by the dealership mechanics. Talk about incomplete…

That led to some jokes. You know how so many bikers back then were very gung ho …Harley-Davidson…’don’t buy a rice burner’ etc.etc. ‘Jap crap’
They were So gung ho that the joke was… ‘ so, if Harley-Davison built airplanes, would YOU fly in it?” 😂

These were trucks in a box. A bunch of parts assembled in VZA. CKD: complete knockdown kit.

Done for localization of production in countries that require a certain percentage of parts be from local manufacturers.

Frame was manufactured and welded together at Honsha Plant.

Everything else was packaged in a crate.

Hmmm. Thank you for the explanation…. I get it… I did read how governmental regulations mandated these requirements in some countries. I guess I should be grateful that this truck was stripped and reassembled by a quality crew in Columbia? To quote the owner of the company that rebuilt my truck…” we build them screw by screw “

I did also read that the Japanese assembly line managers were very demanding in excellence which I saw back in 1974 on my own FJ40…. , 50 years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom