45 axle to 60 axle swap.. who's done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.showmerents.com
I've researched this using the most important feature here at Mud.. the search feature. I have seen a few threads with a little information in it.... but would like to find someone that could explain this process. I know you have to outboard the spring.. but that doesnt really mean anything other than moving the spring outside?

I am putting 60 axles under my 64 FJ45LV

I assume I keep the old springs from the 64 axles and put them on the 60 axles.

What about the drive shafts? Do I keep the 45's or use the 60's?

Will the 60 series axle / transfer case line up for the mechnical winch?

I know, its a ton of questions... but now there will be a 45-60 axle title to search.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

here is my thread

I swapped diffs from my old axles so that I would still have my 4.11s so flange pattern was a none issue for my application. I ran a square tube front shaft because I did a SR and i'm a cheep/poor bastard, and I only use the front end at low speeds. However I did shim my d/s and now I can go 45 with the hubs locked without vibs. Having 60 axles doesn’t have anything to do with tcase and pto unless you are planning on switching to a split case as well, so yes the pto will still work as you still have the same tcase.

First you decide whether you are to outboard or cut into the pumpkin and go with stock width for your springs, I personally really like my out boarded springs, it balances very well with my rear suspension, however I run xj leafs out back.

You need to address brakes, I swapped to a mini master/booster and re-plumbed the truck to a 2 circuit system. You will need a custom length drag link, measure once you got everything set then get one.

Pretty much those are the only things that are different from any other spring over, or just axle swap.

Are you planning on using the stock spring perches? or are you going SO? Just make sure you set up your caster/pinion angles correct. More specs please ;p

What is SO? Spring over... yes I'm thinking about this because I want to run bigger meats... at least 35" tires. and the rear tires will stick out 2" on each side. I am not going to cut into the axles as of now... The braking system will be all new... but I'm still trying to figure out what tires to run. I wont be able to swap out diffs as my old diffs have claws... and The gearing in the 60 will allow speeds of 70mph once I hook up the 4 spd trannie I am going to mate to a 327 block. I think.

As far as the springs... Can I use the 45LV springs to do a spring over? Or do I need to use the 60's? I dont want to mod the frame too much just in case I want to restore it again in 25 years to original condition.... so I will keep all the old parts

This whole process is a Frame up build

What does Out boarding a spring entail?

thanks

I think you can switch thirds you just have to change out the spiders to the 30 spline, but it is an easy fix to make your old shafts work with the 3.73s, just get a blank flange and punch the right holes in it. I don't think you want to use the 60 rear shaft because it is tapered and driveline shops don't like to work with them if you need it shortened, I have no idea about lengths.

I would use your stock 45 springs, 60 springs are noticeably wider and take some work to fit your frame mounts. I think an extra leaf or 2 in the back may be necessary as your wagon is quite a bit heavier and the added stress of a SO may work them.

Out boarding is simple, there are detailed pics of what I did in the link I provided above. Its basically just a lot of measuring and re-measuring. I out boarded 1.25" per side if I remember correctly. I used stock mounts and modified them, added a bunch of material to them and they have held up to my abuse without a fuss. the frame doesn’t taper till after the rear motor mounts so this makes the measurements for the front and rear hangers the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom