41010 filter on the 2UZ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Hey, just getting my first set of stuff done on my newly acquired 100. Does the standard 41010 oil filter fit? It looks like it may be quite cramped in there.

If this is the big old oil filter for the early f(2,3) and early 1FZ engines, No it will not fit. You need to source a fliter that was designed for the v-8. I would say toytota in most cases, but do not like the fact they went back to a paper element just to be competive with oil change places. That said it still meets factory warranty requirements for the oil change internavals set forth in the owners manual. If you search in the 80 archives on filters you may bring up lots of discussion on filters and what others may of done to get a more advanced filter. My self I got a couple of cases of filters when they discontinued the 20004 filter that was sythentic made in japan. good luck robbie

Just changed the oil a week or so ago in the LX, and I used a WIX. Can't remember which one, exactly, but it was whatever the WIX catalog recommended.

WIX (same as NAPA Gold) are the highest rated filters other than certain OEM Toyota ones, which really aren't even available anymore.

Anyway, they look pretty damn small compared to the ones in my FZE.

NAPA Filters Oil Filter (Gold) FIL 1348 $ 5.79

Scott

To kick a very redundant topic. Okay, the 20004 and 41010's are the same thread and ring diameter, too bad Toyota changed mfg's to the YZZD3s. Robbie, you're right Toyota's `official' statement is that it meets their warranty req's which in it statistically will get you to the end of the warranty I'm guessing.

M1 filter # is M102

I'll check out the Wix :)

Last edited:
I beleive in some ways it will get you through there design period for the engine. So If said engine is designed to go 300k miles, then if you do the oil changes and filter when it states and use a good oil, the engine should last the design period. These filters are used on many models of engines and in far worse conditions in other parts of the world. The engines in these parts of the world hold up well under those conditions using these filters. So if I had a choice between toyota thai filter and a fram, I would chose the toyota filter.
AS for the size, I think the overall diameter of the big filter will not clear the oil catchement that the engineers put on the 2UZ engine. good luck on your choice. later robbie

The -20004's are still available in Japan for 2000 yen each. Both the YZZD3/20004 will fit a lot of Toyota engines. I'm using the YZZD3's on a 22re. It's the same thread/diameter as the el cheapo OEM filter used on US Toyota passenger cars like the Camry/Corolla, so you just need clearance for the extra filter length.

Yep, just went with an M1-102 filter. I've never driven a vehicle above 300k, but I am a true believer in good oils/filters, even my commuter Ford (running M1) has a couple 100k without a touch of problems.

I'll send the oil in for analysis on this new-to-me 100 and we'll see where any issues lie. I'm generally not that anal as you know, but it will give me a good place to start. Let's start with the fact that I had to use a breaker bar to get the oil pan plug out and smash holes in the Fram filter on there to turn it off :O

It actually wasn't the drain lip that caused the issue, but a portion of the frame down there that angled the 41010 and the M1-1301 just enough to not catch the filter threads.

3fj40 said:
Yep, just went with an M1-102 filter. I've never driven a vehicle above 300k, but I am a true believer in good oils/filters, even my commuter Ford (running M1) has a couple 100k without a touch of problems.

I'll send the oil in for analysis on this new-to-me 100 and we'll see where any issues lie. I'm generally not that anal as you know, but it will give me a good place to start. Let's start with the fact that I had to use a breaker bar to get the oil pan plug out and smash holes in the Fram filter on there to turn it off :O

Search for some UOA's that have been posted on here or at bobistheoilguy.com if you need some comparisons. I run the M1 filter and M1 5w-30 with great results. My UOA is in this forum somewhere if you need it.

3fj40 said:
To kick a very redundant topic. Okay, the 20004 and 41010's are the same thread and ring diameter, too bad Toyota changed mfg's to the YZZD3s. Robbie, you're right Toyota's `official' statement is that it meets their warranty req's which in it statistically will get you to the end of the warranty I'm guessing.

M1 filter # is M102

I'll check out the Wix :)

The M102 is small. The M209 is larger, has the same specs, costs the same, and fits:) I've been running the M209 on my LC and my buddy has run the M209 on his Tundra for 150,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom