40th w/out 2-Tone Seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seats have definately been dyed and are not factory. Notice that they do not match the leather on the doors.

They do however match the dark brown accents. Looks like they dyed the centers to match the outers.

ya know...

some "40th anniv" models are not really 40th anniversary models.

either because people thought it was cool...or stealerships wanted to add some bling...or someone was being extra sneaky at some point...there have been quite a few cases where the "40th anniv" badging was added after the fact.

I don't know if those seats have been dyed or not. ALL 40th Anniversary model LCs came with 2-tone leather seats.

Who knows...that could really be a 40th anniv model with both front seats and the 2nd row seats replaced...dunno.

Doug if you looks closely you'll notice that the seats are the dark brown which was only available on the 40th Anniversary. So either they dyed the entire non 40th Anniversary seats to 40th Anniversary 2nd tone color, or they just dyed the center of the 40th anniversary seats to make them single tone.

Either way those seats are not the stock oak or 40th Anniversary 2 tones. They've been dyed.

I also just noticed that the vinyl on the back is the right color to be a 40th Anniversary seat. The best explanation is that the centers were dyed to match the rest of the seat.

Id say it is a 40th as it has the auto climite control and In pretty sure it was only in the 40ths and the collectors in 97

The wood trim is not Burlwood either! Exterior and accesories are definately 40th Anni's. Wonder if it was a theft recovery and the seats were recovered or replaced and the dash wood kit was also replaced to hide damage?

Uncle Ben said:
The wood trim is not Burlwood either! Exterior and accesories are definately 40th Anni's. Wonder if it was a theft recovery and the seats were recovered or replaced and the dash wood kit was also replaced to hide damage?

could be a flood recovery.

Last edited:
Darwood said:
Doug if you looks closely you'll notice that the seats are the dark brown which was only available on the 40th Anniversary. So either they dyed the entire non 40th Anniversary seats to 40th Anniversary 2nd tone color, or they just dyed the center of the 40th anniversary seats to make them single tone.

Either way those seats are not the stock oak or 40th Anniversary 2 tones. They've been dyed.

Sorry Buckaroo...
take another look at the seats.

here's what the 40th seats look like from behind (from dmc's ROTW):
attachment.php

I wish I had a better pic to show of a true 40th anniv edition, but I didn't feel like searching everywhere for a pic.

compare that with this from the "40th" in question; note the lack of dark brown on the sides -- these seats are not dark brown -- they are not 40th seats:
zzz_throw_me_away.JPG

okay...what am I missing. Where's the dark tone in the leather?

I see standard oak (tan) leather...nothing looks dark to me.

*tap*, *tap*, *tap*...maybe my monitor is going out... :confused:

NorCalDoug said:
Sorry Buckaroo...
take another look at the seats.

Doh you're right. The vinyl is the lighter tan. So it looks like the whole seats were dyed somehow to the darker tone.

Doug I would say you need a new monitor. Compare the seat beat color to the in the two pics you posted. Notice how the seat belts match the seats in the different 40th Anniversary but are darker than the back of the seat in the pic you posted of the 2 tone seats.

Also look at hoe the seats are actually darker than the carpet. That's not normal.

The seats could've been recovered or pulled from a different vehicle -- LX 450 perhaps? I thought the colors were always the same, but ya never know...

So conclusion is the leather in this vehicle is not stock or has been altered. Good point to check the vin and make sure it's a 40th before you assume it is. Thanks for the feedback.

Russell

There are also some funny black plastic things in the center of the picture above where the seats split. Looks like a re-cover to me.

snowcruiser said:
There are also some funny black plastic things in the center of the picture above where the seats split. Looks like a re-cover to me.

I thought that at first. Those black funny plastic things are stock on the 3rd row seats. The rubber is for when the seats are up against the windows.

Looking at the wear on the drivers side bolster, I'm pretty confident that those are the original skins, just darkened.

When I stopped by to look at it, it was obvious that the seats were dyed. They didn't do a good job. The salesmen even admitted that it was dyed. I also noticed that both front doors wouldn't line-up right. Seems like someone was trying to pry it open. They didn't change the rubber seal on the windshield when they install the new glass. I won't pay more than 8k for this rig. IMO

FJ809496TLC said:
They didn't change the rubber seal on the windshield when they install the new glass.

After doing this job, I don't know how you don't change the gasket on the windshield for a new install. The thing is glued in from the factory. Reusing the old gasket means somehow removing the old urethane from the rubber. I guess you might be able to do it, but it would be alot of work.

The only other thing I can think of is that it wasn't glued in from a previous install. In which case that windshield would be leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom