Builds Bunny: 40th Anniversary FZJ80 / 6BT / NV4500 build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you say incorrect pod solution is that because there is a better year option to use or because it didn't fit as well as expected?

When you say incorrect pod solution is that because there is a better year option to use or because it didn't fit as well as expected?

Nah, the part number I was looking for is discontinued. So, I bought two Auto Meter 20100 parts, got fitment right using the first one as a template, then installed the second one in a cleaner way. Still a cobbled-together solution, but this isn't a concours truck - it just needs to work!

Went and tuned the truck up, gave it some time in the truck spa in preparation for a 6 week Baja trip. It's turning out to be the perfect vehicle for the dirt roads and off-road trails down here - perfectly capable off-road (duh) but critically, narrow and short wheelbase enough to get into the spots that the hordes of 5th wheels and RVs cannot.

Three big additions for this trip:
  1. Alu-Cab Shadow Awning = game-changer. $20 Amazon LED light strip for nighttime was an awesome addition.
  2. Overland Solar Bugout 120 with charge controller = game-changer x2. Doubles as a killer window shade, too. Forver cold beer and full charged batteries really put the mind at ease.
  3. ARB air compressor + pump-up kit = game-changer x3. No idea why I didn't do this one sooner. Special bonus: blowing all the dust off the truck after a long trail - way, way cleaner in camp.
I also added Maxtraxx x4, replaced all four OME Nitrocharger Sports and the steering stabilizer, and am using/loving the ARB cargo organizers in the drawers. It's a tight fit with all our gear, but we're steadily dialing it in to keep things accessible and easy to reach for this much time on the road. Oddly, while there's plenty of sweet rigs down here (Belgian Unimogs, beefy Ford 4x4 vans, some sweet Sprinters), we've only seen two other Land Cruisers - both kitted out 100s.

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

One day recently after I plowed through a cloud of bugs with very neon green innards, I learned my windshield wiper fluid reservoir had actually melted from turbo heat. I'm 70k miles into this swap and finally through towing had enough sustained heat to fry the plastic. Solution: turbo blanket from Wits End and a replacement fluid reservoir. Looks fancy, keeps the turbo cool to the touch. If any of the purported power gain happens, it'll be a pleasant surprise, but it's good to know the truck will run cooler, and my windshield will be fluidized next time I drive through a hopper hatch.
IMG_4349.jpg

I am prepairing to vent my hood to deal partly with the heat from the turbo. Have you done anything different with your AC line? Mine runs right under the turbo and my AC no linger blows cold ( could be a different issue). I am planning to have a custom AC line made to reroute it and then cover it with Lava tub.

I just finished venting the hood on my Turbo 1FZ....plan to do the same mod to my Cummins soon. Going to be pulling the motor for a rebuild and have some body/paint work done while the motor is out.
8759A23D-CB5F-4213-A6E6-68EEC3012F59.jpeg
94460575-18BE-40C3-B575-BDB99880FBF7.jpeg
288AE75C-9CE6-44E8-8919-C3F88FA88E1A.jpeg
FC36F2D2-88C7-4D6E-9DD4-4962B94878F8.jpeg

Last edited:
@Tank5 - no current plans to do anything with the AC line, it's been working really well for all these miles so I'm not keen to mess with something that still works! I keep considering doing some diesel performance mods - this truck is still tuned to stock, circa-1995 so there's plenty of room for upgrades, but I just don't know if I want to go down the path of endless performance crap. The truck does everything I need it to, and it's reliable now... risking breaking one thing after another in pursuit of more power seems like a bad move, especially in the peak of summer when I'm wanting to be out exploring at every opportunity.

@Dirty Koala - thanks for the ideas about the hood vents, your truck looks great! What did you do about the hood liner, trim it to fit underside of the vent?

@Dirty Koala - thanks for the ideas about the hood vents, your truck looks great! What did you do about the hood liner, trim it to fit underside of the vent?

I haven’t put the liner back in yet. But I do plan to cut it and seal up the cut edges.

It's been a while since I posted an update about what's happening with my truck. After getting back from 5 weeks in Baja last February-March, during which time the truck was 100% flawless, we proceeded to move to Montana and put another 6,000 miles on it just exploring around the state. Come winter, it was time for some maintenance and "preventative upgrades". Luckily I was introduced to the guys at Overland Cruisers in Belgrade so it was able to get professional attention - I'm just not skilled or experienced enough to tackle this type of stuff myself.

I didn't document everything with photos but:
  • upgraded to RCV 30-spline front axles, replaced broken knuckle stud and spindles.
    • I figured the stock ones lived honorably for 280,xxx miles and I'd rather not suffer a failure
  • replaced front brake rotors, added 100 series pads, added Slee extended stainless brake lines for a 4" lift

• rebuilt the turbo. the old compressor wheel looks like it inhaled a stone so it was time for that new new.
    • Replaced compressor housing, compressor wheel with HX35, turbine housing with 16cm unit (down from 18.5cm previously)
    • did a good tune to minimize smoke, and the end result is that it reaches and will hold 20psi and pull hard up a Montana mountain pass / grade. special bonus is that the EGTs now live happily in the 900s, and only if I bury the throttle in 5th gear up a grade will it touch 1200F.
  • stripped out the interior and laid down Dynamat from the rear seats forward. Ordered a replacement carpet kit from StockInteriors, and will tackle Dynamatting the doors and rear quarter panels shortly. I love the sound of the diesel and the turbo but it could definitely be more livable and it's been a good indoor winter project.
I have some more parts on the shelf and plans: more aggro fuel plate, tailgate storage, underhood LEDs, paint the wheel flares and replace gaskets, and some hood refresh stuff. I'm hoping to get all this buttoned up soon.
IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_7077.JPG

Oh yeah, and the next day after I got the truck back, we stretched our legs to a spot further south and I got some solo fishing in. So in the absence of any new truck photos, here's an obligatory brown trout shot from the day in question.

IMG_7126.jpg

Last edited:
Knocked off another winter project last night by installing the Huracan Fabrication locking tailgate storage lid. I was skeptical that it would be as sturdy as the OEM tailgate but when I was done buttoning it up I sat my ass on it and slowly drank a beer, and sure enough, it's solid. It's totally surprising how much usable space there is the void of the tailgate - it swallowed up two small first aid kits, a tool roll, utensil roll, a platypus water filter, tow strap, two tarps, two camp towels, a roll of toilet paper and some loose bottles of bug spray and sunscreen... all of which had been stuffing and/or rattling around my drawers previously. My OCD is pleasantly soothed.

Last week I got the whole floor pan and transmission tunnel of the truck Dynamatted, and then did both Dynamat and Dynaliner inside all four doors. My new Stockinteriors carpet set showed up too, but the difference in sound levels is already noticeable - so much less static and white noise coming from everywhere. Nothing's ever going to quiet down the motor or the turbo whistle, but it's so much more livable now.

IMG_7523.jpg
IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

Last edited:
The tailgate storage is key isnt it. I have the same huracan hatch on my LX, and have an older Wagongear hatch in the garage that will go onto the cummins 80 eventually.

Knocked off another winter project last night by installing the Huracan Fabrication locking tailgate storage lid. I was skeptical that it would be as sturdy as the OEM tailgate but when I was done buttoning it up I sat my ass on it and slowly drank a beer, and sure enough, it's solid. It's totally surprising how much usable space there is the void of the tailgate - it swallowed up two small first aid kits, a platypus water filter, tow strap, two tarps, two camp towels, a roll of toilet paper and some loose bottles of bug spray and sunscreen... all of which had been stuffing and/or rattling around my drawers previously. My OCD is pleasantly soothed.

Last week I got the whole floor pan and transmission tunnel of the truck Dynamatted, and then did both Dynamat and Dynaliner inside all four doors. My new Stockinteriors carpet set showed up too, but the difference in sound levels is already noticeable - so much less static and white noise coming from everywhere. Nothing's ever going to quiet down the motor or the turbo whistle, but it's so much more livable now.

View attachment 2626713View attachment 2626714

View attachment 2626716
Ha! I installed the same thing last night also! Not something I wanted or ever planned to buy, but happened upon their sale plus free shipping the other day.

0015ED18-1171-44B3-BF9C-E049DA6DF1DB.jpeg

What kind of booze you making back there??
Keen eye! All different types. My friends own Headframe Spirits and Headframe Stills So I was in their giant still fabrication shop to have the tailgate cut out. If you haven't checked out their Neversweat Bourbon or Kelley Single Malt, I most highly recommend doing so.

Last edited:
I got around to cleaning up my underhood environment. I replaced the hood pad - the old one was nasty with oil and partly burnt from a towing experience - upgraded the washer nozzles to fancy three-hole ones from @NLXTACY, added @yodaTEQ underhood LED and replaced some of the rubber pads from Wits End's underhood refresh kit. Despite the patinating paint, ample dings and scratches and awfully cracked windshield, it makes me happy to have things buttoned up and proper where they count. And now since it's late July, I finally got around to finishing off my last winter's projects!

IMG_9213.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom