Wanted 40th Anniversary Black Pearl Emblems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 40th anniversary but the previous owner decided to swap out the black pearl emblems with gold ones. Looking for a set of black pearl emblems to restore it to its original condition. Thanks!

Looks nice! I should have specified but I am looking for the front and rear sombreros, "4WD", and tailgate badge.

If your search doesn't produce the parts, There is someone reproducing the rear nomenclature that looks pretty good and there have been some Sombreros changed to black chrome, I think they are spraying a tinted window film on them.

If your search doesn't produce the parts, There is someone reproducing the rear nomenclature that looks pretty good and there have been some Sombreros changed to black chrome, I think they are spraying a tinted window film on them.
That’s really interesting. Is there a thread on the tinted window film process?

I think there was a thread years ago when I did it (used Testors model car window tint spray) and there is likely a more updated thread or mention since then.

I am going to tag @RKTINC. I am pretty sure I saw where he had mentioned the process recently and is one of the members that has restored a 40th Anniversary edition. He is VERY knowledgeable and helpful and may have some updated information.

Good luck, enjoy, they are great trucks!!!!

I think there was a thread years ago when I did it (used Testors model car window tint spray) and there is likely a more updated thread or mention since then.

I am going to tag @RKTINC. I am pretty sure I saw where he had mentioned the process recently and is one of the members that has restored a 40th Anniversary edition. He is VERY knowledgeable and helpful and may have some updated information.

Good luck, enjoy, they are great trucks!!!!
Yes, The black chrome logos are no longer available. I was shocked to find my new OEM grill assembly came with a chrome emblem attached. I ordered a single chrome emblem so having a chipped up original and two new ones to experiment with I fabricated mine.

Duplicolor makes a Black Chrome Wheel paint. It is a transparent black and a clear coat. I cleaned up the new logo with alcohol and sprayed two light coats of the black on it. I finished it with the clear. I suspect it is not terribly durable but my rig doesn't see any rocks or dirt. The occasional bug doesn't seem to be an issue. To me it seems to have a slight blueish tone in certain light but not enough anyone would ever notice. Go very light on the coat. I think more than three light coats and it would just be black. the trans coat is also pretty speckled. Could have been a bad can or nozel on mine but it was not an easy spray. I have been painting with spray cans since I was 8 years old so all that practice point off. I fogged it on and made quick passes. I think it looks fantastic. Not sure how it would work on the 4WD plastic for the back. The "LAND CRUISER" gate strip is brite chrome on mine, but I thought a person could use a vinyl / tint wrap to darken that item if desired.

717B79FA-D15C-42DC-B0F2-69E6FC233E43_1_201_a.jpeg

Yes, The black chrome logos are no longer available. I was shocked to find my new OEM grill assembly came with a chrome emblem attached. I ordered a single chrome emblem so having a chipped up original and two new ones to experiment with I fabricated mine.

Duplicolor makes a Black Chrome Wheel paint. It is a transparent black and a clear coat. I cleaned up the new logo with alcohol and sprayed two light coats of the black on it. I finished it with the clear. I suspect it is not terribly durable but my rig doesn't see any rocks or dirt. The occasional bug doesn't seem to be an issue. To me it seems to have a slight blueish tone in certain light but not enough anyone would ever notice. Go very light on the coat. I think more than three light coats and it would just be black. the trans coat is also pretty speckled. Could have been a bad can or nozel on mine but it was not an easy spray. I have been painting with spray cans since I was 8 years old so all that practice point off. I fogged it on and made quick passes. I think it looks fantastic. Not sure how it would work on the 4WD plastic for the back. The "LAND CRUISER" gate strip is brite chrome on mine, but I thought a person could use a vinyl / tint wrap to darken that item if desired.

View attachment 2911691
That looks amazing! I did some searching and some folks also use Nightshades window tint spray paint. I'll play around with it and hope it turns out well.

That looks amazing! I did some searching and some folks also use Nightshades window tint spray paint. I'll play around with it and hope it turns out well.
The duplicolor comes in a kit. It was a little pricey but I figured it was designed for wheels so it was a better finish long term. Good thing about it is the chrome OEM emblems are pretty tough so if you don't like the look of the finish, you can use a little alcohol or thinner and take it back to chrome.

Good luck. Show us your truck as you make progress.

My black chrome experiment post from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom