40 won't start...frustrated... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ebbworld.com
Well I recently bought my first FJ40, a '74, about a month ago. It needed some work done so I took it to Iron Pig Offroad in Fredricksburg, VA (i live in Northern Virginia). They did a few things...reconditioned hardtop, rebuilt front axle knuckles, and did their main "general inspection". Aside from a few things, they gave it a good bill of health.
I got it back Monday and drove home 50 miles no problem. Took it to work Tuesday, no problem. They only thing that was weird was I stalled out at a light once. But it started back fine. Well Wed. same thing happened, started back up fine again...though not a 1000 feet later with the pedal to the floor, the car died out as I got to the top of a hill. I tried to restart, but after a few attempts that seemed to get weaker and weaker, turning the key finally resorted to just a "click/thud" and nothing.

...I've since put in a new battery, checked connections, confirmed starter works, and tried to push start it unsuccessfully. It seems the flywheel just does not want to turn. I took the flywheel cover off and looked under there as someone tried to start and it just moves back and forth a milimeter...and that's where the "click/thud" is coming from.

Any ideas guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated considering I'm new to these cars. I'm just frustrated I guess....:frown:
Thanks. -Keith

Did you notice any smoke before it stopped?

Well I am no pro but this is what I would do. it would not seem to me to be the starter but I would pull the plugs out so that you are not fighting the compression of the motor to see of the starter was strong enough to crank it over that way. it still would not explain why it stalled out on you in the first place.

to me it sounds like a spark or maybe fuel problem that caused it to stall out in the first place, and then maybe you toasted the starter trying to start it on the side of the road?

I am sure that there are others here that are much more qualified to answer your questions but I thought I would give you some fuel for thought.

I have had coils go out slowly on me, they can really do some wacky crap. I have toasted a starter before too. not fun...but simple to swap out.

personaly I think you have two problems acting against you..either that or maybe some wiring problem. I had to replace the pos wire coming off the battery once but it was a really long time ago and I forget what the symptoms were..

hope this helps and you get back on the road soon. I can't wait till I get to drive my cruiser to work daily, but once I do start I am certain I will be here asking similar questions myself.

voltron88x said:
Any ideas guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated considering I'm new to these cars. I'm just frustrated I guess....

Have you pulled the dip stick to see if you have any oil in the pan?

Where's the fuel level in the sight glass?

I like cruiserFISTs idea....b/c I have been experiencing the same "click/thud" when I try to start my truck. The good news is...I've found a way to start it.

My problem seems to lie in the ignition switch. So, I just hotwire the starter wire. For some reason, my ignition switch makes "too hard" of a contact with the starter...almost seeming to overpower it sometimes. (shorting out or something) So, when I pull the wire and feather it against the battery wire..it starts just fine. You may want to try this...then you know you just have a faulty switch. Just make sure that your key is turned to the "on" position first.

I don't know if this switch would cause you to stall....so you may have a fuel problem or an ignition problem too. However, this switch is a good place to start...

Check it out and let me know. I'm in Fairfax Virginia and would be willing to lend my support if you need it.

Herb

I think what IDave and Poser are suggesting is that the motor has seized from lack of lubrication or otherwise. Check and make sure you have oil in it. Pull all the plugs. Then remove the cover from the bottom of the bell housing. Using a prybar or screwdriver turn the motor by hand. If you can't turn it by hand with the plugs out then you have bigger problems than a starter.

Hope I'm wrong...good luck with it.

Nick

Need more information......

hmm died going up hill? I am thinking the same as others... oil starvation. I hope we are wrong, but a bad starter wouldn't cause the car to die. Check oil and let us know so we don't have to worry:)

loose fuse for ignition, or corroded seat of the fuse ? wiring problem (the connector on the ignition switch loose)?

DSRTRDR said:
loose fuse for ignition, or corroded seat of the fuse ? wiring problem (the connector on the ignition switch loose)?

I'd put a big vote in for this one... bad connection at the fuse is common, and will do exactly what your problem sounds like. Your starter is engaging, but as soon as it starts to draw a lot of power (trying to turn the motor over) the bad connection's high resistance is dropping the voltage down to 0Volts. My starter did the same thing this week, but the bad connection was at the starter. took it off and cleaned it and it worked fine. If your whole ignition system is dying, it could be the same problem, but a bad connection at the fuse, is causing a voltage drop to your whole system, perhaps not supplying enough power to your coil.

Even clean "looking" fuse contacts can be dirty. Also pull the fuse out and make sure the end cap is still attached, I had a blown fuse that looked fine, but was actually blown right at the end.

HTH

Hey guys, thanks for all your thoughtful insight. I've been away all weekend and am eager to try some of the troubleshooting methods you suggested when I get a chance. I will update the progress. Thanks again! -keith

just tow er to top of big hill and about half way down let the clutch out while in 3 rd. 2wd. ,and key on ,throttle floored. if she do not start she be dead.

Update:

Checked the oil...plenty of it. Pulled the plugs and tried to turn the flywheel...nothin doin.
I'm going to call the place I just got it back from (and $1700 "good bill of health" later) and see what they have to say. Other than that, I'm highly distraught and confused :frown:

Also, does anyone know of a place I could take it to in Northern Virginia? I'm in Vienna. It's not feasible for me to take it back to Fredricksburg.

Last edited:
voltron88x said:
Update:

Checked the oil...plenty of it. Pulled the plugs and tried to turn the flywheel...nothin doin.
I'm going to call the place I just got it back from (and $1700 "good bill of health" later) and see what they have to say. Other than that, I'm highly distraught and confused :frown:
First was it in neutal when you tried to turn it by hand?

Second did you check electrical connections?

Third give Lance a call he is a great guy and will most likly give you some great advice.

voltron88x said:
Some pictures of it. I'm so frustrated right now i'm thinking of selling it if anyone is interested.
Dont get so frustrated so quickly. You have to realize that these old vehicles almost have a mind of thier own. You need to become one with the truck and understand what her issues are before you try and ship her off to the pound.

usmcruiser said:
First was it in neutal when you tried to turn it by hand?

Second did you check electrical connections?

Third give Lance a call he is a great guy and will most likly give you some great advice.

Dont get so frustrated so quickly. You have to realize that these old vehicles almost have a mind of thier own. You need to become one with the truck and understand what her issues are before you try and ship her off to the pound.

Well I've owned a '72 BMW for about 4 years so I don't want to sound like I'm an old car owner "quitter". I've certaintly put lots of blood, sweat, tears, and $$$ into that thing to keep her going. But I'm just not sure if I want to deal with old car unreliablity anymore, as much as I love them. I'm just frustrated at the moment, that's all.

Yeah I talked to Lance already. Yes, I've been through the electrical connnections but it won't explain why it won't start even trying to push start it. Yeah I've tried to move that thing in neutral and every gear. Won't budge.

Lance suggested I drain the oil...just to see if metal parts start draining out also. And then to take off the oil pan to see if I can see anything bad. Other than that, it's really looking like my engine is in heaven at the moment. :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom