40 with soft top and oem doors... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im trying to decide what to do with my 40, and I am now thinking about ditching the hardtop and amb doors in favor of a soft top, but keeping the oem doors. That way I get the benefit of a soft top (can roll it up in nice weather) but keep the convenience of steel doors (I never liked soft top windows). Does anyone have any pics of this set-up?

Also, any recomendations for soft tops?

oem soft tops are now very popular. Ehsan in Pakistan has them new plus freight. Many of the OEM US bow sets have over door parts that fit soft doors (OE) and E-1975 doors only. The Pakistani door parts (of which I have an extra set) fit 1976-1984 late doors as well.

....and if you want to beat out an upcoming auction, I have an OEM bow set + light OD canvas top for sale. The canvas is new (made in Wyoming). A warning, the bows are complete (uncut) and although light- they must be truck freighted or picked up in Southern Arizona (Tucson, will deliver to Phx). PM me for cost.

Here's my junk on last year's "snow run".

cruiser2.jpg

And the obligate driveway shot for comparison with the steel doors.

Cruiser1.jpg

Poser - Thanks for the pics, that is what I wanted to see.

rick_d - Ill check out the Pakistani tops. Im not ready to buy right now, just looking around and considering my options.

Nice cruiser Pin, I think I will go with the soft top and steel doors.

Is it worth trying to sell my hardtop? Good condition, no headliner, off of a May 1976 '40.

Does anyone know of a site where the dimensions of the bows can be found?
I'm searching for an original soft top, but here in Belgium they are hard (read impossible) to find. So I'd like to make my own. The bows should be no problem, the only thing I'm worried about are the 2 pieces that come behind te doors (where they slam on to).
Ordering one (like Bestop) is quit expensive (transport and taxes)

since we are on the subject of soft tops. i've been looking into getting one come this summer but i don't know what kind to get. i was going to go for the bestop supertop. but in the latest toyota trails there's that review of that new fastrac zippertop. now i'm not sure which one is the better soft top. so can you guys tell me which brand you guys prefer, bestop or fastrac?

I have run, seen, experienced and owned just about every soft top out there. They all suck except the OEM top. Eshan is making a good replica of the top which I now have. So far I am happy with it. I have seen the Eshan bows but cannot give a rec. They look good but I have not used them.

Figure $750 for a Bestop or $1K for a Eshan top. Best bet is to get the Eshan top.

dd113 - Can you be a bit more specific with your remarks? What are the cons associated with the softtops you experienced? Thanks, I'm in the same boat as the original question man...want to keep my hard doors but put on a softtop my 79 FJ40.

Cheers,

Dave

fj40nov02.JPG

i'm actually going the other the way, getting rid of the softtop and returning to a hardtop.
this is a 8yr old kayline, and it's REALLY starting to show it's age. while i do like the softtop, 700-1000 bucks to replace it is not worth it to me.

[quote author=brian link=board=1;threadid=12183;start=msg112563#msg112563 date=1078061933]
fj40nov02.JPG

i'm actually going the other the way, getting rid of the softtop and returning to a hardtop.
this is a 8yr old kayline, and it's REALLY starting to show it's age. while i do like the softtop, 700-1000 bucks to replace it is not worth it to me.
[/quote]

Hey Brian, do those sides roll completely up?

they look like they "should" and there's even snaps&straps on the sides, but i've never figured out how to do it neatly.
what i did figure out, is i can take it off and run a bikini all summer.

Isn't liquid offroad selling the OEM Pakistan tops for $735(vendor section). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom