40 will not warm up.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.w2m.com
Greetings,
My 77 FJ40 will not warm up....barely moves off of the lower end.

Could the timming affect this ??

no machanical skills...rick

Don't trust the Toyota guage. Get an HVAC thermometer and put it between the fins of the radiator for an accurate reading.

Do you know if you have a thermostat in your t-stat housing?

You can try cutting a piece of cardboard and covering half of your radiator to see if the loss of airflow will make the guage read, but I wouldn't recommend that experiment until after you try Step 1 above.

Hth

Mark

does the heater blow hot? or is it luke warm?

My 40 is on the cold end of lower bar with the frigid weather right now.

wesintl said:
does the heater blow hot? or is it luke warm?

My 40 is on the cold end of lower bar with the frigid weather right now.
dang wes, dont' you drive that thing any distance? my 40 will burn me out...especially if i leave the engine fan off.

if the fan's on, i do have to turn it off every so often to keep warm air flowing...really need to get an engine temp sensor to hook the fan to.

I have an 82 degree t-stat in my BJ42 and I am now running the rad curtain about 1/2 down to get it to warm up--was not the case with the 88 degree tstat formerly in there.---even if you have a t-stat in there, an 82 degree one might not let it warm up enough in winter.

Razor said:
Greetings,
My 77 FJ40 will not warm up....barely moves off of the lower end.

1. You may not have a thermostat.
2. You may not have an upper gasket on your thermostat. Perhaps not installed, but they can also blow out (been there).
3. Your thermostat may have failed (been there also). I had a nearly new OEM thermostat break in two, so that it was doing nothing.

All easy to check and fix.

nuclearlemon said:
dang wes, dont' you drive that thing any distance? my 40 will burn me out...especially if i leave the engine fan off.

if the fan's on, i do have to turn it off every so often to keep warm air flowing...really need to get an engine temp sensor to hook the fan to.

No I dont drive it very far, but far enough that it warms up.. The heater does get hot but the the guage doesn't read like it does when it's 90+ either.:)

the heater blown luke warm...takes allot of wheelling to warm the thing up...

I messed with the timming a while back and seemed to have an issue ever since....hmmmm !!

I will try some of the recommendation above...thx.

wesintl said:
Oh.. hey ige it's on the second post not the C

C \ / H
...^me
sounds like you need to pull the heater core and get the crap off of it so air can circulate the warmth flowing through.

nuclearlemon said:
sounds like you need to pull the heater core and get the crap off of it so air can circulate the warmth flowing through.

Heater is hot... It'll actually heat me out of the truck on high...Which is pretty good for a 64 if you ask me.. I tend to think it's the guage but it's on my list to check out . I was replacing dryrotted bushings this weekend. Now that's a s h i t job :mad:

if the engine's idling, running properly, it's absolutely coming up to heat. can't help but. so it's the gauge, the sending unit, or the wires in between.

unless aliens abducted your thermostat.

JP_FJ40 said:
if the engine's idling, running properly, it's absolutely coming up to heat. can't help but. so it's the gauge, the sending unit, or the wires in between.

unless aliens abducted your thermostat.

or the thremostat failed in the open postion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom