1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40 VS. 80 - What to keep

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cruiserhead05, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

There is a very very outside chance that i may have to make a decision in the future between keeping my 80 or the 40.

I just wanted some opinions on what you guys think would be the smarter move.

All the info on the 80 is in my ROTW but very quickly it has an ome lift, arb front, custom rear, sliders, dual batts, factory lockers, snorkel, full stereo, and the kinda bad...271k miles.

The 40 i got a few months ago has a good body, rebuilt motor, SOA, power steering, winch, wilderness rack, stereo.

I also have a little honda for my DD so that is not an issue. Off the bat i think the 40 is worth more and becoming harder to come by while there are still a decent amount of 80's out there.

Anyways, i hope to be able to keep both but just wanted some feedback.

Thanks.

2. Relix

Relix

I'd keep the 40, in the future I bet coming across an 80 will be easier then finding a decent 40

3. apcoleman

apcoleman

keep the 80 and sell me your 40:flipoff2: im serious

4. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    its a 40 thing keep her.or sell her to me:flipoff2:

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I sold the 40, kept the 80.

and the 55:D

The 40 didn't do anything as well as my other vehicles. The 80 actually does most things better.

6. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

I can't believe you said that! i use to think you were cooooll mann..

7. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Very true, and more livable day to day as well. Any wagon is very high on the utility factor. An FJ40 is not good for much except wheeling. If I could only keep one, it would be a difficult call, but the 80 would get the nod over the other trucks.

8. -Spike-

-Spike-

The 80. Yes, I've owned a 40.

-Spike

9. Gumby

It's true. I'm not at all cool.

The 80 is a better dd and I can put the family in it. It's also a better wheeler. It's more reliable and gets better mileage. Daily upkeep is a fraction of the ownership cost of a 40 that qualifies in the state of IL as being an antique vehicle.

The 55 is more fun on the trail, is more unique and nobody ever says "nice jeep" the body on my 40 was nice enough that I could never wheel it with the reckless abandon with which I wheel the War Pig.

The Valkyrie is more fun just bombing around and carries just as many people and almost as much stuff. It also gets slightly better fuel mileage(4 or 5X) It has more HP yet weighs as much as the engine in the 40.

The 60 I kept because I couldn't give my 16 year old son a 32 year old, no-power-steering manual and hope he wouldn't wreck it. He crashed my 80 after 3 days with his license, rolled the 55 and just crashed his new car after 3 days of owning it. The 40 is happier not being driven by Adam the Cruiser Killer.

10. squeezer

squeezer

Depends alot on your intended use(s)

If you want a pure non daily driver toy Keep the 40. If you are going to camp/wheel/travel any distance with any # of people keep the 80.

The 80 will do damm near everything the 40 will do but it won't do it topless and it won't be going up in value (any time soon) like the 40.

11. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

http://www.bondurant.com/about/bobbondurant.php

Make him pay for it before he can drive again..........

Advanced Teenage Driving
    1 day - $1,175 | 2 days - $2,195 | 3 days - $3,095

We teach teens the skills they really need to know — active driving skills that could someday save their lives. Students are required to have a valid drivers license and a minimum of six months driving experience. Parents must accompany minors upon check-in.

Features: Skid control, accident avoidance, shifting exercises, cornering and braking techniques
    Vehicles: Mustang GT, Cadillac CTS or Pontiac Grand Prix (Auto)

more information | check availability

Or youcan start taking alot of these.....Good luck either way.

12. Gumby

I'll be old and grey before he gets 6 mos. of driving experience. By then he probably won't have a valid driver's license

13. Cruiserhead05

Thanks guys.

I am well aware that the 80 can do everything the 40 can do, and in most cases, alot better. Its not fair however for me to bring up the DD discussion considering they both eat gas and i bought a beater for that.

For me, i guess its a matter of which would be easy to replace in say, 5 years. When it comes to that discussion i feel like the 40 is a better truck to hold on to, but then i remind myself i probably wouldn't get jack for a high mileage old 80....maybe $7k(?)

Regardless, i am going to pull all the strings i can to swing keeping both, even if it means going to get a small loan so i can buy the 40 from the REAL owner

14. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers

i would keep the 40 in ten years you will be able to pick up and 80 for like 3k and a 40 will be hard to find, also there is nothing i mean nothing like wheeling an open top truck with the windscreen down on the hood, i would not give it up for the world

15. Cruiserhead05

....So its ROTW like desertdude's 80 that make me tempted to sell the 40 and through a ton of $$$$ into the 80.

Decisions decisions

16. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

80 boo 40 yey....

keep the classic

17. green73

green73

Media:
    Albums:
    Biase opinion here, but keep the 40. Like others have said, if you want an 80 later on they are and will be easier to come by. An FJ40 in the condition of yours....not so easy. It helps to have DD for MPG sake too. BUt take all of uur opinions with a grain of salt, and ultimately it will be your decission. I do not envy you one bit in this potential decission.

18. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

Minor Hijack - I've got the same type problem here with an 80 and a 60... it is not so much owning both or storing them - it is what is stuck in my craw over the insurance company not giving any break for 2 people having 3 vehicles... both the 80 and the 60 are required to be insured to have tags here and the insurance company obviously thinks my wife and I can drive three vehicles at a time since they are charging the same amount as if all three vehicles are on the road at the same time.

I am selling the 80 but taking my sweet time to do it and not coming off my price.

19. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    Tough tought decision...

There is nothing like a 40...they are just too damned cool!

That said, the 80 is in a league of it's own cool too. I will have both, hopefully much sooner than later. The 80 just wheels awesomely, gets you to the trail and tons of gear and other people comfortably and tackles all. The only thing holding you back...fear of body damage and sometimes shear size.

The 40 is just iconic. What it should be...you can wheel the crap out of it stock, or upgrade and upgrade...but it will NEVER be an 80, just like the 80 will never be a 40. Topless wheeling is unrivaled!

The good thing is...they make just about every drivetrain/body part. you could build a 40 front scratch...(although expensive) And as much as people say there are nice 80's everywhere...there just aren't. Tons have high mileage, not many with lockers, but there prices are down.

Good luck on this quest...keep both ;)

20. dingdong

dingdong

Put the 40 body on the 80 chassis.

In my opinion, that would be the ultimate LandCruiser.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">