40 Towing Capacity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled a Bobcat 743 skid steer about 60 miles to a cabin for the weekend back in '91...three speed tranny, 2.5" lift, 31's....was a fun time..... :rolleyes:

I will only pull my 550 jet ski around behind the red truck now....or the M416 military trailer...

4K boat? You could get the tail waggin' the dog REALLY easy with this set up....bring a camera...take some pics to post up when it all ends up in a ball... :)

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
4K boat? You could get the tail waggin' the dog REALLY easy with this set up....bring a camera...take some pics to post up when it all ends up in a ball... :)

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the vote of confidence, cmon man it's not that heavy.

HawkDriver said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, cmon man it's not that heavy.

Niether is this as a "tow rig"...

" 75 Fiberglass Tub FJ40, 350, 6 pt Cage, 32's, Discs F&B, Psteer & More "

:doh:

Don't do it. I would not go over 2400 lbs, and that is pushing it mightily. What kind of hitch setup do you have?

2400 huh, damn. You know, I'm not exactly sure what the boat weighs anyways. I better check. The hitch has yet to be installed, I'm trying to decide on this still. The F150 pulls it fine with a 9000 # cap. The old 4runner had a 5000 # cap, and my friends Xterra is rated at 3500 # with the manual trans that it has, he pulls a 4-5000 # boat fine.

Yes I understand it's not a designated "Tow Rig" so I'll prolly have to try it nice and easy and see how she does. If she can't take it and I deem it unsafe then I'll just not do it. Thanks for the help guys. Take pictures I will.

An FJ40 is a little tractor. It CAN pull it, but there is the short wheelbase to contend with. It has the bolt holes for a hitch, but I have never read about a towing capacity rating for it. Remember, an FJ40 weighs about 4000 lbs, a little less, so think about the physics involved. I have pulled my 17 foot wooden sailboat and 18 foot wooden driftboat with no problems at all. This 11 foot trailer is about 350 lbs over my comfort level, and to be honest, I'd be much happier at 1000 lbs. We weighed at a weigh station and it comes in at 2400.
DSCN1122 (Small).JPG

I would think that you would be ok with a dual axle trailer and either surge brakes or electric, I have towed my 4500 lb 20' boat with my 40 about 10 miles single axle wiith surge brakes and the only problem was excessive tounge weight I would guess about 500 lbs , The front end was a liittle light. Not the best but I felt safe. You need some sort of brakes on the trailer so that you have a composit unit.

Yellowstone, yep. Yeah, you can see tongue weight was an issue with me, too.

I have electric brakes and that made stopping pretty good.

Mines got a 302, front disks, and 31's everything else stock. Drug my POS DD cheby Lumina sedan (appx 3500#) to the shop when it broke down. A 40 is geared low enough to get things going easy enough but stopping with the short wheel base is not. I only had to tow the car on semi-flat roads and not very far!! Ive been called a crazy SOB but dont think that ill be towin that much weight any time soon unless its an emergency rescue type tow (ya know out the woods or the like).
Second the trailor with some sort of breaking system if theres no other options.

I've never seen an equalizer hitch on a trailer that small, but it might be a good idea if your doing it regularly. it will keep you setup much more stable. and I would stay away from surge breaks if you can. when or if you get tail whip they can cause major problems, where a standard electric trailer break setup will allow you to break the trailer only and straighten it out so at least you can stop withouth having a wreck and readjust your weight.

I pull a little utility trailer with my 40 when we go hunting. It's packed with some pretty heavy items but probably only 1500 lbs. Actually the cruiser rides very nice with the trailer on. A bit slow going up hills with the F engine.

Remember guys...unless you have a full floating rear axel, overloading it wouldn't be wise.

what's 2700 kg in pounds???

towed my brothers troopy on a dual axle trailer with my 40... 2f, stock front disks/rear drums

1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so 2700 kg = 5940 lbs. Does your 40 have a full floating rear?
Doug S, how does the axle status affect it?

yes it has full floating rear.

a full floater by it's design doesn't rely on the axle shafts to support the weight, that is all down to the hub bearings/ axle housings..

i take it 6000 pounds was a bit much to ask of the old girl... she's still running :D

lol... i don't think i'd do it again... hauled it about 200 miles (ruff conversion from k's). stopping wasn't fun, but i kept alot of distance (and it was 2am)... surprising how often i actually got into 4th gear :D

bad_religion_au said:
surprising how often i actually got into 4th gear :D

The advantage of only having 3 gears, is you don't have to worry about that 4th ;) :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom