40 stripped by thieves and starting over....again. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
So the world's longest rebuild has just gotten longer. I had my vehicle delivered from storage yesterday and it seems everything has been removed save the engine block. Throttlebody injection intake manifold, Optima battery, electronic fuel injection system, motor wiring harness which was brand-new, engine computer, gauges, long travel shocks, Griffin aluminum radiator and fan, and every single accessory on the 5.7 L V-8 Chevy engine. Whoever did it took their time and removed anything and everything I added. Insurance won't cover it AFAIK and I've called the cops. Thinking about having some of my action-oriented Pipe Hitters Union friends go pay a visit to the shop… so I'm out a couple grand in parts and have to start over so I can get the sucker running and to the ranch to hunt from it. Any recommendations on directions I should go? I'll post pictures in a few…I had it stored so insurance, even from USAA, doesn't really cover anything but they have not said NO yet.....

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. We need to develop a security system that sends a jolt through unauthorized visitors!

Crappy... I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad they didn't just steel your truck, strip it, and torch it.

Why won't the insurance company cover it? They'd cover it if a thief broke in and stole your stereo... Why not other bolt on upgrades? Was it because it was in storage? Does the storage lot have security, security cameras? Someone spent a day or two stripping your truck (or a crew, some hours) someone must know something. I'd watch for the stuff showing up for sale! Do you have any pictures of the stuff so we also can watch for it?

Trying to move past that ugliness, I'd reconsider the way you'd built it, try to learn from the process, and build it again better than ever. I'd try to keep the build as simple as possible... TBI, Gabriel Shocks, New Battery (Optima's Rep is slipping), Copper 4 core rad, etc. I'd also engrave a drivers license number on your parts so the crooks can be charged and your stuff returned.

If I was starting over, I'd buy a donor vehicle... Perhaps a diesel, maybe even a Mercedies Turbo Diesel. I'd run newer axles with ebrake on the rear axle, a split case, perhaps an auto (even though I hate them... Damn buggered knee), huge alternator, 31 series battery(s)... Maybe even stretch he 40 into a 43 or a 4 door.

Homeowners insurance policies seem to cover some off the wall stuff sometimes. Auto policies suck for theft stuff. That really sucks sorry to hear.

Yeah now that stuff is cheaper I'm open to different axles and engines. Part of me just wants to sell it and get a used Rhino or Big Red.....BUT, we cant leave anything this cool alone can we, so probably I will figure out a way to make it even cooler with a badass intake and EFI plus a fuel cell and bigger everything AGAIN......

If anyone needs a set of 18/12/ 37" Krawlers that have about 10% life left in Dallas, come and get em. I have fresh 35s going on.

Last edited:
:mad:

Major bummer man. I second the craigslist check as even check the classifieds on here. Further it's likely the guy was a cruiser owner if he took cruiser specific parts. I'd look up some baseball players for the pipe job.

I remember some years ago LT had his FI conversion stolen right out of the yard at Metal Tech. I don't think he ever recovered it.:( My gut feeling always was that another customer in the shop had seen it, perhaps even might have been shown it by Travis.

Which leads me to wonder how many people knew about your rig where it was parked.

I know it's not much of a consolation, but cruiserbrett had his completed FI badass 40 stolen...from in front of his house.:mad:

Mark

Hey thanks Mark and everyone. Good seeing you some years back at Randy's shop here in Dallas on your run back to Cali. 100% it was the little hood rats that worked at the shop did it. We had issues. They always had ladies around and when you arrive in a Porsche they notice. One guy in particular did not like me talking to them.....One main mechanic is still my guy and they ripped him off as well. 3 vehicles in addition to mine stored in a locked yard. There was no way to know unless I checked under the hood every time I checked on it. Now I'm a little wiser. The reason I brought it home was the lease expired on the shop......Sucks because I basically could buy a 6.2L for all those shiny parts I'd stashed since 06!

Last edited:
A couple weeks back I saw a 6.2 for sale for $450. So there are deals.

Counting on it. Would hate to have to sell Frankenstein.....

Hey thanks Mark and everyone. Good seeing you some years back at Randy's shop here in Dallas on your run back to Cali. 100% it was the little hood rats that worked at the shop did it. We had issues. They always had ladies around and when you arrive in a Porsche they notice. One guy in particular did not like me talking to them.....One main mechanic is still my guy and they ripped him off as well. 3 vehicles in addition to mine stored in a locked yard. There was no way to know unless I checked under the hood every time I checked on it. Now I'm a little wiser. The reason I brought it home was the lease expired on the shop......Sucks because I basically could buy a 6.2L for all those shiny parts I'd stashed since 06!

So it probably was an inside job, nicely prepared before the lease was up :mad:

So it probably was an inside job, nicely prepared before the lease was up :mad:

x2 ... maybe the cops will figure it out, maybe not, but let the a'holes sweat a bit ... on the other hand, what's done is done ... make it better than it was ...
:cheers:

I second checking with your home insurance. Not quite the same situation, but had an accident a few years ago pulling a travel trailer and all the contents where covered by my home insurance. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck with the rebuild.

Cheaper than a new engine.....

Look at this on eBay:

Throttle Body Injection (TBI) Swap Kit for Chevy 350 (5.7) without trans control

http://bit.ly/1qcoSkl

Just looking at what's missing is making my wallet hurt. FFFFF!

Last edited:
5.3l LS motor complete headed my way....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom