40 series to 80 series frame swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I was curious if anyone had swapped a 40 series frame for an 80 series frame. I plan to do this swap, even got the doner 80 series bought. I Know i'll have some wheel base issues, But was curious if anyone had done this before.

I plan to either shorten the frame, or lengthen the body. not sure yet.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

frank of the horsetooth 4 wheelers did this...he has a 69/96 FZJ40 something or other... ;p

He's an ASE toyota mechanic...so I'm sure that helped

:)

attachment.php

frank2.jpg
frank3.jpg
frank.JPG

If you're thinking of stretching the tub and body, check out paranoid56's thread of his 84 toytruck swap..aka camotoy build thread. Might give you some good ideas of how to stretch and the issues you might run into. Good luck and take lots of pics.

Thanks for the response guys,

It gives me ideas on whether to strtch the body or shorten the frame.

This is the doner vehicle
08-03-07_1833.jpg

Poor guy, he's in better shape than my own 80. But with no motor or trans, not worth rescuing. It's also right hand drive, so its difficult to register down here. I'll take what i need and part the rest out.

This is the recipient
DSC04717.jpg

I still havn't made up my mind yet.
because i plan to run the hard top, it complicates the body stretch a bit. Not impossible but time consuming.
I really like the idea of maintaining the original frame integrity. and just fabing the body mounts and bobing the excess overhang.

Then again i still like the look of the original sized 40. And shortening the frame can be done strongly, but involves more work to get it right.

I'll post picts as i get started

Cheers

wow nice 40!

Check out the 55 section and a post from dieselcruiserhead. He is lopped about 12" out of the center of an 80 series frame and is mounting a 55 on it.
FWIW, the frame is at its narrowest, in the center, changing the linkage on the rear axle would be a bitch, look thought the 55 post and ther are some great pics of a naked frame.
Dave

I was looking to gain more ride comfort and strength out of the swap. I currently wheel a diesel F350 . And wanted to build a smaller rig for tighter trails. As well as a rig that was easier to fix body damage. The 40 fits the bill, but i wanted something special.

I also have an 80 series for DD, It's actually the best riding of all my 4x4's. But it is on the fat and heavy side and i really don't want to mess it up taking it off road. I don't want to end up walking to work.;)

Here are some pics of my rigs.
F350
DSC04612.jpg

Daily Driver
Trinidad20003-1.jpg

See what i mean about body damage... That was just a little muddy rut and it took the corner off the bumper. I hate plastic bumpers.

Being used to leaf sprung trail rigs, I wanted more comfort and control that the 80 chassis has to offer.
It also has a wider track, better articulation than a stock 40 and softer ride. I won't have to worry about broken leafsprings either.
The longer wheelbase helps on hill climbs, And the chassis is probably twice as strong.

I'm sure its a lot of work, but rainy season is still 4 months away. so i got plenty of time before the season begins.

Thanks Phaedrus for the post, I'll look it up.

Cheers

If you're not swapping the 80 series drivetrain, I don't see the worth in a funky looking 40 with the same drivetrain and an mass-produced coil spring suspension.

IMO do a coil spring / link suspension on the 40 series, and add some wheel spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom