40 Series Seat covers - premade or hire an upholsterer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a bit of guidance please. I'm looking for recommendations on seat covers. They look fairly easy to replace, but I want to replace the padding also. Is it best to buy premade covers and pads and do everything myself? or is it best to just drop everything off at an upholstery company and let them sew up and make their own covers?

Which way have you found to be less expensive and have you found any difficulties doing it yourself? And if you've purchased premade.... where did you get them. Who sells the best covers for the money?

I have a 12/70 build with the 60/40 split low back front seat and the 2 face to face folding factory jump seats in the back

Thanks for all you can offer

I need a bit of guidance please. I'm looking for recommendations on seat covers. They look fairly easy to replace, but I want to replace the padding also. Is it best to buy premade covers and pads and do everything myself? or is it best to just drop everything off at an upholstery company and let them sew up and make their own covers?

Which way have you found to be less expensive and have you found any difficulties doing it yourself? And if you've purchased premade.... where did you get them. Who sells the best covers for the money?

I have a 12/70 build with the 60/40 split low back front seat and the 2 face to face folding factory jump seats in the back

Thanks for all you can offer
I just did Cruiser Corps covers on my 60/40 bench in my '69. I have the jump seat covers but havent made time to do those yet. I would call it a 2 bananna job, pretty straight forward and easy. Your seat should have springs, the padding is about 1.5-2" foam that you can buy at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I ended up re-using the existing foam (not factory, it was from a previous seat rebuild) and then put a new 3/4" piece of foam over the old stuff. I also put poly-fill fiber inside all of the spring cavity, and some old foam rolled up into the springs themselves. I found the springs to be far too bouncy & soft without the polyfill. I used 4 bags for the 60 seat base and 2 bags for the 40 seat base. If I did it again, I would go with 3 and 1.5, they are just a bit too firm now. One key is using some kind of wire through the cover surround that won't let the screws pull through the fabric when you stretch it. I'm bad at taking detailed step by step photos, here are a bunch:

IMG_4005.JPG
IMG_4010.JPG
IMG_4011.JPG
IMG_4012.JPG
IMG_4014.JPG
IMG_4019.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG
IMG_4028.JPG
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4007.JPG

I just did Cruiser Corps covers on my 60/40 bench in my '69. I have the jump seat covers but havent made time to do those yet. I would call it a 2 bananna job, pretty straight forward and easy. Your seat should have springs, the padding is about 1.5-2" foam that you can buy at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I ended up re-using the existing foam (not factory, it was from a previous seat rebuild) and then put a new 3/4" piece of foam over the old stuff. I also put poly-fill fiber inside all of the spring cavity, and some old foam rolled up into the springs themselves. I found the springs to be far too bouncy & soft without the polyfill. I used 4 bags for the 60 seat base and 2 bags for the 40 seat base. If I did it again, I would go with 3 and 1.5, they are just a bit too firm now. One key is using some kind of wire through the cover surround that won't let the screws pull through the fabric when you stretch it. I'm bad at taking detailed step by step photos, here are a bunch:

View attachment 3091520View attachment 3091521View attachment 3091522View attachment 3091523View attachment 3091525View attachment 3091526View attachment 3091528View attachment 3091529View attachment 3091540View attachment 3091541
WOW.... NICE!!! THAT'S WHAT I WANT!!! I'd like to clean up my seat frames though

An upholstery shop will have an almost infinite number of color and texture options to choose from, including the welt material, whereas with a vendor you get what they got and that’s it. I had mine done to match my soft top in light gray with black welt.

F7BF74E2-6F76-43F0-9643-024A500AF34B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom