40 series rear right quarter panel - Defect? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please see attached photo. I initially thought it was poor body work but then saw it on another 40 series. Can anyone explain what it is.
IMG-20220321-WA0003~2.jpg

It's definitely not factory. I've never seen it before that.

Just the one side?

I highly doubt these are factory. All the above photos show evidence of body work that deviates from factory construction. Alignment is poor. The 4 wheel drive emblem is riveted. All the paint is too deep and shiny to be original. The curve in the lower door panel which started in 1/79 is not easy to fabricate correctly. I would guess this is an attempt to fab and reinforce that area when the body work was done. Also, the original joint between the rear sill and the quarter panel does not usually have external weld on it. This is typically a dead giveaway that the rear sill and quarter panels have been reworked or replaced at some point.

I highly doubt these are factory. All the above photos show evidence of body work that deviates from factory construction. Alignment is poor. The 4 wheel drive emblem is riveted. All the paint is too deep and shiny to be original. The curve in the lower door panel which started in 1/79 is not easy to fabricate correctly. I would guess this is an attempt to fab and reinforce that area when the body work was done. Also, the original joint between the rear sill and the quarter panel does not usually have external weld on it. This is typically a dead giveaway that the rear sill and quarter panels have been reworked or replaced at some point

Are both the red and the blue vehicles showing poor body work or were these spots originally factory reinforcement?

Definitely repair work, face it, these rigs are having corrosion issues over forty years time. Hence the 3/4 circle reinforcements and other enhancements, plus that paint is way too new to be 'original'
What are the expectations? Barn find unicorns in pristine shape are a myth.

To the OP, here's a picture of an original, well-preserved, never been re-welded or re-painted late model rear quarter and door. Note the lack of weld at the rear sill joint, and good alignment of the curved door corner. If there was some other market that received this "reinforcement" that looks like a bubble, I have never seen it in all my travels throughout the world. But, I haven't been everywhere... :beer:
1648052840443.png

Does anyone know if those “bubbles” are formed in the metal or are they an added sheet metal piece with faired-in edges via filler? Or maybe even filler/bondo completely? 😂

If factory, I’d guess formed metal; if repair work who knows. The different shapes is puzzling for factory, and honestly, if formed in the metal directly they’re lousy from a structural strength point - they actually will create a weak spot wrt lateral instability for loads coming down directly from the roof and the door hinge line. Wonder if anything is different with the rear sill for these?

on edit: rust patches? 😆

I was curious about the bubbles as I saw them on different vehicles in America and Asia. I know both vehicles are not in original paint, but the discussion is about the bubbles, not the paint or body work.

Perhaps since this a high rust spot, a repair with a radius like that is the simple repair. Only way to really know is to dig deeper and look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom