40 Series Owners w/ 40 Series H55F currently installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very insightful thread, have a question though:
Given that many 10/82+ 40 Series are factory equipped with a 4 speed Transmission, eg, FJ40s, HJ47s or BJ45s (in Europe),
do they share the new inspection cover ("5 speed cover"), as depicted/illustrated above?
In other words, is the inspection cover a matter of vintage ( before or after 10/82 ) or of transmission (4 speed/5 speed)?

===
1984 BJ42 frame-off restored
1983 BJ45 resto-project

The four speed floor is the same at least general market. May be some markets but major markets like Australia the floor was the same. My picture above has an inspection cover from a H41 four speed. Upper and lower covers are the right side are 10/82+ white is a five speed black is a four speed.
IMG_2764.JPG

Living in the past said:
"Upper and lower covers are the right side are 10/82+ white is a five speed black is a four speed".
I guess you meant:
"Upper and lower covers at the right side are 10/82+ white is a five speed black is a four speed".
Excuse me if I'm mistaken (English is not my mother tongue) dear Living in the Past.

PS. I thing that somehow I do live in the past too, as, perhaps, some other guys in this Forum do. Lol! :)

===
1984 BJ42 frame-off restored, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45 resto-project

Last edited:
The four speed floor is the same at least general market. May be some markets but major markets like Australia the floor was the same. My picture above has an inspection cover from a H41 four speed. Upper and lower covers are the right side are 10/82+ white is a five speed black is a four speed. View attachment 2323981
what vehicle and year did the black one come from?

what vehicle and year did the black one come from?

Black came off an Australian 84 HJ47RV. It was totaled in the Phoenix area early 2015. If I search have the VIN somewhere. Dated as either 5 or 6 of 84. Floor had been sprayed bed liner. It is shaped the same as the one from the BJ42 I date at 3/83. The hump section I pictured is suppose the be from a 83 HJ47 trayback.

The top left white one is from 80 or 82 US market FJ40. Not sure which have two but would be the same either way.
Lower left red one is from a US market 87 FJ60.

Last edited:
It is from a 40 series 4 speed — HJ47 or FJ40 pre 10/82 after changing from the flat type.
It isn't from a 1980. I have an unmolested 1980. It has the cover on the top left. The black cover also is dimensional different than the white cover along the bottom edge from right to left. I'm betting the bottom right will fit my 1980 perfectly.

It isn't from a 1980. I have an unmolested 1980. It has the cover on the top left. The black cover also is dimensional different than the white cover along the bottom edge from right to left. I'm betting the bottom right will fit my 1980 perfectly.
Like I said pre 10/82 after changing from the flat type for 4 speed. I have seen other 1983 BJ42 with flat type cover (4 speed) too. But 10/82 on wards on 4 speed are primarily raised type.
Yes, that one will fit.

Last edited:
Like I said pre 10/82 after changing from the flat type for 4 speed. I have seen other 1983 BJ42 with flat type cover (4 speed) too. But 10/82 on wards on 4 speed are primarily raised type.
Yes, that one will fit.
Now to find one...hint hint.

Now to find one...hint hint.
I have one for sale.

Yes, that one will fit.

I wouldn't be buying anything to quick. Look at the mounting holes locations on lower left of the black one compared to upper white one. The floor section is still in Australia along with that inspection cover. The others are here in the US but not here where I am. Within a week should be able to get all four pictured as well as another five speed cover and a few others.
Thinking some of the confusion may be because the lower left is off a wrecked troopy. The hump was distorted. That included the inspection cover and PTO shifter boot.

I wouldn't be buying anything to quick. Look at the mounting holes locations on lower left of the black one compared to upper white one. The floor section is still in Australia along with inspection cover. The others are here in the US but not here. Within a week should be able to get all four pictured as well as another five speed cover and a few others.
Thinking some of the confusion may be because the lower left is off a wrecked troopy. The hump was distorted. That included the inspection cover and PTO shifter boot.
Lower left is a 60 series type, John.

I noted that at the bottom of post #47. It's from a 87. Would only be correct for a 4/85-7/87 on the US. That because Toyota added a dummy spacer to the back of our H42 four speed 4/85. 8/80 we switched to the FJ62 with a automatic. Same foot print as the FK 70 just minus the opening for the transmission shifter. Guessing in Australia this would fit 11/84-12/89 60 series with a five speed.

You know Amir would be interested in seeing what a late nineties 70 series inspection cover looks like. One that still a rectangle before going to the smaller one that the cover is just the size of the boots which are offset. 76, 78, 79 series?

You know Amir would be interested in seeing what a late nineties 70 series inspection cover looks like. One that still a rectangle before going to the smaller one that the cover is just the size of the boots which are offset. 76, 78, 79 series?
I see if I can find a photo, John.

I wouldn't be buying anything to quick. Look at the mounting holes locations on lower left of the black one compared to upper white one. The floor section is still in Australia along with that inspection cover. The others are here in the US but not here where I am. Within a week should be able to get all four pictured as well as another five speed cover and a few others.
The white cover in the upper right will not fit a 1980 US market FJ40. I purchased one because I was told it would fit. It will not.

The white cover in the upper right will not fit a 1980 US market FJ40. I purchased one because I was told it would fit. It will not.

Should have said upper right one. I know the only one that will fit a 1980 FJ40 is the upper right one. Having two white one on top is confusinf. Think I been posting the 10/82+ inspection cover for either a four speed or five speed since I for my first late model cover would not fit a pre 10/82 for five years. That when I got my first 10/82+ inspection cover which was for a four speed. That is the first time I had the two side by side to compare them. I know it's been posted that the BJ42 for a five speed have a taller tunnel than four speed but have never found any thing to support this. I know most the area under the heater is raised not the entire tunnel. But this is on both four speeds and five speeds in most markets.

I was trying to point out lower right black cover will not directly fit on a 1980 model or any 1/79-7/80 4X series. Which what I thought you were saying is what the lower right black.one would do. Be nice if Two upper weren't white. My other five speed cover is black so that won't help much either. If I had easy excess to my 79 could warm the floor mat so it wasn't so brittle and remove that cover which is blue.

The four speed floor is the same at least general market. May be some markets but major markets like Australia the floor was the same. My picture above has an inspection cover from a H41 four speed. Upper and lower covers are the right side are 10/82+ white is a five speed black is a four speed. View attachment 2323981
This is a 5 speed in a 81 bj42 with the low floor.
The fit but uery close.

received_2432158003662767.jpeg

20210102_181217.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom