40 Series Owners w/ 40 Series H55F currently installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

58261-90801 is the part number for five speed inspection cover. Same for BJ42 and FJ40. The floor plate this bolts to is the same for both as well. Beside the radiator shroud being deeper the input shaft is longer too which makes the bellhousing deeper as well. Toyota was really standardizing the body on the 4X series from the B pillar forward. If the LWB was different maybe a H55F with a hand brake on the transfer would have been possible.

If we ignore just the spline count for the moment , are you saying that the shafts are actually the same lenght ? I thought bellhousing lenghts were also different ?

Answer above. But no it is different. B engine input shaft is longer.

Last edited:
Yeah that was my understanding also

The H55F was a lot more common in the BJ42 than the FJ40. Same case on mid wheel base 4x series since most those were BJ too. My H55F was out of a 83 BJ42 LX model. Have verified personally that the BJ42 were longer. While I doubt I would have shipped separately I did purchased the drive shafts, bash plate, crossmember from the same BJ42 in Australia. All these parts are the same as those used on the FJ40 with a five speed.

I need to see a photo of a completed installation of a 40 series H55F in a late model 40 series. There are too many H55F threads that run all over with this combination and or that combination, modification of this or that, "..have you considered..", "I did it this way but I'm considering..."........no. I'm not interested any any combination other than a completed installation of a 40 series H55F in a late model 40 series. If we can stay on topic maybe some clarity can be provided to the spaghetti bowl of threads that never answer the original posters question.

There should be plenty in Olive's thread ...

cfn9sMuSF5-SwR9Y0I4vha_3DL5WzEO3_qZTb05PrIxpfBmGcjJg23xyloZJGMDgrKu-mrCJprP9mOOWIehY4eakVSHAzvCTjjUMJmqpaTpZ16PWkXr-W4_3KQ1qYzpnI7PQy9C5cBsDe_s8-tsCphpxuRRlzIP3Pmkr36DSxfC83bVVKk5SDVzLP9WzbdDvKbjjVxXh0X6GFZTIaKt_9l0PnJzNsa6zco-9shr9zFf1VU91mwAFFBRPaHwC3ShuyTQr0X_kjKvP5IBMM_OvUu6DTbTlDKR5H0zIvGBvKo1xgaHjNWHmrHF49iKAqUlAJ7vz4zkokPYdl3OhPlHaaCLJmH9590b4vroD0BN6OCBlyPPruss5z6D05Nt2kAcs9paHxg0phAzGx1hA1SGb3DBwVadwfaBhTY2nkgzEsblspAhtW5u55zk2WhlX0SQYSwBwUQvXWOUw2_eSbtueRn6KX8dPV-RHERaCSHa5rk-d_DH2tHCZhrzf4VeT34Q0WDPedXJom7pZS39h8ndXALhn7K89bQvdIK2eT1sgNvwED_TQJ6s5rH8PUtbeBGROrgHpsbJYWY-2YRRkez-UgK6Tbdj7w8Z9TCpA_rWVvy0p8EwtNfp7tEp7xEKXgKw1Zx_rf0GovAXQIGcYo8RoArT5hMxOd29ZQ7GejL65Tre7KdJ1s3GQtWgyWrNYdA=w1057-h789-no

OEM 3B and bellhousing removed

"Olive's thread"..? I keep getting paint threads. Would you know the thread title of posters name?

"Olive's thread"..? I keep getting paint threads. Would you know the thread title of posters name?

this may help us stay on topic : :) 🈯

1590772215088.png

this may help us stay on topic : :) 🈯

Thank you. After hours of searching the "Ugly Betty" thread is the only clear indication that I can find that the OEM transmission access cover for a H55f in a 40 series has a raised section. What I also noticed is that the access cover laps the sloped portion of the firewall unlike the access cover for the 4 speed. Modification to the access cover for the 4 speed access cover may be my only option.

Last edited:
well mods , using all OEM parts is what we do best right brother !

you have my blessing !

start a new idea is always my motivation .......... :)

matt

You know ?

there is a SOLID input voice i just now realized

Kurt would have Very Valued Input here on this topic and i am 94.20%

sure he has run across this @cruiseroutfit ' ers out in salt lake too

lets hope he can chime in very soon .

i have seen him post Photos here on MUD that lead me to believe he may

have the Pandora's Box of Service Cover wisdom we seek 🤔

All OEM is the goal. Thanks to individuals like yourself it is mostly possible.

To go stock here are a few other pieces that would make it easier. All my efforts to find a second bash plate have not been fruitful.
P1050982 (1).JPG

IMG_20190814_105333095.jpg

Still on the hunt for a few more piece on my 79 build. Think the H55F is pretty well covered.

PS: while the 79/80 do not have the fixed nuts to bolt the crossmember L brackets on the bash plate does line up to those used on the four speed plate in a 79/80

It's what we refer to as a skid plate. Toyota calls a cover. Australians refer to it as a bash plate which discribes how I normally used one.

got it .

i call it a :

- fresh coat of Chassis black every time its pulled off , HOME DEPOT industrial enamel works best tall silver cans of poison !

- good place to use up my hordes of OEM SeMS wide-washer Bling too ...........

- :D

301E91D5-1388-4620-82DB-C6064FBA9D48.jpeg

Last edited:

Ugly Betty became Olive ... one and the same mate !

Very insightful thread, have a question though:
Given that many 10/82+ 40 Series are factory equipped with a 4 speed Transmission, eg, FJ40s, HJ47s or BJ45s (in Europe),
do they share the new inspection cover ("5 speed cover"), as depicted/illustrated above?
In other words, is the inspection cover a matter of vintage ( before or after 10/82 ) or of transmission (4 speed/5 speed)?

===
1984 BJ42 frame-off restored
1983 BJ45 resto-project

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom