40 Series Owners w/ 40 Series H55F currently installed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to talk to any late model FJ40 series owners that have a 40 series H55F installed in their late model FJ40. If you do not have the above combination information regarding any other models or transmissions will just muddy the waters. Please don't introduce another rabbit trail to side track the conversation. Thanks

Just to clarify so that you get the conversation that you want. What years do you mean by "late model"? And is there a difference between a "40 series" H55F and other H55Fs? (maybe there's an early H55 that was available as an option for '40s? I dunno) For example, I've got a '75 FJ40 with an H55F that was installed new in 2002, does that meet your criteria? 🤔🙂

Just to clarify so that you get the conversation that you want. What years do you mean by "late model"? And is there a difference between a "40 series" H55F and other H55Fs? (maybe there's an early H55 that was available as an option for '40s? I dunno) For example, I've got a '75 FJ40 with an H55F that was installed new in 2002, does that meet your criteria? 🤔🙂
There is a difference in H55Fs. The model for the 40 series has the shifter forward on the transmission. The model for the 60 series the shifter is towards the rear. I will find some photos. The H55F with the 40 series top cover is rare. I do not know if they were still available new in 2002

Your 40 has the older transmission tunnel. It is not the same as the late model 40s. Here are the 2 transmissions. This may help you determine which H55F you have. The one on the left is for a 60 series FJ. the one on the right is for a 40 series FJ. Owners do complete conversions using the 60 series but I don't want to get side tracked.

H55F Differences. 40 series on the right.JPG

Your 40 has the older transmission tunnel. It is not the same as the late model 40s. Here are the 2 transmissions. This may help you determine which H55F you have. The one on the left is for a 60 series FJ. the one on the right is for a 40 series FJ. Owners do complete conversions using the 60 series but I don't want to get side tracked.

Gotcha. Yeah, mine is definitely the later model H55F in I would assume a modified tunnel. Good info, thanks.

Gotcha. Yeah, mine is definitely the later model H55F in I would assume a modified tunnel. Good info, thanks.
Post a photo in your Media section for others to reference. You have a very rare transmission $$$$

Your tunnel should look something like this

FJ40 Transmission tunnel early model.JPG

Your tunnel should look something like this

I haven't seen under the mat or been under my 40 where I paid attention to this specifically.

My tunnel has either been modified for the later H55, or replaced with a later tunnel. My gear shift is not in line with the transfer shifter like your picture shows, it sits back about 4 inches indicating the later model tran. (my 40 had some level of a resto done on it back in '02, but not sure of the details of all that was done)

Does your criteria exclude a 11/83 BJ 42 LX with OEM H55F ?
Hmmm....not sure. Hadn’t thought if that. You have a Diesel engine so the overall length of the of the engine and transfer case is surely different. I am trying to determine what transmission access cover is correct. There are threads about the H55F but they run all over the place with the different modifications that people do. I want to discuss strictly OEM installations in 40s that had the 40series H55F. I believe yours probably needs to be part of the discovery/discussion
Thanks

I suspect that the length of the shorter 3b engine vs the longer 2f engine size, is compensated for by the length of the bellhousing.

Last edited:
I suspect he length of the shorter 3b engine vs the longer 2f engine size is compensated for by the length of the bellhousing.
Interesting. Hadn’t thought about the bellhousing shifting the transmission: transfercase rearward. Do you have photos of your transmission access cover in place?

Interesting. Hadn’t thought about the bellhousing shifting the transmission: transfercase rearward. Do you have photos of your transmission access cover in place?
15906761881021956702637.jpg
1590676331575373698883.jpg

It appears that the TC shifter is set rear of the 5 speed shift cane. Could you take one with the gray box moved. Your transmission access cover appears to have a raised section? Can you photograph the left side of that cover? There appears to be different shaped transmission access covers and I am trying to determine which one is correct/will fit without modifications. Thanks

I will have to unbolt that grey storage tray and will only be able to do so tomorrow. If you want it sooner you can look on about page 3 or4 of Olive's intro ugly betty thread here, for some pictures during the resto stripdown etc ?

I will have to unbolt that grey storage tray and will only be able to do so tomorrow. If you want it sooner you can look on about page 3 or4 of Olive's intro ugly betty thread here, for some pictures during the resto stripdown etc ?
No need to remove or take photos. The access cover depicted in the "Ugly Betty" thread is raised.

The 3B mounts further back than an F series engine. It has a super deep Radiator shroud to help compensate. We can measure/photo an OEM 3B bellhousing for an OEM 40 H55F to see if the depth is any different, if that would help.

I suspect that the length of the shorter 3b engine vs the longer 2f engine size, is compensated for by the length of the bellhousing.
The 3B mounts further back than an F series engine. It has a super deep Radiator shroud to help compensate. We can measure/photo an OEM 3B bellhousing for an OEM 40 H55F to see if the depth is any different, if that would help.

Sugar Bear is correct only difference between the FJ40 and BJ42 is the input shaft. Transmission is located in the same spot and uses the same crossmember and L brackets.

Think for this thread late model would be 1/79+, that was the last main tub change. Gas tank is the same. Primary difference after 1/79 is crossmember 8/80+ and tunnel change 10/82+. 10/82 with a four speed a five speed could bolt straight in with all right parrs. Only issue would be LWB would need to be hand brake. But even that isn't hard if you locate the correct parts from other models.

Thank you

... only difference between the FJ40 and BJ42 is the input shaft ..

If we ignore just the spline count for the moment , are you saying that the shafts are actually the same lenght ? I thought bellhousing lenghts were also different ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom