Stock 40 Series Suspension - How low can you go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pick the springs you want and throw some lowering blocks under the spring perches with longer u-bolts to get the ride height you want. That's the way they do it in the 'hood!;)

Last edited:
I had the original springs and shackles from 1969 on mine. A few years ago I went with DAKAR, OME, and got the lightest set and I purchased grease able shackles just like the originals , except now a zerk fitting.
It lifted me from sagging beyond belief to a normal height. I know the max it lifted was 2 inches. Perhaps a bit less.

No leafs were removed. It is now similar to original height.

Pics?

Pick the springs you want and throw some lowering blocks under the spring perches with longer u-bolts to get the ride height you want.
1dfe86f4.jpg

WNGROG .... Love the 1st pic of your truck, and love even more your BT !! .... I've got 3

Cheers
Steve

Yeah man, your 40 is sweet. Should be on the cover of a magazine! ;)

Only real tech thing to add: it would be slick to have an adjustable rear shackle once you get ride height where you want it. I bet under an inch would cover top/no top difference with new ome springs so not a bunchof shackle hanging down. Not sure how you could make it a "quick change" set up tho.

Something like adjustable panhard bracket stuff would be cool but busy
46-1607-1.jpg
just the adjustable part of this^

cap1600.jpg

Or the serrated part of this^

But I think an anti inversion shackle with this concept (from a lawn chair!)
Screenshot_20180923-103147_Gallery.jpg

Where there are two choices, totally encircled by the shackle bar rather than open ended. Made so you would have to take weight off the truck, loosen bolts (not remove), move to desired spot, and tighten. Maybe a special washer that locks it down so it can't slip and supports all around. If I could find some time, I might mess with that one.

Costway-Pool-Chaise-Lounge-Chair-Recliner-Patio-Furniture-With-Adjustable-Back.jpg

It was probably only 30# more than the stock swingout.

With the 29” tires and the hard top with no gear it sits pretty low.

I was sold on the bag idea but now I’m thinking that’s a bad idea with 50 year old springs under this truck.

I want to use it for some longer / loaded trips

View attachment 1794476
What's your frame height from the ground to the bottom of the straight mid section of the frame? Just curious .

I’ve got ‘AIRide’ bags in mine and they work great for my tail heavy 40. I’ve read that in pickups that are empty air bags can sometimes roughen the ride. Not knowing all the information, who knows what pressure they’re at or if the ride is back to an over sprung empty pickup. BOSS bags can be run at 0psi, so you wouldn’t be stuck with having to run a minimum pressure.

I didn’t go with BOSS bags due to possible clearance issues with my rear disc brake conversion I did in ‘98... when I blazed my own trail. @Solace in Solitude has BOSS bags and seems happy with them.

Biggest downside seems to be that they eventually loose pressure and need to be checked and topped up. I’ve tied mine into onboard air with a regulator and now can adjust ride height by turning a nob. I just need to replace the regulator (it came from a compressor I bought on clearance for $25) with a better one as it looses pressure faster now that it’s hooked to the compressor.

The advantage would be that if the springs settle in 1,2,5 years you could change or remove it.

I love the look of the OPs rig, but personally would lift it a tad front and rear to get it back to OEM ride height or an 1” higher.

I like the low look personally. I think I’ve decided to do the airbags first and if I have any spring issues pop up I’ll lift it.

9B376AE9-C93E-425F-8B10-C22B5FCA8609.jpeg

BOSS bags certainly give you infinite adjustability. At 0 it’ll sit like it does now... and you can add pressure for a mild lift or to compensate for load. If you ever are doing a long trip with cargo... just adjust accordingly.

I’m sure you know... but for other readers... air bags won’t increase the load carrying capacity to beyond what it is. A 40 has a maximum load capacity and pumping the bags to 100 psi won’t increase the safe maximum load... it can pouch your frame or rig if you overload the hech out of it.

Yeah that’s not what I’m looking for just want to add my camping gear and use it from time to time. I have other Cruisers to shoulder the heavy loads.

One advantage I found with my Boss bags on my FJ60 is the help with body roll when I have my roof top tent up high. My truck is an 84 with only front sway bar and it helped there as well.

When I built this truck I cleaned up the packs and put in new bushings all around. They should be good to go for a while longer.

Low and love it. I took 7 people for a joy ride yesterday and it didn’t bottom out any. I think the bags are the way to go for the look I’m going for. I appreciate the input.

C5B6FCC3-F8B0-462A-930B-870CB52342B4.jpeg

I have air bags on my tundra and definitely enjoy them for the cabover camper. When I forget to take air out after removing the camper, it definitely has harsher ride. This always makes wonder about them on a lightweight 40 rearend. It just seems like it would result in a rougher ride on a vehicle that’s known for a rough ride. Just how it seems from my perspective.

I have them in my FJ60 and with enough air to level it out under load you can’t tell it’s any rougher with them but the advantage is that they can be deflated when not loaded and stiff leaf springs can’t.

My 40 really rides pretty good for a 40. A good fresh set of bushings and proper shackle angle with the bilsteins.

The biggest ride upgrade was the tires though. I was running 700-15 bias and they were pretty horrid

I’ve got ‘AIRide’ bags in mine and they work great for my tail heavy 40. I’ve read that in pickups that are empty air bags can sometimes roughen the ride. Not knowing all the information, who knows what pressure they’re at or if the ride is back to an over sprung empty pickup. BOSS bags can be run at 0psi, so you wouldn’t be stuck with having to run a minimum pressure.

I didn’t go with BOSS bags due to possible clearance issues with my rear disc brake conversion I did in ‘98... when I blazed my own trail. @Solace in Solitude has BOSS bags and seems happy with them.

Biggest downside seems to be that they eventually loose pressure and need to be checked and topped up. I’ve tied mine into onboard air with a regulator and now can adjust ride height by turning a nob. I just need to replace the regulator (it came from a compressor I bought on clearance for $25) with a better one as it looses pressure faster now that it’s hooked to the compressor.

As John said, I’m VERY happy with my BOSS air bags!!

1. They allow me to eliminate cruiser lean.

2. I can let air out to get into the garage.

3. I can add air to level 44 and keep the tires from rubbing, with 22 gallons in the rear tank and the back full of camping gear.

I have a compressor under the hood (where my heater blower was)... it’s not fancy, like John’s... but, my air valves are on each fender apron... so, it’s easy to adjust.

As far as having a harsher ride... I don’t notice it on pavement. It’s probably haRoger off road, but it’s also harsh off road without the bags.

With 0psi in the bags, the bags only serve is the rear bump stop.

I do feel like 44 drives smoother and tracks better, at 65-70 mph, with 40lbs of air in the bags... that translates to a 2.5” lift.

John, at slocruisers.com is one of the US distributors, for BOSS... I was quite pleased with his service.

TOp two, in the following link, are the 1963-1990 Land Cruiser Air bags (unlifted, then lifted) ... $349 and shipped free, for unlifted.

———

I’ve also run Firestone Ride Rite bags on my 2002 Tundra, since 2009. I tow a small travel trailer with it and the air bags level the Tundra nicely. No need for a wright dustribution hitch.

If you are interested in coming south you can borrow the well used OME rear springs I just picked up and give them a try and see if they will work for you. I am in no rush to put them on my rig.

E2F89B14-C6E0-4BD6-9B43-E20494CB2557.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom