40 series diesel land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a turbo-diesel sedan with 220 Ib/ft tq gets 45-50 mpg. I was at a restaurant the other day & parked outside was a 40 series land cruiser. I asked the owner how much room was under the hood. He popped the hood & I could see that it was quite spacious. I immediately was thinking about putting an aftermarket turbo-diesel engine into a 40 series land cruiser. Then I started to do a little reading on the Internet & found that Land Cruisers came with diesels. I am looking to pick up a used land cruiser with rough paint; surface scratches; minor dents & body damage; an old diesel engine. After some work I would like this land cruiser to replace my daily driver. Then I want to get to work & get it back to fair condition. I have a general idea on what I would like to do. I need this forums members expertise to help me hone in on my target. I got the wife's approval so far. I was also trying to zero in on which years are best or most preferred for my requirements.

I have some initial requirements, but these requirements can change:
Requirements: Power Steering; A/C (it's Texas); Only Surface Rust; Auto-Transmission (wife won't drive a standard);
Diesel-Engine (stock with good balance of economy & power...Turbo preferred but not required); Minimal Body Damage;
Bad-paint welcome; removeable hardtop; roll-bars-cage.

I would also like to know about some links/websites to help me search for my 40 series diesel land cruiser?

BELOW ARE THE MODELS I KNOW OF THUS FAR. I am just learning, so I am open to suggestions. If I am missing any models let me know?
BJ40 (Diesel)
BJ41 (diesel)
BJ42 (diesel)
BJ43 (diesel)
BJ44 (diesel)
BJ46 (diesel)
HJ45 Wagon (diesel)
HJ60 Wagon (Diesel)

The model was also available under the BJ40 / 41 / 42 / 43 (short wheelbase), 44 / 46 (middle wheelbase) or HJ45 / 47 (long
wheelbase) designation where it had a Diesel engine.

1973 - HJ45 launched with the H , 3.6 litre in-line 6 cylinder Diesel engine.
1974 - BJ40 / 43 launched with the B, 3.0 litre in-line 4 cylinder diesel engine.
1976 - Disc brakes on the front axle
1979 - Power steering (only F models) & airconditioning added to options, gear ratios modified for highway
1980 - HJ47 launched with 4.0 ltr 6 cyl dieselengine. End of HJ45 production
- BJ42/46 and BJ45 launched with a 3.4 liter 4 cylinder diesel engine
1981 - Power steering added on the BJ models to the options
1984 - End of 40 series production (replaced by 70 series)

Diesel Engine Capacity (l) Power (hp) Torque Used
B 3.0 85 141 lb·ft (191 N·m) 1974-1979
2B 3.2 93 159 lb·ft (216 N·m) 1979-1981
3B 3.4 98 167 lb·ft (226 N·m) 1979-1984
H 3.6 90 151 lb·ft (205 N·m) 1972-1980
2H 4.0 115 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) 1980-1984
OM314 3.8 85 235 lb·ft (319 N·m) (Bandeirante)
OM364 4.0 90 235 lb·ft (319 N·m) (Bandeirante)

:cheers:

Requirements: Power Steering; A/C (it's Texas); Only Surface Rust; Auto-Transmission (wife won't drive a standard);
Diesel-Engine (stock with good balance of economy & power...Turbo preferred but not required);

The automatic is going to be the sticking point. You could swap in a 6.2 GM diesel or 6.5td with a 700r4 and adapt it to the Toyota xfer case, but you'll have to do some work to get this to work with any form of factory AC. Aftermarket AC is an option.

It is 100% doable, but don't underestimate how much work will be involved. It will be a very cool rig when completed.

This is good information. Are the Australian BJs LHD or RHD steering? What hand drive are the Canadian BJs?

This is good information. Are the Australian BJs LHD or RHD steering? What hand drive are the Canadian BJs?

I believe they're all right hand drive at least the ones from Australia. Simple solution to the transmission dilemma is that the wife doesn't get to drive it. :D

LOL..."Simple solution to the transmission dilemma is that the wife doesn't get to drive it. " hehe. She may go for that...be right back. I will go ask her.

I went & asked her. She still has this mental block about driving a standard. Maybe I can hire a hypnotist.

"6.2 GM diesel or 6.5td" I would stick a large displacement engine into the Land Cruiser, but since I am going to use this for a daily driver 80 percent of the time then I want a small displacement turbo-diesel 3 liter to 4.5 liter...getting around 25-30 mpg overall & has 250-300 ft/tq.

"6.2 GM diesel or 6.5td" I would stick a large displacement engine into the Land Cruiser, but since I am going to use this for a daily driver 80 percent of the time then I want a small displacement turbo-diesel 3 liter to 4.5 liter...getting around 25-30 mpg overall & has 250-300 ft/tq.

Hi, if you want to keep it original go for a 3B or 2H, 2H's diesel motors were in the HJ75 series right upto around 1989.

Check my build thread below.

With the right combination the GM 6.2L will give you what you need (not sure about the 6.5T).

This is the route I am taking in my 1975 FJ40 resto/upgrade. (GM 6.2L diesel GM 700R4 auto with overdrive, stock Toyota 16 spline tcase, 3.70 R&P front and rear & 33" tires)

The stock GM truck running the 6.2L engine are getting around the 20-25mpg and this is in a full size truck. As for torque this engine was rated at 257ft/lbs (in the 1988 to 1992 version of the engine) and with some tunning can easily be brought up to 300ft/lbs. Take a look at the link below for just one of the good resources out on the web for info on the 6.2L

6.2L Diesel Engine - Diesel Place

There is also someone from the Diesel page website that has 8.9 second 1/4 mile N/A 6.2L without having done crazy work to the engine and this is in a full size GM truck from the 80'ies.

The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines.

I checked out the thread super nice land cruiser.

"Hi, if you want to keep it original go for a 3B or 2H, 2H's diesel motors were in the HJ75 series right upto around 1989." You have the 2H did you get a turbo added to that? What are you torque specs? What about average fuel economy. I love the RIG!

One would say how much do you want to spend on such a rig ?

Fuelgeddes is right. It does depend on what sort of rebuild you wish to do as how much it will cost.

I don't like working on a vehicle every week because something has gone wrong and with a FJ40 you are always doing something to it.

So I went for a full rebuild, engine, chassis, tub etc and that's not cheap if you want to do it the right way.

I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, as soon as you touch one thing the next things needs repair.

But remember these FJ40's are over 30 years old, there not speedway demons and I bought & rebuilt it accordingly and tried to make it bullet proof.

My $0.02

look seriously into the 6.2 l build. Stateside 3b diesel parts etc are very hard to find. my 3b with a four speed gets 11-13 L/100km you could probably get close with the 6.2. the american fj's often get 350 chevy conversions and these are similar to the 6.2's. when your truck is in the garage for a month waiting on parts from Japan or Australia you'll be wishing you bought a chevy!

look seriously into the 6.2 l build. Stateside 3b diesel parts etc are very hard to find. my 3b with a four speed gets 11-13 L/100km you could probably get close with the 6.2. the american fj's often get 350 chevy conversions and these are similar to the 6.2's. when your truck is in the garage for a month waiting on parts from Japan or Australia you'll be wishing you bought a chevy!

Hopefully, the OP has figured something out by now. This thread is 5 years old! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom