40 Series Dash Pad Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I just got this dash pad with a new firewall and dash panel. It's in better shape than the one that came with my truck and I am trying to avoid buying a really expensive new one. There are a couple of small cracks on this pad that don't worry me, but both sides are delaminating from the metal the foam is moulded around. Does anybody have experience working with these? How would one go about making it sit flat against the dash? I was thinking about taking the metal inserts out completely, wirebrushing them and glueing them back into place with an epoxy or something after giving the foam a good scrub. Also, if this green, algae-ridden mess isn’t worth the effort then I won’t be surprised haha :p Any help and opinions would be really appreciated!
Cheers

IMG_9246.jpeg

IMG_9247.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg

Last edited:
Mild heat and pressure might get the foam back into shape if you can get the metal off. I'd think there are standoffs molded into the foam so it might not be possible without digging out big chunks. A little bleach/water from a spray bottle would likely get rid of the pond scum.

Mild heat and pressure might get the foam back into shape if you can get the metal off. I'd think there are standoffs molded into the foam so it might not be possible without digging out big chunks. A little bleach/water from a spray bottle would likely get rid of the pond scum.
Numby, thanks for the reply! I missed the ‘post reply’ button when I wrote out my response earlier this week 😬 I think that’s some good advice though especially using bleach and water to get the pond scum away would be really smart. I ended up taking a look under the metal pieces and there aren’t any standoffs. I’ll post pictures when I have it cleaned up better but it just took carefully separating them with a putty knife to set them free.
I think the next step is making some new metal pieces to fit in the place of the old ones. I will post pictures of my process when I can get to it next.
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom