40 series capability and durability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve read on some other threads that FJ40s will embarrass wagons like the 60 and 80 series on some tight, technical trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce, presumably due to its smaller dimensions and lighter weight. Is there any truth to this; all else being equal, will a 40 series go farther than the later series of Cruisers, locker for locker, driver for driver, etc.?

Yes

Think of it a lot simpler, shorter wheelbase and better departure angle of a 40. So yes that is why Jeeps and Fj40s are so popular to wheel, same body style.

Insert hot rodding and big tires to make them more capable to cruise over rocks with less and less damage.

A SWB 70 series would give you the same benefits and a newer truck.

I’m curious why you’d say that. The 80 series is so long and heavy, it can feel like driving a school bus on some tight trails.

Much easier to roll a SWB vehicle.

Cheers

I’m curious why you’d say that. The 80 series is so long and heavy, it can feel like driving a school bus on some tight trails.
because the 80s have a far better suspension under them.

Doesn't matter what you drive, it comes down to the skill of the driver.

Chuck Yeager could out fly anyone in what ever plain he flew and proved it when he had a dog fight using an American fighter plane against a MIG. The pilot flying the MIG complained he lost because he was flying a MIG. Chuck challenged him again and they switched planes with Chuck flying the MIG and he again waxed the other pilots tail.

I had a Datsun 1600 that was more capable than the 71 Bronco that I had. The Bronco's 302 did not have a good low end and in LR the suspension would keep the wheels on the ground. Then I got the FJ40 and for me it as the best I have ever had off road. But because I would go off on my own I had to lean the skills so I was not walking home because I got stuck a lot but gradually leaned to get myself into trouble and stay out of trouble. The next truck that I had to replace the FJ40 was a half ton Dodge short box that would not turn around with out throwing out an anchor. So I stopped going off road. The F250 I had was fine for wandering around on two tracks but was not the same as my FJ40. My RAM 3500 is great for what it was designed for tow heavy and would not even attempt to take it off road the way I would the FJ40.

When I ever get my FJ40 built and drivable again I will have learn all over again and it will be hard I am not 20 anymore but 65 so I don't want long walks home. I better get good at quick.

Doesn't matter what you drive, it comes down to the skill of the driver.

Chuck Yeager could out fly anyone in what ever plain he flew and proved it when he had a dog fight using an American fighter plane against a MIG. The pilot flying the MIG complained he lost because he was flying a MIG. Chuck challenged him again and they switched planes with Chuck flying the MIG and he again waxed the other pilots tail.
Sure but I meant assuming the driver is the same for both models.

Go drive a 40 and a 80 on the rocks. Pretty obvious. 80. No need for mental gymnastics on this one.

Go drive a 40 and a 80 on the rocks. Pretty obvious. 80. No need for mental gymnastics on this one.
Fair enough, maybe the 40 series is better suited for muddy, slick forested terrain, as opposed to the wide open rocky expanses of the American west. Although if set up right, I’m sure they can more than hold their own on the rocks.

Most of the driving I did with mine was in SW Wyoming which is dry and dusty. I have had some rock crawling in the Wind River mountains and as long as I followed directions from my spotter I was fine and did better than a half ton Chevy because it was narrow and short and he always came home with damage to his trucks. Highway driving on slick roads it was twitchy and could end up rolled which I did.

Traction was the key with open differentials it did not take much to bring it to a complete stop and the best it ever did for traction was when I had a set of Ground Hawgs on it.

I have built the front and rear axles with lockers so that part of the equation will improve. I also now have better gearing with the 4:11 gears it came with because the new H55F and split TC with 3:1 low range. But when it is all said and done I have to know what it's and my limitations are.

Well probably because most guys wheeling 40’s have been doing it a long time!

An experienced driver will be able to outperform and maximize the operation of the Cruiser they are most familiar with and probably as importantly, out trail ride an average driver anytime they switch rigs.

Driver experience is likely the most important when all rigs are similarly capable.

I think an average lesser experienced driver on most trails in a locked 80 is going to out perform most capable (locked, lifted, MT tired etc.) 40’s or 60’s operated by an average driver due to how easy they are to wheel and the margin of error they offer.

However, it’s larger size will become a disadvantage when things tighten up and can even be a challenge for a 60, especially on the trails you mentioned if they are as tight as I understand they can be in places.

Well probably because most guys wheeling 40’s have been doing it a long time!

An experienced driver will be able to outperform and maximize the operation of the Cruiser they are most familiar with and probably as importantly, out trail ride an average driver anytime they switch rigs.

Driver experience is likely the most important when all rigs are similarly capable.

I think an average lesser experienced driver on most trails in a locked 80 is going to out perform most capable (locked, lifted, MT tired etc.) 40’s or 60’s operated by an average driver due to how easy they are to wheel and the margin of error they offer.

However, it’s larger size will become a disadvantage when things tighten up and can even be a challenge for a 60, especially on the trails you mentioned if they are as tight as I understand they can be in places.
Yes, my 96 Tacoma performs well on those tight trails, even with open diffs. Obviously it's not as spacious or robust as a solid axle Cruiser though. Now that you mention it, I wonder if a 60 series would flex better than a 40 due to the extra weight?

I'm always surprise by how much the 40 are capable to conform to the terrain with its good articulation, flexible chassis, SWB and no sway bar.
The front leaves that are quite centered really allows the front wheel to drop if you let it the time to.
Being short and front heavy the 40 can basculate to the front easily, so even in situations where you max out the articulation you can use this rocking effect to alternate between rear and front traction. It doesn't really need lockers if you don't go crazy.

What 40 doesn't like is speed, suspension doesn't follow if you speed up and you will list wheel where you could have not.
It also very quickly becomes unconfortable and unstable.

1685578135176.png

1685577847642.png

A SWB 70 series would give you the same benefits and a newer truck.
They have sway bars and a stiffer chassis. Pretty sure the post-99 with coils can't drop the front wheel as much that the ones with leaves also.
They compensate by often having at least a rear LSD and for some lockers (and are far better and stable on-road).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom