40 Seat & Upholstery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

umpqua

GOLD Star
Threads
Pardon if this has been asked....didn't see anything specfic in a quick search.

I've got a couple of extra bucks in my pocket (tax return) and instead of making an IRA deposit it seems smarter to have some work done on my 40 seats. The upholstery is in bad shape and the padding in the seats after 25 years has gone flat.

So, I want to take it to a local auto seat guy in Portland and have them rebuilt. It's important to me to stay with the original gray vinyl material if possible and I'd like to have new foam? padding. Also, the driver side seat is leaning quite a bit to the right. I'd like everything to be as close to back to new as possible (or better) maintaining original as close as possible.

Any suggestions on this? It would be nice to have a response to the "well I can't get the same upholstery" comment if I get it.

Probably need some seat covers after the seats are back to new.

Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello,

I bought all of the re-upholstery stuff from SOR. New covers and all new foam. It's not cheap, but I was very happy with the quality. My '69 was black, so that's what I got. We did the driver seat bottom and it was harder than we thought, so a local upholstery shop put everything together for $200. Money well spent. They are very comfortable for just being stock bench seats. Same with the jump seats in the back. The one mistake we made, was when I thought we were doing it ouselves, I had a broken spring in the seat bottom on the drivers side and I welded the spring back together. Then, when I had the upholstery guy do the rest, there was another broken one on the passenger side bottom and he just put a new spring in. Now, it feels like the one I welded broke and I'm worried it might poke through the fabric at some point. Can't feel it except it's low right there. Good luck.

why dont you just tell the local auto seat guy in Portland what you just told us and see what he says.

ih8sor

I replaced mine with sor's cushions and got them reupholsteried locally. I also had some welding to do on the seat frame. I like them so much I bought more foam to do the driver's side. I removed the old seat cover and put it back on. It's pretty but feel a lot more comfortable.

Cam - I'll do that but want to be armed with some info and I trust the info that I get from this board more because it's from folks in the know who care about Landcruisers.

Thanks....looks like SOR is a good source.

SOR lists a high density foam (spendy) and a regular foam of some sort. Do you know which foam you ordered? Did you also order foam for the seat backs? I don't see that listed from SOR. For two seat bottom cushions SOR wants $295 - which is more than the upholstery. I'm gonna order cushions and maybe the more expensive are worth it? Don't plan to do this again for a while.

Yes.

Right now if I join SOR with the 10% discount I will be paying ~ $515 for both seats; upholstery and high density foam seat cushions. I called a local shop and they quoted $165 per seat for install. That brings the total job to ~ $850 total. Seems like a lot to me. Probably will have to fork over the dough to SOR but I'll keep shopping for an install price.

I still need to address the driver side seat leaning to the right. I guess a bracket is bent or something. Not sure if it could be straightened and would then stay straight.

Where are you at in Portland?

North Portland. Moved here from Arkansas 6 years ago.

Any suggestions on this? It would be nice to have a response to the "well I can't get the same upholstery" comment if I get it.

Probably need some seat covers after the seats are back to new.

Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

You need to look up Shane up there in Portland...Goes by AATLAS1X here on MUD and elsewhere...

He has a lot of super cool restoration parts/items and seems to have figured out just about everything with regard to restoring a 40. I have a feeling he may have some insight to exactly what you are wanting to do :cheers:

I had mine done in marine grade vinyl. I went through her (upholstery shop) catalog of material samples and picked out a pale gray, a dot pattern in the same gray for the center panels and black welt. I 've gotten a lot of comments, and I have to admit it looks awesome. She did all four (bucket fronts and both rear troop seats, headrest covers, ten peices total, for $400.00
march 07 misc pics 029.jpg

Corsair - sent a pm to AAT. Will hope for a response and thanks for the reference.

Igotta - the seats look great and the price sure is right. I'm really interested in keeping the total stock look of the 40 so I think I'll try for the original vinyl. Does look very good though.

I think AATLAS purchased a bunch of material that was identical or nearly the same as the stock material and pattern and he always seems to be redoing front and rear seats to stock. Like others said, since he's local and knows what's up, I'd wait for his reply. I think he does nice work too. I bought a replica shift plate for my pocket door and it looks great. He's got an eye for detail. .....Steve

I Did Mine From Sor A Set Of Hog Ring Pliers And Some Patients It Went Really Welll

seats

crs4009.jpg

got the pics right piece of cake seats heavy vynl about 250 for both sor

My buckets are at the upholsterer now. Rebuild foam and upholster both $350 plus tax out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom