40 sat for the winter now won't shift looking for troubleshooting help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
78' 40. Sat in the garage all winter. Jumped in and tried to move it out of the garage. Fired her up in neutral and tried to shift into reverse to back out of the garage and got the ol' gear grinding sound. Well that's no good.

Turned her off and tried to shift. No dice wouldn't shift into any gear.

I bled the clutch from the slave thinking maybe it would help. It didn't.

Rocked the truck back and forth about 3 feet and now I can shift with the 40 off but if I fire her up I can't shift. No gear grinding unless I try and go into reverse just can not get the stick out of neutral with the 40 running.

Took the tranny inspection plate off and can see the clutch fork moving and the throw out bearing moving etc. but I have no idea how far they need to move and if that is even related.

Lastly, I parked her last fall with the transfer case in 4H and can not get it to shift up into 2H. Not sure if that tid bit of info is important but it seems like it might be. took the tranny inspection plate off and can see the clutch fork moving and the throw out bearing moving etc. but I have no idea how far they need to move and if that is even related.

Could my master be bad even though it is moving the clutch???

Can someone hold my hand here? Not sure what else to check/mess with to try and solve the problem. Seems like something is just stuck??

Thank you!! I’ll take a look now. Might have some follow up questions as trannys are not in my wheel house.

Ok @Whitey walk me through this. I’m worried about getting her out and then being stuck.

40 is in the garage. Driveway is gravel and slopes pretty good away from the garage so if I get it out and can’t get her running I’m in a world of hurt.

Roll it out into the gravel and then start it in 2nd with the clutch out hopefully breaking the stuck parts free? Then I’m able to shift normally? And if not I can continue to hop back into the garage?

You can just put it in first and start it in gear, it should start and on your way, then just bump the throttle and put the clutch in and see if it’s disengaged. They usually break free unless it’s been sitting outside for 10 years!

Sounds like the disk is stuck and the suggestions may work. However once you get things unstuck inspect it real good to make sure it made a clean break.
After a year of setting the disk might be stuck to the point of damage.
I have never experienced a stuck clutch but one time after launching my boat which involved getting the underside of my Toy wet then leaving it parked for four days with emergency brake engaged the shoes rusted to the drum.
When I released the e-brake and took off the stuck lining on the shoes tore completely off.

Just to update everyone in this issue. My battery died trying to crank it so many times so had to charge it then life got In the way and I didn’t get to it until today. With the truck off I could get it into reverse. Made sure behind me was clear then turned the key. She almost literally hopped out of the garage in reverse with every key turn. By the time she was sitting in the driveway everything had broken free and I could shift normally. Took it for a shake down drive and everything seems to be good to go. Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom