40 Restoring Measures... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am at the early stages of tearing down the 40 for a minor restore. I say minor because all I will be doing is replacing the rear tub and a bunch of body panels, and treating the frame.

I am not sure as to how to take the tub off. More to the point, does the cowl come off with the tub and then cut away from the rear section? Also, I will be buying an aluminum tub to replace the aged POS one I have on there now. I know you can't join the steel cowl to the aluminum tub, so how is it done?

Also, what steps should I take in treating the frame? I want to etch the rust from it with acid, and I read that phosphoric would be the best since the phosphate ions remain on the metal and help to form what would be a galvanized (In essence) coating. What have you used, and what works best? I dont know where to get phosphoric acid, so if you know of general places that have it, let me know and I will check it out.

I dont want to use POR, so I am thinking about using some RustOleum in the can and painting the frame with a brush and undercoating gun. Is POR what it is cracked up to be? I have seen where water gets in once it has scratched through it and then rusted it from the inside out.

As a normal procedure, I oil the frame with bar and chain oil before each winter and in the spring to help combat the salt.

I live up in the New England salt belt and want to do this so I wont have to do it again. I want to do it right the first time, but dont want to break the bank doing it. Buying the tub and having it painted will do that just fine.

So, has anyone been in these shoes before? What can you do to help point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I recently put an aqualu tub on my 77 and love it. When I did mine I had limited time and access to the space I was using so I kept the process very simple.
removing the tub from the cowl: After everything is out of the tub seats fuel tank top doors ect. You will see the seam by the front of the door, You will want to cut the tub off as close the seam as possible. Along the floor below the pedals you will be able to see where the tub over laps and is spot welded in a few place. Cut along here too without cutting into the cowl. A sawsall works real well for this. A high speed cutting wheel and a grinder work good for the final clean up.
For cleaning up the frame again time was a factor so I did'nt get too fancy. I wire brushed everywhere I could get to. I treated the Hard to reach areas with a product called ACF50 which wicks its way into the seams. On top of it all I used the amsoil heavy duty metal protector. This stuff is a rust stopping chemical that when sprayed on leaves a waxy film. The ACF50 is said to last 2 years before needing reapplication. Both of them are relatively cheap and very easy to use.
The ACF50 is available through aviation supply houses like
http://www.wagaero.com/
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.php
Enjoy the new tub.

Thanks fellas. I checked Jeff's web page a month or so ago. He used a paint that looks like it will do what I am looking for. He used a sand blaster though, and that is something I dont have access too. I will probbably use CLR or some phosphoric acid to get off as much rust as possible. I also saw some zinc spray additive that would be good as a topcoat over the acid wash as well. The Zero Rust would follow.

Axlechassis- When you did your tub, how did you join the two dissimilar metals?

Bump.

How does one use an aluminum tub and a steel cowl and join them together? :-\

Pinion:

I am completing a cowl back aqualu myself. You need to go ahead and give aqualu a call and let them know what you are doing and that you would like a copy of thier install video in advance of your purchase. This will show you how to do everything. Depending on the year of your cruiser their are some minor uninstall/reinstall issues. I believe the late model body style began in 78. The folks at aqualu are extremly nice and helpful. I purchased my tub from a club member and it was missing some hardware. I called Aqualu and they sent me what I needed free of charge. They didn't even charge me for postage.

If they won't send you one I will be glad to copy mine and send you a copy for the cost of the tape and shipping but this may take longer as would have to either borrow another VCR or take it to a copy shop when I get some free time.

Kevin

Hate to be a naysayer but??!! why not a steel tub? Nothing wrong with acualu but I owned Land Rovers for a long time and I understand aluminum. SOR sells tubs for a good price. I have installed the alum tubs and the bigggest thing is to use SS bolts.

David- Cruiser Solutions is right up here in NH, so I wouldnt need to pay for shipping. Also, I dont ever want to take the tub off after I put it on. I have a buddy who can gelcoat the tub and awlgrip it as well (He works at a boat shop) so I may end up saving some money on the painting part of it, I know that painting Al can be expensive.

Good call on the SS nuts and bolts.

Kevin- Thanks for the offer! I will give Aqualu a call today and see if they will send me a video. What year is your 40? Mine is a 79, so it will be slightly different than the older ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom