1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40 rear axles

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Jonx4x4, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Jonx4x4

Jonx4x4

Just how strong are FJ-40 rear axles?

Just to give you an idea of how hard I wheel... If I cant crawl up a hill, Im gonna give it more and more gas until I finally get up it... so it may involve some pretty rough landings, but I wont be trying to launch it up in the air or anything...

What do yall think?

2. hendo

hendo

put it this way ,i put a 550 horse race motor in my cruser broke two transfer cases and one stock gear box,then put in a centered stock fj rear end with a atlas and never broke anything in the stock rear with even slamming gears raceing on the street

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Don't hear about 40 rears breaking much, only time I ever heard was a 60 series guy back on the SOR forum that got his tires/axle wedged in some rock really hard and actually managed to twist the axle housing. ??? Other than that, I think they are pretty strong, full-floating off of 45's or conversions being the strongest.
    Edit: now that Jm mentions it, the 60 that twisted the housing was still running a stock d-train as well. Just shows the amount of torque that I-6 makes. :D

4. jm

jm

I've seen 3 break in the last 2 or 3 years... 2 in cruisers still running the 2F... one on 35s the other 36s... twisted/snapped the shaft. Saw another one that was snapped off such that it looked laser cut... and only one of the 3 was really working (trying to pull another dead rig up a rock hill) when it finally went... so they do fail.

jm

5. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    breakable, yes...common, no. I've done one in 15 years. IMO, they aren't worth the $$$ to upgrade, you can buy spare used shafts cheaply.

I also know SpaceGhost has busted at least one, if not more, but that's in competition form, and it broke in part cause he had busted front components already.