40 rear axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
wakeup.to
Just how strong are FJ-40 rear axles?

Just to give you an idea of how hard I wheel... If I cant crawl up a hill, Im gonna give it more and more gas until I finally get up it... so it may involve some pretty rough landings, but I wont be trying to launch it up in the air or anything...

What do yall think?

put it this way ,i put a 550 horse race motor in my cruser broke two transfer cases and one stock gear box,then put in a centered stock fj rear end with a atlas and never broke anything in the stock rear with even slamming gears raceing on the street

Don't hear about 40 rears breaking much, only time I ever heard was a 60 series guy back on the SOR forum that got his tires/axle wedged in some rock really hard and actually managed to twist the axle housing. ??? Other than that, I think they are pretty strong, full-floating off of 45's or conversions being the strongest.
Edit: now that Jm mentions it, the 60 that twisted the housing was still running a stock d-train as well. Just shows the amount of torque that I-6 makes. :D

I've seen 3 break in the last 2 or 3 years... 2 in cruisers still running the 2F... one on 35s the other 36s... twisted/snapped the shaft. Saw another one that was snapped off such that it looked laser cut... and only one of the 3 was really working (trying to pull another dead rig up a rock hill) when it finally went... so they do fail.

jm

breakable, yes...common, no. I've done one in 15 years. IMO, they aren't worth the $$$ to upgrade, you can buy spare used shafts cheaply.

I also know SpaceGhost has busted at least one, if not more, but that's in competition form, and it broke in part cause he had busted front components already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom