40 newbie needs help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 3 speed floor shift conversion for my 40, I have looked around a little about the best way to go about installing it so if anyone has some input I would greatly appereciate it.

It's not that hard, I just did this to my '69. You'll need to pull the old linkage off of the column, remove steering wheel, plate at the fire wall/ steering column, slide the column up and off of the steering shaft, since your old steering shaft is probably one piece into the steering box you'll need to slide the remaining parts up the shaft and through the fire wall to get it off. Put the column back over the shaft and button up and replace steering wheel. Make sure tranny is in neutral when you pull the old plate/linkage off. The new plate/shifter will fit on real easy.I took some measurements from the fire wall to the center of the stick and from the side of where the tranny hump lip to the center of the stick, A small level helps here, transferred those measurements to the hump and used a 3" hole saw at the in of a drill and drilled a hole in the exact spot. might help to draw a line on the floor pan before you remove the tranny hump. Seems harder than it is. Good luck.

thanks guys. it looked like a pretty straight forward affair, how do you like the floor shift in your '69

Last edited:
thanks guys. it looked like a pretty straight forward affair, how do you like the floor shift in your '69

I doubt you get an answer from him anytime soon :grinpimp: since he got his cruiser running he wont even answer his phone But when i did talk to him it sounds like he is digging it :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom