40 needs a new battery, options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I will be able to find this info in FAQs, nope.... The 9 years old battery (July 2003) outlived its expected life, where to buy a new one?

40 was in hiatus after the clutch slave cylinder went out early this month. Called Dan and ordered a bunch of stuff, including the master and slave cylinder. Finally got it on the road yesterday :bounce2::bounce: and went to work... but could not get it started later that evening :mad: Got a jump start and made it back. Called a few places, Costco has the best price - $65 kirkland brand, their 'book' said it will work but the guy at the counter was not sure as the older battery is huge.

Is anyone running the Kirkland brand, other options?

I'm in the battery business and what i can tell you is the costco's and sams clubs of the world relabel old rotated batteries. Don't let anyone else tell you different. Batteries, like bread are best and longer lasting when bought fresh. I can tell you hundreds of stories of people who don't think twice about buying a 30,000 car/boat/RV and then put in the cheapest battery they can find. Mind boggling. Pretty much get what you pay for.

Pretty much get what you pay for.

Normally I'd agree, but I've got a 36 month Kirkland battery that was not new when I bought my rig 5 years ago. It sits for months and has _never_ failed to start. It is not the full size of the battery tray.

I don't see any reason why Costco would have batteries around long enough for them to need to be "rotated". Where do they get the new labels? I call shenanigans on that comment.

If you want high-quality, get an Interstate battery. Napa carries them as well as other places. Don't let anyone talk you into the brand that starts with 'O'.

I just replaced 9 year old (and not yet dead) walmart with a new one. Group 27 (north) $88.

I'm partial to the Optima style (spiral cell gel type), have a redtop in mine, always fires up even after sitting for a while. Runs the winch fine too.

I'm in the battery business and what i can tell you is the costco's and sams clubs of the world relabel old rotated batteries. Don't let anyone else tell you different. Batteries, like bread are best and longer lasting when bought fresh. I can tell you hundreds of stories of people who don't think twice about buying a 30,000 car/boat/RV and then put in the cheapest battery they can find. Mind boggling. Pretty much get what you pay for.

X2

Good luck buying cheap battery's. Than take your rig miles from civilization. Maybe even need to do some winching.

Me I'll spend the extra coin for a little extra piece of mind.

Batteries are almost as bad as oil and tires for everyone having their own opinion on. Having said that, I have either Odysseys or Sears Die-hard Platinums (re-badged Odysseys) in everything I own.

I've heard good things about the Odysseys and have never had a bad experience with Sears "Die Hard" or the Interstate brand. I have a Del Star in my boat that is pure gold and has set the bar for all others. I've currently been running an Optima (yellow) in my 40 and have been impressed with it also. I don't know what's best but I do know that your rigs battery is the last place to start pinchin pennies. With that in mind get the best you can afford.

Fleet Farm special $80 install it yourself.

There is no napa in the neighborhood so I will see if anyone else carries interstate, if not it will be costco. Personally I like the quality of Costco products.

I have always had costco battery in my rigs.. Never really failed me, But I dont really do any winchin on anything other than daily driving... When we go to the drive in I just throw an spare in the back, just in case...

I

Is anyone running the Kirkland brand, other options?

Our 80 (wife's DD) has a Kirkland battery that's still going strong after 5 years. Cost around $60. Our 100 had a Kirkland battery that was 6 years old when I sold the truck, also no issues.

I ran an Optima red top, also from Costco, in my 62 for almost 7 years before it finally died. Instead of prorating the last few months of warranty, they refunded the entire purchase price and I bought another one. No complaints about Costco.

My 40 has a Sears Diehard Gold Northern spec battery, now 7 years old and still cranking. I don't recall the size but it's the largest one that would fit in the battery tray. I wish it would die so I'd have an excuse to install the dual battery setup that's been sitting on a shelf for 2 years.

This is my opinion, so take it for what it is worth: ;)

When it came time to replace the optima's that were in my Dodge cummins 4 years ago (Not sure why the one had failed-but I didn't have any kind of warranty on them as they were in the truck when I bought it. The truck was on an 01) Since I had had good luck with the red top that was in my Mini truck I decided I would buy more optima's anyway until I started talking to my father-in-law who does solar and deals with batteries all the time. He recommended checking into the Deka Dominator. It is a gell filled battery like the optima; it can be mounted anywhere, is deep cycle, and a fraction of the cost- probably because it's not so blingy! :D Needless to say, with his discount at the battery store, I went ahead and bought two. I have since had them for 4 years, have ran my camper off of the truck many times without recharging them for a long period, and have NEVER had a problem with them. I have since put one in my Cruiser also, and will not buy any other battery until I am proven that there is a better all around battery for less money.

Like I said- Take this advice for what it cost you.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom