40 inch tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOA and fo-dees are very doable, as long as yer willing to cut the snot outta the body to get the tires to fit, and/or fit up some huge bumpstops.
IMHO, SOA 60's run 35 and 37" most commonly, followed by 38-39".

Bad idea if your still running a 2f.

My two rigs, first with 39's and no cutting (yet) and yes they rub a little but I'm also not running bump stops, the second 40's bump stops up front, "self limiting" out back and lots and lots of cutting to keep it low. 3rd shows that the rear fender is cut all the way to the doors. I do have front fenders for it but they havent been put back on since the front was dove tailed yet, I will be doing that shortly I hope as i think it will look better.
3-29-10 15.jpg
9-20-10 8.jpg
9-20-10 Abby 3.jpg

I wonder how bad 40s and stock gears would be........ JK

Looking Good tapage!

Bad idea if your still running a 2f.
The 2F will actually benifit from larger tires on the highway, it's called rubber overdrive.
The Birfields, axles and steering arms on the other hand may not fair well.

If you want to run big rubber on a Cruiser your better off with different axles.

The biggest concern aside from clearance issues would definitely be brakes and axles. I run 35s with my SOA and have zero issues, I could probably fit 38s but I'm not not sure the benefits would offset the potential problems. The consensus seems to be that one should at the very least run longfields if they intend to exceed 37" of tire on a 60 series.

Brad

wow thanks for the feed back, i am working on the diffs right now planning on ordering 4:88 yukon gears, love the pics most awesome rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will consider 38s hate to cut fenders need extra height for water crossing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom