40 Family Cage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just became a Dad in October and purchased a fj40 in November! What a fall. Well Since I have the little guy I wanted to install a family cage and forward a facing seat. I have been a long time Toyota owner but have not ever been involved with the DTC Club. I would like to change that. I am going to try and make it a point to be to the next meeting.

So, Is there anybody in the Raid City Area that has the tools and expertise to help me buid a cage this spring. I have some welding experience and I mean some. I own a small 120v mig welder but I have heard not the best idea for tick walled tubing. I will put in all the hours and pay for all materials if someone would like to help.

I have a Old Con-Ferr cage that I would like to just build off of. Any thoughts or volunteers are appreciated.

Instead of a cookie cutter cage give Caleb Rupp a call. Have a look around the DTC club at some of his work.

Thanks for the advice guys! I need to give Caleb a call. I did'nt even think of that. I have not talked to him in a few years. I used to bring my fj62 to his Dad's shop when he owned it.

Call Caleb, he did my cage. He also did the fenders, bumpers and skidplate. His website is C4fabrication.com.

DSC08876.jpg

DSC08868.jpg

Wow, that is a sweet setup. Did he do the tube doors too?

Redline made the doors but Caleb could easily do it for you.

By the looks of your pics you live off of Sheridan Lake Road. If so I don't live to far from you. I would love to take a look at your rig.

Man your 40 looks good Kent. I am sure I asked before but forgot what size tires are you running 37's or 39's? Can't wait till Classic:cheers:

Hijack over

Yes, in Catron crossing. You're welcome to come check it out. I'm finishing a few things before leaving for the Chillie Challenge in New Mexico next week.

Come to the club meeting this Sat and meet some more of the local Cruisers heads. Trail run is leaving Baken Park at 9:00 then and evening meeting/potluck at Cody's house. Join us if you can.

39 Iroks, thanks!

That sucks! I have to go to Gillette to see the in-laws. Is it usually the second weekend of the month??

What kind of trail run?? I am only running 32's no lockers small lift.

What kind of trail run?? I am only running 32's no lockers small lift.

Generally they are friendly to all rigs. This time of year especially since snow makes the hard trails nearly impossible. This Sat will likely be a snow run or easier trail to play on. We often have rigs along that have no lockers and 33" tires.

That sucks! I have to go to Gillette to see the in-laws. Is it usually the second weekend of the month??

Meetings are the Friday before the 3rd Saturday of the month with the trail runs the following day.

Hey bigfj62 its Caleb Rupp. i just joined the forum because some of the guys in our club told me you are looking for someone to help with a 40 cage. As you can see, I have done cages before (thanks Kent for posting pics, and Kevin for sending people my way) and I would love to do one on your 40 too. if you havnt checked out my website already heres a link http://c4fabrication.com/ On the automotive fab page I have quite a few pics of some of he projects I hve done. Give me a call and I can help you figure out what style of cage you would like to build on your 40, 716-4393 thanks- Caleb

Hey Caleb, this is Dan Anderson. I used to bring my Red Fj62 into your Dad's shop all the time. We went to HS together for a while.

I would love to get a cage built before the weather gets warms so I can haul my kid around without worrying about a roll over. I have a two point single hoop in there right now but would like a little more protection.

I don't need anything that fancy and I cannot break the bank. I'll give you a call here soon. Thanks

Hey Caleb, this is Dan Anderson. I used to bring my Red Fj62 into your Dad's shop all the time. We went to HS together for a while.

I would love to get a cage built before the weather gets warms so I can haul my kid around without worrying about a roll over. I have a two point single hoop in there right now but would like a little more protection.

I don't need anything that fancy and I cannot break the bank. I'll give you a call here soon. Thanks

Hey Dan, how have you been? i'm sure we can come up with an economical solution for your roll cage needs. we wouldnt have to build something as intricate as Kents, thats for sure! hope to hear from you soon, thanks!

i know its already been said in the first couple of posts but the metal tech front profile cage is nice and for the money i dont think anyone can build it cheaper without making it cheaper.. labour will always be the killer unless a persons work isnt worth their time..

this all being said, at least do yourself a favour and buy the metaltech front profile hoop for a start. the rest of the cage is easy to build.. from what i have experienced, a poorly designed front A pillar that is partially in the way of your clutch pedal and one that your leg rubs every time you use the clutch pedal gets old really quick.. like really quick. as well, it takes the most advantage of cab space in the front being that the tube bends quite close to the dash pad and follows the windshield nice and close.. i cant make that sharp of a bend around the dash pad with 2 inch tube using my jd2 bender.. jd2 needs to make a 2 inch tube die that has a sharper bend than a 6.5clr..

and no affiliation with metaltech.. just a very happy customer with a few of their well designed cookie cutter products.. but there is something to be said about supporting the local businesses as well if generally you dont mind paying a little more although i am not sure what caleb charges per job nor do i know what steel prices are in South Dakota so that may be an unfair statement.. it looks like he does good work though..

i love how Redline incorporates the image of a birf in some of the tube work that they do..

also, why the drop down in the tube work at the center of the windshield?? is that supposed to be a strength advantage that i dont understand or something or is it just a style thing?? i see a lot of people doing this and i dont get it... it just seems like a place that the tube work would crush inwards, or its a place for my tall passenger to hit their head on in a crash or at a minimum just take away cab space..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom