40 exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
so how loud do ya think tri-y headers into 2 1/2" tubing with NO muffler would be, on a 2F?

i'm planning on making my own system out of 2 1/2 O.D ss tubing, the old hotroder in the shop keeps saying no muffler would'nt be TOO loud.

What are you trying to accomplish by not using mufflers?

Even running straight pipes all the way out the back would be too loud for me, but I'm an old fart.

Good luck.

i was/am planning on making one, the old timer in the shop keeps say'n i don't need it.
i also think a straight pipe would be too loud. just wondering just how loud it would be. as it is my DD.

I run a 2.5" from a header with a 40 series flowmaster on mine. It is almost too loud for me. I think the magnaflow muffler is a better sound.

I had a short straight pipe on mine with the header until I could get to the muffeler shop. It was way too loud. I bet I would get tickets for the sound if I drove it on the street.

I did this for a couple of years. Straight pipe out the back. Very noisey on the highway, not too bad in town. Cruiser ran not to good, however. Once I got a decent muffler on it, cruiser ran real good.

I read a study once and the straight pipe actually had less horsepower than the factory restritive set up. It had something to do with the scavanging of the gases.

Just don't plan on going on any TLCA events I believe mufflers are required.
Go with that new small Flow master that came out this year. It is smaller that and more compact thatn the 40 series muffler.

muffler

I agree. You really want a muffler for the little bit of backpressure and to keep you head from exploding. Otherwise you will have a hard time getting her to run right and probably loose some bottom end torque. I have the Downey header, no cat and one of those cheepo mufflers and it makes enough noise that it competes with the Mud TA wine on the highway.

As previously said ..You don't want to eliminate back pressure the valves will eventually blow try the summit turbo mufflers they are $20 they sound good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom