40 doing field work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Last Thursday I was out doing a little biological field work on some timber lands. Roads on timber lands, at least in Alabama, range from well maintained to virtually non-existent. The road I was on at the time gave every impression of being one of the reasonably maintained roads. This was an illusion. A deep grassy median ran down the center which hid the perils lying in wait. As I was puttering along in 1st gear just doing a little visual observation, checking the map, etc. I was met with a sudden jolting WHAM with forward progress ending. Junk flew around in the cab of the 40, the rear became slightly airborne as the Cruiser did a very mild nose stand (at least it seemed like it), and the engine stalled. I climbed out to see the cause of my difficulty. The right front tire had dropped into a 4 foot deep hole where the road was being undercut by an ephemral stream. At least the left front tire was still on firm ground as was the bumper.
Img_1317.jpg
Img_1318.jpg
Img_1321.jpg

So I'm stuck, what to do? At least there is a decent anchor within 20 or so feet of the rear of the Cruiser. I drag out chains and the Hi-Lift, hook it up and begin cranking away. Backwards is the only direction to go. I max out the run on the Hi-Lift, lock the hubs, pop the t-case in 4 lo, and attempt to back out. No go. All I accomplish is to now have the left front tire begin to drop into a hole. I take another look beneath the Cruiser and there is a small window of daylight under the front axle. So I pull out the winch cable, snake it under the 40 and back to the tree. I tightened the cable to the point that the winch stalls. It's pulling the front tires down and against the sides of the holes and the tires are not riding up. But now with tension on the winch cable I give it another shot. 4 lo, reverse, gas, hit the winch control and the Cruiser climbs on out.

Just another day on the job.
Img_1330.jpg
Img_1337.jpg
Img_1349.jpg

good work........workout :)

The pic with you in the hole really shows how deep it was.

The only possible effect I've noticed from this is that the steering seems a little off, but the steering has always been loose. The only noticeable damage was to the right rear quarter panel. When the tail of the 40 came down the right rear tire was stuffed hard into the wheel well to the extent that the lip of the 1/4 panel was bent in.

Dude that's some serious field work! Nice job documenting the whole ordeal too. :D

Had a similar run in with the Ford a couple months back. Driving along side of the road eyeing a potential fishing pond when BAM. Lucky airbags didn't go off. $500 deductible down the drain for subframe repairs. FAWKING ditch. Those weeds were like 6 ft high. :eek:
1.JPG
2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom