4 wheel parts wheels rub calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, sorry to all those that have seen this same question on the LCML.

I want some new 15x8 wheels. I would prefer black, but I could always paint white ones black. I have seen many people on the LCML and other lists say that 4wheel parts wholesalers has a black 15x8 rockcrawler that fits disk brake axles. It was a 3.5 inch backspacing, and the part number TEC1 51-5883S3.5, and is manufactured by TECH 1.

http://www.4wheelparts.com:80/product2.asp?imseqn=534&occlass=TECH&cat=WHE

So I went to the local 4 wheel parts store, and ordered a wheel. When I got the wheel, it had a slightly different part number-- PCW 51-5883S3.5, and said it was manufactured by Pro-Comp. I called 4 wheel parts, and they said it was the same wheel. Pro-Comp bought TECH 1.

I went home and tried it out and it did not fit. It has the 3.5 inch back spacing that we need to clear the tie rod end, but it rubs on the caliber. Not a lot, but it definitely rubs. The spokes of the wheels rub on the calipers. The spokes curve back at their edge -- probably to make it look a little better, and it is there is a little lip on the back of the openings where it rubs on the calipers. The spokes on my current wheels are flat, and don't have this problem.

I have done some searches on the list, POR and here, and have found that a couple of people have had this problem-- LandPimp and 1973Guppie to name two.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=6736

Some suggested grinding the calipers. That makes me more the in a bit nervous. The wheel is hitting the caliper in the middle of the caliper. It seems like it would make more sense to just grind that offending portion of the lip off the wheels. Anybody tried that? Anybody know how much clearance you actually need to be ok?

thanks

jared

I ground the caliper and the back of the D rings a little. I had a spacer but with the spacer on there wasn't enough lug stud left to mount the wheel properly.

grind the caliper...doesn't take much, and there is plenty of material there. Mine have been ground for, oh, 10 years with zero problems.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63147#msg63147 date=1068841994]
grind the caliper...doesn't take much, and there is plenty of material there. Mine have been ground for, oh, 10 years with zero problems.
[/quote]

I have got this recommandation from several people but I have a couple of questions. It seems like the wheel is touching in the middle of the caliper-- well, that is actually hard to describe. It is rubbing on the side closer to the hub -- but not all the way to the edge. So do you just grind away the whole inner side, or just a little groove where it would touch otherwise?

I am suprised that more people do not just grind away the lip off the wheel given that it seems to be mostly decorative-- and given the relative importance of the caliper.

Jared

it actually touches the rounded edge of the large cup portion of the caliper....put some chalk on it and you'll see where it rubs off. It really doesn't take but 1/8" of grind work to clear, not even that.

[quote author=sjpitts link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63173#msg63173 date=1068844546]
I am suprised that more people do not just grind away the lip off the wheel given that it seems to be mostly decorative-- and given the relative importance of the caliper.

Jared
[/quote]

That would make an unbalanced rim. Not good.

You can grind quite a bit off the caliper before you'd cause a problem. Jack it up, throw the rim on, see where it rubs, grind, try it again, grind, spin the wheel, grind...

If yer really against it, go to 16" rims.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63179#msg63179 date=1068844777]
it actually touches the rounded edge of the large cup portion of the caliper....put some chalk on it and you'll see where it rubs off. It really doesn't take but 1/8" of grind work to clear, not even that.
[/quote]

You got a picture of what it looks like?

thanks

Jared

[quote author=Dinkleberry link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63180#msg63180 date=1068845035]
That would make an unbalanced rim. Not good.

You can grind quite a bit off the caliper before you'd cause a problem. Jack it up, throw the rim on, see where it rubs, grind, try it again, grind, spin the wheel, grind...

If yer really against it, go to 16" rims.
[/quote]

I did not think about unbalancing the rim. I could see how that would be problem, although since you are taking the lip off the whole thing around, it seems like it could be minimized.

I thought about going to a 16 inch rim so I could share tires with my 93 FJZ80, but I don't know if it would work given the different backspacing issues. Plus, it since it is really the curve of the spokes that is a problem, I am not sure it would make much of a difference

jared

grind caliper, its no big deal or problem, they have lots of meat on em.

John H(with ground calipers)

[quote author=sjpitts link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63185#msg63185 date=1068845194]
You got a picture of what it looks like?
[/quote]

I don't...and I'm won't be able to post up any pics until next week...

Once you get in there and look, it's fairly obvious....

If I happen to break front axles this weekend and things come apart, I'll be sure to get an action shot....lol

I ordered wheel from 4 wheel parts and they insisted that i needed 2.5 inch backspacing. I told the guy that the wheels i was replacing had 3.5, the stockers were about 3.5 and i knew they would fit. He told me that "NO MATTER WHAT, WE WILL NOT TAKE A RETURN ON WHEELS WITH A 3.5 BACKSPACING FOR A LC. EVEN IF THERE IS SHIPPING DMAGE" fawk em. They fit fine and rub ever so sligtly, not that the backspacing would affect that. I torqued em down, the wheel spin with a shhh, shhh, shhh sound from the rubbing, i drove it, and the caliper/wheel ground whatever small interference was there away

[quote author=cavsfj40 link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63228#msg63228 date=1068849672]
I ordered wheel from 4 wheel parts and they insisted that i needed 2.5 inch backspacing. I told the guy that the wheels i was replacing had 3.5, the stockers were about 3.5 and i knew they would fit. He told me that "NO MATTER WHAT, WE WILL NOT TAKE A RETURN ON WHEELS WITH A 3.5 BACKSPACING FOR A LC. EVEN IF THERE IS SHIPPING DMAGE" fawk em. They fit fine and rub ever so sligtly, not that the backspacing would affect that. I torqued em down, the wheel spin with a shhh, shhh, shhh sound from the rubbing, i drove it, and the caliper/wheel ground whatever small interference was there away
[/quote]

This is exactly how the wheel is rubbing for me---- just enough to hear and leave a little scratch on the caliper. But I haven't torqued it down.

Funny thing-- when I bought the wheel (I only bought one to test it) at the store, he said I could return it if I didn't torque it down. But when I called the 1800 number to ask about it, they did say that they would not fit LCs. I suspect that everyone who reads these boards got on the bandwagon of using these wheels, and then ProComp changed something with the wheel and they don't fit any more. I could see that causing alot of unhappy returns.

I have seen where some have used a white spoke rim from discount tire. I am going to see what they can get me--- If I want black I will just paint it. It seems like there are lots of cheap wheels out there with the "flat" spokes that will not rub the calipers-- now if I can just find a set that has the right backspacing.

Jared

I got my 4WP's TEC wheels well over a year ago, I'm pretty sure they are not the Pro Comp wheels. Regardless I HATE 4WP's! my bad for even giving them another shot at my biz.

Woody! You might want to remove the tech tip on the TEC wheel's, the Don't go messing with the numbers tip.....

Try a Unique wheel, white spoke in 3.75, flat backside "D"'s, these fit my 45 just fine, haven't tried them on anything else but I'm sure they fit 40/55/60/2 just fine. If you want them powder coated Les Scwhabe(I have the hardest time spelling that) $22 a wheel to powdercoat. I think the Uniques were $30.

FJ60.com has some black spokes that are "suppose" to fit(I hear they do)

John H

[quote author=sjpitts link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63255#msg63255 date=1068853042]
This is exactly how the wheel is rubbing for me---- just enough to hear and leave a little scratch on the caliper. But I haven't torqued it down.

Funny thing-- when I bought the wheel (I only bought one to test it) at the store, he said I could return it if I didn't torque it down. But when I called the 1800 number to ask about it, they did say that they would not fit LCs. I suspect that everyone who reads these boards got on the bandwagon of using these wheels, and then ProComp changed something with the wheel and they don't fit any more. I could see that causing alot of unhappy returns.

I have seen where some have used a white spoke rim from discount tire. I am going to see what they can get me--- If I want black I will just paint it. It seems like there are lots of cheap wheels out there with the "flat" spokes that will not rub the calipers-- now if I can just find a set that has the right backspacing.

Jared
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63317#msg63317 date=1068864965]
I got my 4WP's TEC wheels well over a year ago, I'm pretty sure they are not the Pro Comp wheels. Regardless I HATE 4WP's! my bad for even giving them another shot at my biz.

Woody! You might want to remove the tech tip on the TEC wheel's, the Don't go messing with the numbers tip.....

Try a Unique wheel, white spoke in 3.75, flat backside "D"'s, these fit my 45 just fine, haven't tried them on anything else but I'm sure they fit 40/55/60/2 just fine. If you want them powder coated Les Scwhabe(I have the hardest time spelling that) $22 a wheel to powdercoat. I think the Uniques were $30.

FJ60.com has some black spokes that are "suppose" to fit(I hear they do)

John H
[/quote]

Pro-Comp bought out TECH 1, but the wheels are supposed to be the same.

I think I can get those unique wheels from discount tire. They are white, and they have 3.75 backspacing (I would prefer 3.5 or 3.3) but they might work. They have flat spokes, so they might clear the caliper. I wonder if discount could order a custom backspacing on the wheels.

I thought about buying the FJ60.com wheels, but by the time you add their shipping they are pretty pricey. Does anybody know what kind of wheels those are? They look like American Racing (they have a red stripe)

Jared

Jared,
I just looked at the fj60.com site. If the wheels have a single red stripe they are probably made bu 'US Wheel' - same parent company as American Racing BUT they sell a 3.5" BS wheel and AR does not - go figure. They also will custom make smaller backspacing wheels but they do it by flipping the shell. May 3.5" fit fine but the 2.5" will not due to the shell. I might go with the 2" since I want a bit wider stance.

Anyway, alot of shops can order US Wheel - if I remember corectly, I paid about 40 bucks from a local shop for mine a while back.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Jared,

I am running T100 calipers on the front axle and this has been a major headache for me. From my experience the "D" ring style openings on rims will not work. The rear of the openings have a lip from the d ring cutout which is what hits on the calipers. The thing is that it is NOT the backspacing but the style of rims that keep the rims from fitting with the calipers. Because of the large calipers I am running even grinding would not of done the job. I did however find a solution. Ordered the "v" style opening rims from US Wheel, fitted them the other day at discount tire and they fit, they rub a very little amount in one spot on the rim but I feel that this will go away quickly with a little driving. They are 3.5 BS. They don't sell them in black, so I am having them powdercoated. These are the rims:

http://www.uswheel.com/images/wheelsBIG/spoke75-70.jpg

http://www.uswheel.com/uswset.htm

the "spoke" style rim.

HTH,

Noah

[quote author=1973Guppie link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63653#msg63653 date=1068956520]
Jared,

I am running T100 calipers on the front axle and this has been a major headache for me. From my experience the "D" ring style openings on rims will not work. The rear of the openings have a lip from the d ring cutout which is what hits on the calipers. The thing is that it is NOT the backspacing but the style of rims that keep the rims from fitting with the calipers. Because of the large calipers I am running even grinding would not of done the job. I did however find a solution. Ordered the "v" style opening rims from US Wheel, fitted them the other day at discount tire and they fit, they rub a very little amount in one spot on the rim but I feel that this will go away quickly with a little driving. They are 3.5 BS. They don't sell them in black, so I am having them powdercoated. These are the rims:

http://www.uswheel.com/images/wheelsBIG/spoke75-70.jpg

http://www.uswheel.com/uswset.htm

the "spoke" style rim.

HTH,

Noah
[/quote]

Noah

That is pretty much what I figured out. I have always known about the backspacing issue, but I never know we had a clearing the caliper issue as well. It is the same "lip" on the back of the rock-crawler syle wheel that is causing my problem. I think they put that stupid lip on the edges of the spokes to make the wheel look rounded, but for us that is a problem.

Do you have a part number for the US wheels you got? I went to Discount Tire, and they could get the plain flat-spoked wheels that will clear the caliper, but they do not show anything in a 3.5 inch backspacing that will clear the tie-rod. They only sowed 3.75 backspacing.

I looked briefly on US wheels web site and did not see any part numbers either.

The guy at discount tire said we could get probably get any wheel that US wheel makes if we could get the part number. He also said I could come in during the week and we could call US wheel and try and find it that way.

Were your US wheels white? Do you know if the flat-spoked 3.5 BS come in black?

Any body else know the part numbers for 3.5 BS flat-spoked wheels from US Wheels?

Thanks

Jared

Jared,

forget discount tire, the only reason I went with them is that they agreed to Pcoat my rims black for all the trouble they have caused me. I would call US wheel directly, tell them what you have and your issues. You have to order the BS custom from them, they only come white or chrome I believe. If you want them in black you are going to have to have them pcoated.

Noah

[quote author=sjpitts link=board=1;threadid=7546;start=msg63495#msg63495 date=1068918619]
Pro-Comp bought out TECH 1,

[/quote]

do you think they bought out american eagle also to get there alum wheel line ?? ::) they rebox EVERYTHING ProComp is owned by 4wheel Parts along with genuine steel , genuine gear and drive train warehouse .... just a FYI

I did some more checking. I found a discussion on the LCML where someone suggested a US Wheel part number 84-5860-BS325. This is a 15x8 black steel wheel with 3.25 inch backspacing. On the list, they said they could order this wheel from Summit Racing. With 3.25 inch backspacing, this wheel would obviously clear the tie rods. As a bonus, I think this actually supposed to be the stock backspacing.

The only scary part is that when you look at the picture of the "84-style" wheel, it looks to have the same sort of "lip" around the edges of the spokes that my Pro-Comp wheel does. That lip is what is causing the caliper interference problem on the Pro-Comp.

Lets see if I can insert the picture

daytona.jpg

It looks the same shape as the Pro-Comp wheel I have, but they said on the list that it worked. Of course, they said the same thing about the 4 wheel parts wheel that I have :(

I will call US Wheel tomorrow and see if I can still get this wheel, and if they have any knowledge about it clearing an FJ60 caliper.

I will also see if they have the 3.25 inch backspacing available on the plain wheel with the flat spokes

spoke75-70.jpg

Although I would prefer black to white-- but at this point I will buy white and rattle can.

Jared

PS--- sorry for the chrome wheels in the linked images. It could not be helped. I hope that linking to a picture of chrome doesn't violate any IH8MUD site policies. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom