4-wheel drive not engaging - red solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 4 wheel drive is not engaging on my 1988. My shop, which is one of the recommended ones in the spreadsheet, informed me that the blue solenoid is engaging., but the red solenoid is getting power, but not engaging. They are having trouble part. I was wonder if anyone had any leads on where I could try to find it.

there is a thread on this very subject about using a valve from another Toyota that is still available.
I don't have the link handy.
maybe this one:

Last edited:
I was able to resurrect my red solenoid with some WD40 and some gentle massaging. Basically just pump every port on the solenoid full of WD40, then just get two metal rods that can fit inside the nipples, insert each rod into the nipples that are inline with each other (the long dimension of the solenoid) and start working the rods back and forth. Took about 5 minutes of fiddling and a couple of rounds of WD40, but my red solenoid is working flawlessly now. A bunch of rust came out of it.

Of course, that only works as long as your solenoid is still electrically okay. If it's burnt out, it will not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom