4 Wheel Drive Button...without locking the hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any point at all? The manual says to press the 4WD button in the cabin, and then ensure that the hubs are locked...or something to that effect. I seem to remember a line that says that it can be actuated at any speed too.

I was just wondering...what does the 4WD button do then if the hubs need to be locked for them to work? Or maybe I'm just not understanding Mr Toyo's manual-speak? :lol:

4wd button engages four wheel drive... locking hubs just allows the front axle to deliver power to wheels (open hubs and 4wd engaged means axle rotates but no power is transferred to front wheels)

In other words... it really is pointless then... :rolleyes:

In other words... it really is pointless then... :rolleyes:

It's pointless if you want to use the four wheel drive.

If your purpose is to spin the front differential and sling the oil around in there, then it's very useful. I do this every so often in the summer, just to keep things lightly oiled if I'm not wheeling much.

Dan

Ah yes, that's a good enough reason to have it! So no drag on the engine/transmission with the button depressed? I was thinking I would need it engaged just to keep it lubed...

Ah yes, that's a good enough reason to have it! So no drag on the engine/transmission with the button depressed? I was thinking I would need it engaged just to keep it lubed...

With the button depressed you are definitely adding some drag to the driveline, but not enough to notice.

You can accomplish the same thing by locking the hubs but not shifting into 4WD.

Dan

I have my hubs locked without the button on for most of the time. This way I don't need to get out of the truck if I want to use the 4X4 option. This is especially convenient in rain and mud.

The Phoenician said:
I have my hubs locked without the button on for most of the time. This way I don't need to get out of the truck if I want to use the 4X4 option. This is especially convenient in rain and mud.

A thought just occurred to me, that if you do this constantly, wouldn't you be wearing out your tires prematurely?

A thought just occurred to me, that if you do this constantly, wouldn't you be wearing out your tires prematurely?

No. There are essentially three valves in the system - the 4wd switch, the left hub, and the right hub.

In order to have 4wd ALL three must be engaged.

If you close any one or any two valves the differential will spin but you won't get any power to the front wheels.

You only have to worry about tire wear if all three are closed... and then you need to worry about more than tire wear if you're on pavement like that.

Also: you can engage 4wd on the fly at any speed ONLY if both hubs are locked. If the hubs are unlocked and you're moving then you can't engage the 4wd button - it will either not engage or it will attempt to engage and make horrible noises.

No. There are essentially three valves in the system - the 4wd switch, the left hub, and the right hub.

In order to have 4wd ALL three must be engaged.

If you close any one or any two valves the differential will spin but you won't get any power to the front wheels.

You only have to worry about tire wear if all three are closed... and then you need to worry about more than tire wear if you're on pavement like that.

Also: you can engage 4wd on the fly at any speed ONLY if both hubs are locked. If the hubs are unlocked and you're moving then you can't engage the 4wd button - it will either not engage or it will attempt to engage and make horrible noises.

Ahhhh...that explains the horrible grinding noises I got when I pressed the button on a whim whilst driving. :eek: It does engage though, or at least I think it does, cos the the light comes on. :p

So, is it acceptable practice to drive around with the hubs locked, so that when the need suddenly arises that you need 4WD, all you'd need to do is press the button.

You know, I've never switched the 4WD on my Cruiser since I took possession of it. :eek:

Ahhhh...that explains the horrible grinding noises I got when I pressed the button on a whim whilst driving. :eek: It does engage though, or at least I think it does, cos the the light comes on. :p

So, is it acceptable practice to drive around with the hubs locked, so that when the need suddenly arises that you need 4WD, all you'd need to do is press the button.

You know, I've never switched the 4WD on my Cruiser since I took possession of it. :eek:

That's what I do for winter. That way whenever 4x4 is needed just push the button - mentioned in an earlier post. Make sure your fluids are all up to snuff first.

Sounds like a good plan! Doesn't it increase your fuel consumption though?

Sounds like a good plan! Doesn't it increase your fuel consumption though?

I don't think it would increase it anymore than having passenger in the car with you. Effectively, all its doing is spinning a drive shaft - and may the axle - and sloshing oil around. Nothing that a diesel can't handle. You'll see more drop in fuel economy because of the winter anyways - longer warm up times, wheel spin, "winter" fuel, heavier air.

I do the same. Once winter comes I lock the hubs and they stay like that till spring time. That way if the roads get sloppy, 4wd is just a button away.

I also notice that I use much more fuel in winter than summer. Could be the snow tires, winter diesel, warm up time or all the above, but definitly using more fuel.

The only time I unlock my hubs is if I'm going on the highway. Otherwise they just stay ready to go. In winter I leave them locked on the highway if there is any chance of snow. If I used 4wd less than once a week then I would probably leave them unlocked. This saves a little fuel (probably only noticeable on the highway) as well as reducing wear on the dif and transfer case seals. Once a month or so the hubs should be locked just to stir up the oil in the dif.

Pete

All good advice...thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom