4 Wheel drive and axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I know the answer... but...

If you put a 5.7 Vortec engine/transmission/ and possibly the same transfer case that was in another 4x4 that had on the fly 4x4, you would need the axles off the other vehical too?

Or is there a kit for converting the existing axles? :confused:

Hmm, not sure by your post if you want on the fly 4x4 or not? If so, I believe you will need to swap out axle's.

I will stand corrected to those more knowledgeable, but on the fly 4x4 is only possible with auto locking hubs or with split axle shafts that get activated via a vacuum line. Unless your 40 comes with these feature, which I don't know if Toyota ever installed in the 40s, then the original axle's as is won't work. Also, the vacuum switch on the split axle shafts are not ideal and there are conversions to make those a mechanical switch so the axle does not become unlocked due to loss of vacuum. I would guess that if the axle's has a split axle shaft, that would be a weak point and prone to failure at the least opportune time.

4x4 on the fly would be prefferable. I am going to mod this 40 a bit, but I do want to keep her as close to a 40 as possible.

but I do want to keep her as close to a 40 as possible.

I think that plan flew out the window a motor, tranny, and t-case ago.....

Not that i'm a purist by any means, but you can't have close to a 40 as possible but have different motor, trans, t-case, axles, etc.

Most 40's came w/drive flanges from the factory, & the dealer typically installed lockouts. W/the hubs locked or w/running drive flanges, you can shift into and out of 4 wheel high on the fly up to a certain speed. I typically let off the gas or push in the clutch to shift. I think all 4x4's need to be stopped to go in & out of low.

I think that plan flew out the window a motor, tranny, and t-case ago.....

Not that i'm a purist by any means, but you can't have close to a 40 as possible but have different motor, trans, t-case, axles, etc.

As meant by keeping the axles... The engine is siezed, it's not worth my time to rebuild an F1. So... if someone bought the from me and knew only the engine and tranny had been swapped... they might color themselves lucky if they wanted to get a F2 engine.

my old vacum fj40s would shift into 4x4 at 40 or 50 mph,dont know what would be the difference on your setup.

What are you referring to as 'on the fly' 4x4?

Alot of Land Cruisers came from the factory with a drive flange that connected the wheel hub to the birfield stub. This meant that the front axles, diff and driveshaft were spinning all of the time. Many dealers installed aftermarket (Warn, Selectro, etc) manual locking hubs in an effort to 1. reduce wear on the front end components and 2. reduce fuel consumption.

These drive flanges are still available (bobby long sells a cro-mo drive flange, and the drive flange from the front of an 80 series will work as well). You could swap those parts out and then all you would need to do to have 4 wheel drive is pull the t-case lever putting the truck into 4WD.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom