Wanted 4 speed transmission and transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MAO

Threads
guys, Im planing to do a swap from a 3 sp to a 4 or even 5 speed on my fj40. Im trying to source a tranny and transfer case near San Diego if possible... let me know if you've got one

you will need more than just the trans and transfer case.
bellhousing and driveshafts come to mind

I knew I'd get help here!. Now I'm wondering if its even worth it.. has any one actually done it?

I knew I'd get help here!. Now I'm wondering if its even worth it.. has any one actually done it?

There have been quite a few posts on the subject you can search on.

I installed a 4-speed transmission/transfer case in my '71 FJ40. Needed: transmission and transfer case (I got mine from a '78 FJ55), bellhousing (I used the 3-speed flywheel and pressure plate), driveshafts from a later 4-speed FJ40 along with pinion flanges for the front and rear axles to match the bolt size and spacing, a later transmission hump and floor shift levers and boots, a steering wheel and column from a '75 FJ40, plus other assorted odds and ends. The later transfer case had manual front drive engagement so I was able to sell some of the vacuum transfer parts. Over the years since I've converted my front axle to disc brakes using Toyota mini-truck parts and FJ60 vented rotors, and added power steering using a mini-truck PS gearbox and a 4WD Tercel PS pump. It had a '76 2F when I bought it, so I basically have a later model FJ40 with the earlier body (which I like better).

wow!, thanks for sharing your wealth of experience bud, I appreciate it. I will continue searching and most probably start collecting all the parts to get ready to tackle the swap. Soo, if anybody reading this has some of the parts needed, let's talk..

I have all these parts in Burbank, a couple of hours up the road. I also have a very helpful customer in the OC that can get them half way to you if that's a help. Being a shop, I may not be the cheapest source. However, I also offer rebuilt units, which IMO is important, since the 4speeds often have 'hidden' issues you won't spot in a combo purchase, like worn out tailshafts.

Best

Mark

P.S. Call the shop for more info. Please do not PM me. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom