4 speed tranny question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bustin the cherry here fellas. I'm in the process of a complete rebuild of a 78. Finished the Transfer today and started on the tranny. How do I get the bearing out of the case for the output shaft. Haynes says use a puller or a srewdriver blade. First, a screwdriver ain't gonna get the job done. What kind of puller? I try to not sound like too much af an arse when I buy tools. thanks :confused:

Ya, I beat the one off of the input shaft. Then slid the input shaft off. Now it says that I'm supposed to remove the bearing off of the output shaft, then slide all of the gears out through the top cover. I already goobered up a tooth messin with the input shaft bearing. I'd hate to have a repeat performance on the backside.

I used a 8 pound sledge with a 2 inch aluminum bar as a drift to protect the treads. Nothing else was cutting it. That will be the last one I do. Good used 4speeds are cheap.

Hey, "Cornbread" can you post the bearing numbers up please? Just read them off the bearings themselves. I can't get replacements here in Guatemala from the dealer really easily. I need the counter shaft bearing numbers especially.

Oh, and getting the bearings out. Big hammer with the tranny supported somehow so you don't push it all over the garage with the hammer. You may need to do as I did and once the bearing is out of the case but still on the shaft, pull out the Dremel and cut the bearing off (that was the only way to get the output shaft bearing off the shaft so I could remove the shaft since the shaft WON'T come out with the bearing still attached).

Don't cut the bearing all the way through though. If you stop short and put a screwdriver in the slot you can probably break it the rest of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom