4 Speed Shift Cover Pin Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1972 FJ-40 that I put a 4 speed in. I needed to remove the shift to perform some work on the engine and transfer case and when I twisted the shift console cover plate one of the pins inside the top of receiving sleeve on top of the transmission fell out. I was able to recover it but am wondering the best way to reattach this pin. Having it fall into the transmission upon re-installation would not be fun and require tons more work to pull it back out etc... The first pic is looking down the top of the sleeve where the shifter attaches in the transmission. The second is of the boot and the pin. Thanks for the assistance

Shift Console Pin-2.jpg

Shift Console Pin-1.jpg

The first step would be to put a rag or suitable plug in the hole to keep anything from falling in. The pin is a press fit. Short of finding another pin that fits better I would just 'knurl' the pin shaft and put it back in. The shade tree method is use a center punch to lightly dimple the pin surface that fits into the hole, then press/tap it back into position.

Ok, thanks. I kind of figured it would be something like that. Thanks for the help.

SOR also makes a shift pin replacement kit which looks just like a modified shoulder bolt with the head cut off. I had to do that since my pins were worn.

Great thanks for the heads up ducktapeguy. I will look at their site if I can't knurl them. I dry fit it tonight and I think I might be able to do it myself. I might also put some lock tite on it just for good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom