4-speed pto gear box??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:-/Need educating. I am trying to set up my fj-40 (1978 NOV) with a pto winch. I have a 4-speed trans. Did toyota make a gear box for 4-speed? am I wasting my time looking for one? Send help!!!

Yes it does cause i have a PTO winch with my 4spd :D You will have to get the 16 spline pto gear and then..... i'm not such on the side attachment for the t-case but maybe you could get one from a 3spd case?? You would have to lengthen the shaft then by about 3"s.

Travis

The diffrence in PTO drive boxes started when they went to split cases as far as i can tell. So as long as you don't have a split case transfer you can use a 3spd PTO box..i have one from a 72? that would work with my 4spd x-fer if i was gonna use it. The only thing you need to get is the 16spline PTO gear. SOR has them used for about 65.00 dollars(don't quote me) and lengthen the d-shaft (Propeller shaft as the FSM call em :D)

Stew

Here's another PTO winch question, didn't want to start another thread-I fired off an email to AA about using a PTO winch with their $500 adapter for the sm420 to 3 spd transfer. They said no it will not work. Is this one of those "we aren't gonna say it will work, cause we don't want to be held accountable" or does it really not work? Earlier in a different thread someone mentioned that the PTO winch is compatible with a SM420 to AA adapter to 3 sdd transfer.

In my AA Catalogue it says that a PTO winch with the shaft on the driver side will work. I even look at a AA adaptor on a friends rig and i don't see why it would not.

Travis

I think that as long as you have the full input shaft into the transfer case for the PTO gear to ride on and the rear bearing in there you are A OK to use a PTO. As far as i can tell you can use the pto with the AA adapter and the marlin toybox and the new orion cast transfer from AA....not sure about the klune V or any other adapters....fairy drives maybe?

Stew

To answer the original ?, the PTO boxes off a 3spd with work with a 16 spline tranfercase as long as you get the correct 16 spline PTO drive gear for the transfercase. I have heard rumors that some of the 4speed cases have them in there, so check before you go out and buy one. You will also have to lengthen the drive shaft, not sure of the shifter, but may have to modify also.

? #2: The SM420 to Toy LC 3spd adapter I had from AA worked with a factory PTO on my old rig.  They will NOT work for PTO boxes off the rear of the transfercase.

Unless they changed the design of the adapter since then, get it and run a PTO

What do you mean by the rear of the t-case?? When I looked at the AA adaptor it was about the width of the sm465 and that was about it. The side port of the pto on the t-case to me looked totally clear.

Travis

What do you mean by the rear of the t-case??  When I looked at the AA adaptor it was about the width of the sm465 and that was about it. The side port of the pto on the t-case to me looked totally clear.  

Travis

What I mean by rear of t-case is that there were PTO units available that bolted to the rear of a 3speed case (where the cover is to access with output shaft nut and spacer). The AA spud shaft isn't as long as a stock cruiser 3speed output shaft, so a rear mounted (back of t-case) PTO box won't work.

Hope that makes sense.

I guess so..... i run a factory toyota pto winch on my 4-spd t-case.... it better work cause i'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't :flipoff2:

With a pile of things I got with my Cruiser purchase was a three speed tranny/transfer, with the PTO unit mounted to the driver's side. I simply took it off and bolted to the same place on the 74, 4 spd. transfer. (Cause I didn't know that it might not work) And it works. I don't have the PTO shaft on yet, because as mentioned, it's too short, got to make up a new one. The thing runs when shifted into gear. :dunno:

Pete_S said:
With a pile of things I got with my Cruiser purchase was a three speed tranny/transfer, with the PTO unit mounted to the driver's side. I simply took it off and bolted to the same place on the 74, 4 spd. transfer. (Cause I didn't know that it might not work) And it works. I don't have the PTO shaft on yet, because as mentioned, it's too short, got to make up a new one. The thing runs when shifted into gear. :dunno:
Pete S, would you look under your toy and let me know the make of this PTO, is it a Ramsey/ Spicer / THOMAS ? Also, is it re- verseable. DID you mount the unit on the 4 speed tranny or on the side of the transfercase? Don

Does any one Know How tto find parts/ spares for a pto drive made by THOMAS. Like to hear from you Ths. DON

cruiserrg said:
What I mean by rear of t-case is that there were PTO units available that bolted to the rear of a 3speed case (where the cover is to access with output shaft nut and spacer). The AA spud shaft isn't as long as a stock cruiser 3speed output shaft, so a rear mounted (back of t-case) PTO box won't work.

Hope that makes sense.
Can we futher this disscusion on toy 4speed gearbox/pto units--On the OLD 3speed toy gear box you were able to mount a pto on the driver's side /inspection coverlocation on the 3sp gear box itself,Forget about the transfercase for now,Chelsea, Spicer made drive units-(pto's) for the SM420/465 4speed that would bolt up and worked fine. Now- toy 4 speed gear box H4x, H41/H42 Some of the early 4 speed had two (2) insp. cover plates, 73^75, not sure of the year,Did not note the case cast # befor we gave it away!!!. When you look at a later 4speed gearbox(again -not the transfercase) ,this tranny has 1 inspection cover plate located on driver's side, Where DO I find a PTO to mount in this location?

Pete-S Would you let me know what make this PTO unit is, That was bolted to the driver's side of the 3speed toy tranny-not mounted on/driven off the transfercaseThanks, Don

Welcome Don.

Peter is talking about the stock Toyota PTO that fastens to the transfer case. There is not provisions on the Toyota three speed transmission for mounting a PTO, as there are on the earlier Toytoa four speed transmissions. A Toyota three speed transmission is about half the phisical size of a four speed. The Chelsea-style PTO box that you are talking about that could bolt to the side of a Chev 420/465 would be close to the same size as the Toyota three speed transmission.

As far as finding a PTO for the side of a Toyota four speed transmission, I would contact Marv at SOR, and see what he has to say. I have not seen one on a US truck in the 17+ years that I have been at this.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom